Technical 1242 into a 899 or 1.1 sporting?

Currently reading:
Technical 1242 into a 899 or 1.1 sporting?

Hi there,

I am really two minded at the moment, as to put a 1242 engine in my 899 or buy another 1.1 and swap it that way. So i am hoping to get some pros and cons from you guys :).

Well here is my thought

The things that they both have in common:

Same wiring loom, bolt to bolt swap, .

for the 899:

Needing new engine mounts, and may be ecu changed ? Also i heard to a little bit harder of a job and i take i will also need the gear box + the dials from the sporting.

But the car is lighter, and does not have sunroof may imply a stronger chassis ?

for the 1.1:

Easy job, same engine mount and a closer ratio gear box (so shall that need change ?)

Well the car is that little heavier ^^.

most of the information was gather here,

https://www.fiatforum.com/cinq-sei-technical/22060-cento-engine-swaps.html

so i did read the thread. i just wanna see what route would u guys take and how much do the 1242 + gear box usually cost ?

thanks thanks

Last edited:
Well i put a 1242 into my 899, tho i would say buy a sporting and start from there because you will be missing bits like the ARB. It all depends on how cheap you can purchase the bits needed to convert the 899, as it might work out cheaper as in my case to do so.

I think i spent around £110ish on the engine and the box and then everything else i picked up at the scrappy for next to nothing.

I did the 1108 into 899 for the reason of the non sunroof shell. I bough a rolled Sporting and transplanted most of the greasy bits.

Its not a bolt to bolt swap as you need the gearbox, linkages and shafts from the Sporting, along with induction and exhaust.

If the bits can be obtained seperately at reasonable cost then go that route.

Cheers

D

hmm .. so i need more bits then i thought i need,

anyone kind enough to construct a list of what i need to transplant it into the 899 shell ?

I do prefer the non-sunroof shell ...

The must have parts. ( not sure if i got it right)

Engine (1242) + engine mount
Gearbox , gearbox linkage
Induction, exhaust
What abouts things like drive shaft ? Are they all different as well ?
Speedometer from the sporting + ecu.
TB from the 1242 engine

Other bits to complete it would be

Auti-roll bar ? I would suspect having the sporting alloys would also asist handling compare to my crappy wheels :p ?

and would dropping the 1108 a much eaiser job than dropping the 1242 :)? and needing less bit ? ( i suspect no ?)

Last edited:
The drive shafts are different i think, they should come with the gearbox. As for the difference between the two engines its minimal apart from the 1242 is a little taller, but still fits no problem.

Last edited:
The sunroof isn't standard on the sporting so it certainly isn't necessary to start with an 899 from that point of view. As others have pointed out the 899 lacks an ARB, it also lacks the lowered suspension, the instruments are different, as is the gearbox and the drive shafts.

You really need a complete trashed Sporting to make the job easy, a lot of the stuff is cheap, but for instance I got quoted 65 quid the other day for the complete large moulded coolant hose from Fiat. Buying lots of little stuff will rack up a large bill fast.

Peter

from the other thread

I've got an 899 though...

To fit a FIRE engine then, you'll need:
New engine mounts
Full new exhaust (899 is a smaller bore as standard)
1108 or 1242 ecu, or have the 899 remapped
Sporting gearbox and driveshafts
Sporting gear stick, linkages and cables
Engine bay loom ideally
Clutch
Engine complete with manifolds, SPI throttle body and sensors
Induction kit or airbox
Coils, plugs and leads
Anti-roll bar would be nice
Water pipes

...and I'm sure I've missed some stuff. Really it's easier to start with a Sporting.

Is the wiring loom actually needeD??or is that just to fit the sporting dials into the car?

Last edited:
Is the wiring loom actually needeD??or is that just to fit the sporting dials into the car?

Technically no. Past 1995 the ECUs are the same, although the sensor arrangement on the engine is different so its best to say yes.

FYI Im hoping to strip the front of my 1242 Cinq around July/ August as its getting a totally different setup...so I would have a large amount of the stuff available to do a full 899cc->1242cc swap then.

ahh i see i see, would be amazing, if you don't need the parts :). and july / aug is the best time for, by then i would have finished uni

Just save me from getting a new thread.

My cinq has failed MOT on JUST the handbrake...

i got the linkage un seizge, and the guy is insisting is the brake shoe that's need changing (and that's £85 + vat, robbing bast....), but it doesn't look that bad at all.. and yes i have read that thread in the FAQ, but it doesn't say anything about the handbrake been usless (i.e not holding the car at all).

i am getting park brake efficiency 5 %.

So my solution is to get shoe + cable changed? anyone would do anything different from that? the cable is fine, but i got no idea... so might just change it.....

any advice would be amazing~!!!1

oko all the problems is sorted :).

back on topic !!

i see this in the engine sway FAQ (using the SPI 8 v punto engine )

Punto 60, up to 1997: 176.B1.000
Punto 60, from 1997 : 176.B4.000

it says from 1997, but how far can we take it ? all the way up to 2006 punto ? or up to 2003 punto or something ??

Or as long as the engine matches the engine code then is fine regardless of what year is up to ?

I'm fairly certain that the Mk2 Punto uses different mounting points so you'll need to stick to Mk1 engines for a bolt for bolt swap of the block/head. Mk2(b) is possible but will need custom engine mounts made, which makes things a little less straight forward but no where near problematic.

I seem to recall someone saying the Stilo uses the same mounting points as the centos, but that may just be my imagination getting the better of me.

I've just done this conversion,basically as long as the engine is a spi and not a mpi,it's a straightforward swap.The breaker left on a length of the exhaust downpipe from the Punto,which helps cause you do'nt then need a spacer between the manifold and the downpipe,just cut the downpipe to marry with the Chinq downpipe and weld it up,

Steve

hmm ... if is into a sporting, does it still needs the welding of the manifold ??? i just thought the sporting exchaust just bolts on to the manifold.

oko best to stick to mk1 punto then ^^ . It would be nice to put a newish punto 1242 engine into it tho :). just to save the trouble...

how many different punto is there? mk1 , mk2 ? is there mk3 ??

How much shall i expect to pay for the engine ??

Last edited:
I've just done this conversion,basically as long as the engine is a spi and not a mpi,it's a straightforward swap.The breaker left on a length of the exhaust downpipe from the Punto,which helps cause you do'nt then need a spacer between the manifold and the downpipe,just cut the downpipe to marry with the Chinq downpipe and weld it up
However you need a welder and some skill to do that, when a friend and I made up the spacer for his conversion we did it with a drill, jigsaw & a file, tools that any self respecting DIYer has in their tool kit. It also happens to be instantly removable and when you're talking about 240£ manifold that's an advantage.

ycming, a sporting will need a spacer or the downpipe modifying as the 1242cc block is about 20mm taller.

Last edited:
Back