Technical 1242 8v SPI Preparing Engine For Turboing

Currently reading:
Technical 1242 8v SPI Preparing Engine For Turboing

right, sorry to be a pain in the a*se but I am just wondering what I should change inside the engine (bearings etc.) to prepare it for turboing, as i'm considering buying another engine and putting it in my room on an engine stand and 'developing' it for turboing. I have looked at smokeme's site, but i don't think I wanna go as mad as he has with his 1242 SPI prep work :eek:

Many thanks in advance

Lenny (y)

hmm, atill not sure whether to go low or high, i know high has MASS trouble, but i still can't stop myself wanting a hi-boost turbo cinq :eek: what kinda BHP you think i'd make with a low blow and my current specs?

1242 8v, P75 cam, Tricker 40mm TB, BMC CDA induction, Mckcrich chip, Supersprint 4-2-1 manifold, Supersprint backbox, De-cat and no centre silencer.

Thanks again

Lenny (y)

yea thanks for the advice, definately makes sense, was thinking the garrett T15? unless anyones got any better ideas? I did wanna be the first to use a rotrex supercharger (unless anyone else has) but :eek: lots of money lol

I think i'll start gathering bits for the turbo soon then, after i've done the HG on the 1242, think it's gone between 2 cylinders :(

Thanks again

Lenny

all turbos have their problems, so id get another engine and take your time with it. getting everything right now will work best in the long run, and its fairly easy to change the engine over so you have not go much to worrie about there.
would consider this idea whether going low or hi

yea, would have bought the engine now if i had my way, it would be in my room right now, but my HG has gone on the 1242 :( compression testing it later on today to find out for sure, but if it has i'm gonna have to buy the bits for this at £35 , £25 for the head skimming then time to fit it lol

Cheers

Lenny

Last edited:
what kinda BHP you think i'd make with a low blow and my current specs?

1242 8v, P75 cam, Tricker 40mm TB, BMC CDA induction, Mckcrich chip, Supersprint 4-2-1 manifold, Supersprint backbox, De-cat and no centre silencer.

Well you can take the 4-2-1 manifold + decat off the list:rolleyes: unless you do abit of DIY'ing:yum: :yum:

Is there much point for the BMC either if turbo'ing?

Is this HG fail the reason for you high speed problems?

If you are doing an engine rebuild for high boost, i have read of people having blocks drilled and tapped for larger bolts or studs to increase the torque and make HG failures less of a problem.

Forged pistons will be more elegant and probably more reliable than a spacer plate....neither are that cheap though, but one is far cheaper :D, and one or the other is a necessity for high boost i believe.

Kristian

Looking at custards link €350 for forged pistons that is about £240 in real money. which is not that much more than it would cost for a decomp-plate and vernier pulley (shame they are not stock size though)

Vernier pulley is not essential though...

If money was no object then obviuosly forged pistons etc is the way to go...

But my view on using a Decomp plate is at least that would let go or the H/G before you did some serious damage eg melted pistons..

can't say i haven't thought about it! But as has been said, reliability becomes an issue almost all the time! As for the forged pistons, if they were for the standard bore, they would be here with me now! lol, well i would have bought them at least! :(

Lenny

Reliabilty how? :confused:

Almost every tub cento I know of was more unreliable than my old one that Chris now has...

Seriously De-comp plates aren't a bodge like people try and make them out to be...

At one point the bleed valve came loose on my car and it boosted all the way off a 2bar boost guage with no ill affects :eek:

Back