General 12 power outlet not working!!

Currently reading:
General 12 power outlet not working!!

I wonder if Rothy got it fixed and if he'll share the knowledge with us if so...?

He's off tomorrow to France, personally I would have made up a cig lighter flying lead with an in-line fuse from the battery but hey-ho...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes you're right Peerzy car under warranty but as stated, can't get it in, in time. Only had the car just two weeks and only tested the outlet the day I started the post to see if my sat nav had maps of Europe. Not really a helpful comment.

Yes you're right Peerzy car under warranty but as stated, can't get it in, in time. Only had the car just two weeks and only tested the outlet the day I started the post to see if my sat nav had maps of Europe. Not really a helpful comment.

Have a peek at Post 21, can you do that? Then maybe a Fiat dealer in France might help you out permanently and properly... entente cordial viva la France n all that! (y)

I know its a bit late in the day but.........

If you have a test meter, turn on your ignition and see if you have 12 volts measured between the centre contact of the socket and a convenient earth point, say the anchor point for the door stay. If you do it's an earth problem, so then check if you have earth continuity between the shell of the socket and your convenient earth point.

If you don't have 12 volts, then its a feed problem. Pull out the fuse and with ignition on, check if you have 12 volts on either terminal. With the fuse out, one should be live, and one dead. I imagine the fuse would be beween the relay and the socket, but I'm not sure. If you have power at the fuseholder, but not at the socket, then obviously there is a break in the wiring.

You are supposed to be able to get the socket out with "a special extractor tool". I can't get mine out without one, but I haven't tried hard! Hovever, if you undo the velcro at the top of the gear lever gaiter, you can undo the strong plastic clips and remove the gaiter. This then gives you good access to feel if the wires are connected to the socket.

Hope this helps, but have a good trip whatever.

Neil

Thanks for the advice NeilShep and Ffoxy. I did already test it with multimeter on outlet, no power. However good news. After speaking to the manager at Arnold Clarkes, who I have now bought my last 3 cars from he agreed to insist that the Service manager fitted me in today. (Advantage of the manager being the salesman that bought previous two cars from). Diadvantage was had to go to work in wifes shed (Frontera 2.7 td lwb with 175000 miles on it) but worth it if fixed. I know it's not a dealer but apparently one of their mechanics used to be a mechanic at local Fiat dealership and knows these cars inside out.
Will let you know what the prob was when I pick it up.

Thanks for the advice NeilShep and Ffoxy. I did already test it with multimeter on outlet, no power. However good news. After speaking to the manager at Arnold Clarkes, who I have now bought my last 3 cars from he agreed to insist that the Service manager fitted me in today. (Advantage of the manager being the salesman that bought previous two cars from). Diadvantage was had to go to work in wifes shed (Frontera 2.7 td lwb with 175000 miles on it) but worth it if fixed. I know it's not a dealer but apparently one of their mechanics used to be a mechanic at local Fiat dealership and knows these cars inside out.
Will let you know what the prob was when I pick it up.

Good stuff Rothy... people make good dealers, good people make excellent dealers. Hope you get sorted and enjoy the trip! (y)

Update. It's working yipee! Apparently big job. Took off centre console and attached the wire back on lol!! Thanks everyone though for the advice

Rothy:D

Update. It's working yipee! Apparently big job. Took off centre console and attached the wire back on lol!! Thanks everyone though for the advice

Rothy:D

Glad to hear it. Having found there is room for it, I'm thinking of putting a second socket next to the existing one, so I can plug in my satnav and phone simultaneously without a multi-way adaptor. No promises but....anyone want a guide?

By the time get home garages tend to be closed.

Garage staff have homes to go to aswell however if you said you would get there straight from work then i'm sure someone could have a look for you. Its unfair to slate the dealer & car because its inconvient for you. wHy not get it picked up/delivered while your at your work:confused:

Typical fiat by looks of it :Fix It Again Tomorrow!

Lucky i'm not the Bravo mod:mad:

Yes but if you can go to the dealer armed with some info I find it always helps. god knows most of them need it!!

Alot of them are here:rolleyes:

https://www.fiatforum.com/donations.php ;)

To T14086 Forum Moderator. I was not having a go at the dealers I was just stating a fact that they are shut by the time I get home. Take a chill pill.

Back