1 May 23 1.JPG

Punto 2012+ 11 years of ownership

Introduction

Time flies!
I can't quite believe that we have had our little 1.4 Easy for nearly 11 years now. We bought it new in 2012 and the only options we listed were cruise and full B&M.
Mileage is just over 23,000 and looking good. Looking back through the threads, I did highlight the insufficient oil pressure at start up. Fiat washed their hands of it saying it was normal, so it does continue to sound rough on initial start up, if left for a few days.

The bodywork topside is still good although the paint on the bumpers is showing signs of fading. The underside on the joints started to show some deterioration but a rub down and application of Lanogard has halted any progress - for now!

I've done all my own servicing in the main, using genuine products. Apart from the oil pressure, the only other issue was the screws holding the air filter box rotted out. It took some finding to get new ones from the dealer. The Eper was not showing the right part at the time.
The sump started to show signs of corrosion so at an early stage was treated to POR 15 paint to slow its demise.

I fitted the front fog kits and got all the other parts to make them work, but that is still a round to it job!

So overall we are pleased with the little car and won't be changing it any time soon.

Has anyone else had their Punto long term and if so what experiences have you had?
Hi. If you've read some of my posts you'll know my boy has a 2012 1.4 Punto easy too! It's a white one but he didn't buy it new, bought 2016 with, I think, high 30,000nds on it. First service I did later in 2016 I recorded the mileage at 42,323 miles. The car was bought from Evans Halshaw Renault and I wasn't expecting too much but actually it was in really good nick. I recon the front discs and pads must have been new when he bought it and everything else was in very serviceable condition. By June 2018 I'd done another big service and timing belt including water pump not because of the mileage covered (44.616) but due to it being 6 now 6 years old. This car is his work car and spends it's life traveling from the outskirts of the city into the centre so covers very small mileages but does a lot of slow running so I also really went to town on this service doing "everything" Air filter, oil filter, engine oil, cabin filter (that's not an easy one to do) spark plugs, renewed coolant when the belt was done, renewed a couple of "dim" bulbs and one blown flasher and generally stripped the brakes and freed everything off and more. Noted at that time that the clutch pedal felt "poor" and the exhaust flange bolts were very rusted. In jan 2019 in the cold and wet, N/S/R LED light unit failed - went dim. Tried drying it out with a hair dryer and it worked again for a couple of weeks then went dim again. I rang Mick/Mike at Shop4parts to order a new one and learned a) this is a common problem and b) that shortly after our cars were produced a modified led unit was introduced to production which now replaces the original and is claimed to address this problem. It's been fine ever since with the new unit fitted.

Next I saw of the car was Sept/Oct 2019 when he brought it over complaining that the clutch was only releasing when the pedal was almost on the floor. It was indeed, in fact it almost wasn't releasing at all. I bled the clutch and it got quite a bit better so I then serviced it again - oil and filter but not all other filters needed done. and gave it a general check over. Mileage now 48,547 and front brakes looking pretty rough with discs quite rusted, still about a third of the pads left though. Both front tyres renewed due to age cracking. After he'd run around in it for a couple of weeks the clutch went back to acting up so I had another look at it. no signs of any leaks from the slave so decided it had to be the master. Haynes shows this to be a "doable" job so I set about renewing it. No matter how much I swore at it I couldn't see how it comes out - it comes out past the pedal cluster into the footwell. In the end, with fingers dripping blood, literally, and the air blue with profanities, I did up the securing bolts and drove it round to Kenny Harrison where his head mechanic cut his fingers to shreds doing the change over. It appears that the Grande Punto, and maybe the EVO? are not too bad to do, but on the 2012 on Punto, the pedal cluster itself has to come out for the cylinder to be extracted. He said he never wants to do another one! The bummer is that it made very little difference and we ended up doing a complete clutch and throwing in a slave cylinder for good luck! The clutch is lovely now! It also had what I thought was a N/S driveshaft seal leaking so we put a seal in it at the same time.

Strangely I haven't documented that sometime around then the sump started weeping. I do remember it was in the depths of the cold winter weather and for that reason I chickened out (well i am in my 70s) so back it went to Kenny and his merry men and got a new sump fitted - not as expensive as you might think. Also around that time I thought the N/S gearbox seal was still leaking but further examination showed it was the gear selector shaft seal - I think this was probably the problem all along so I did that on my driveway - not a bad job to do.

Jan '21 it got a new battery and shortly after that a new exhaust system (from cat to rear) the fixing nuts on the cat flange looked just like yours and had to be torched off.

August '22 did another major service, this time with all filters etc and noted front discs now very poor, although still enough pad to not be dangerous rear shoes now three quarters worn but drums in good nick.

Jan '23 thought better of putting off the front brakes so, in the freezing cold, new front discs and pads and a general check over in preparation for it's MOT, which it passed!

I think that's everything except a couple of years ago it failed MOT because the rear hatch latch had failed so the hatch couldn't be opened. His garage, not Harrisons, couldn't get a new catch, I was sceptical about it being the catch, I thought it more likely to be the wiring where it flexes from the body to the hatch but the garage were adamant that it was the catch. I quickly got one from S4p and passed it to the garage and a day later he had his car back. It had been the catch after all!

This winter it's developed a water leak and the carpets are very wet - the car lives outside - so that's the next job for Grandad. I think the mileage is now sitting at around 57,000 and apart from needing to do rear shoes soon and fix the leak the wee car is going very well. The sump is a well known problem so didn't surprise us but the clutch problems were unexpected but that's the chance you take with buying a used vehicle, maybe it's previous owner was a pedal rider - Fiat clutch hydraulics are known for not being very robust anyway. but other than that it's been a pretty good wee runabout for him and has never failed to get him to his work. I think there's a few years in it yet.

I see you're in Edinburgh, as I am. My stomping grounds are Leith/Trinity/Warriston area, are you anywhere near? Please don't feel you have to reply of course and even then just general area will be quite enough.

Hi. If you've read some of my posts you'll know my boy has a 2012 1.4 Punto easy too! It's a white one but he didn't buy it new, bought 2016 with, I think, high 30,000nds on it. First service I did later in 2016 I recorded the mileage at 42,323 miles. The car was bought from Evans Halshaw Renault and I wasn't expecting too much but actually it was in really good nick. I recon the front discs and pads must have been new when he bought it and everything else was in very serviceable condition. By June 2018 I'd done another big service and timing belt including water pump not because of the mileage covered (44.616) but due to it being 6 now 6 years old. This car is his work car and spends it's life traveling from the outskirts of the city into the centre so covers very small mileages but does a lot of slow running so I also really went to town on this service doing "everything" Air filter, oil filter, engine oil, cabin filter (that's not an easy one to do) spark plugs, renewed coolant when the belt was done, renewed a couple of "dim" bulbs and one blown flasher and generally stripped the brakes and freed everything off and more. Noted at that time that the clutch pedal felt "poor" and the exhaust flange bolts were very rusted. In jan 2019 in the cold and wet, N/S/R LED light unit failed - went dim. Tried drying it out with a hair dryer and it worked again for a couple of weeks then went dim again. I rang Mick/Mike at Shop4parts to order a new one and learned a) this is a common problem and b) that shortly after our cars were produced a modified led unit was introduced to production which now replaces the original and is claimed to address this problem. It's been fine ever since with the new unit fitted.

Next I saw of the car was Sept/Oct 2019 when he brought it over complaining that the clutch was only releasing when the pedal was almost on the floor. It was indeed, in fact it almost wasn't releasing at all. I bled the clutch and it got quite a bit better so I then serviced it again - oil and filter but not all other filters needed done. and gave it a general check over. Mileage now 48,547 and front brakes looking pretty rough with discs quite rusted, still about a third of the pads left though. Both front tyres renewed due to age cracking. After he'd run around in it for a couple of weeks the clutch went back to acting up so I had another look at it. no signs of any leaks from the slave so decided it had to be the master. Haynes shows this to be a "doable" job so I set about renewing it. No matter how much I swore at it I couldn't see how it comes out - it comes out past the pedal cluster into the footwell. In the end, with fingers dripping blood, literally, and the air blue with profanities, I did up the securing bolts and drove it round to Kenny Harrison where his head mechanic cut his fingers to shreds doing the change over. It appears that the Grande Punto, and maybe the EVO? are not too bad to do, but on the 2012 on Punto, the pedal cluster itself has to come out for the cylinder to be extracted. He said he never wants to do another one! The bummer is that it made very little difference and we ended up doing a complete clutch and throwing in a slave cylinder for good luck! The clutch is lovely now! It also had what I thought was a N/S driveshaft seal leaking so we put a seal in it at the same time.

Strangely I haven't documented that sometime around then the sump started weeping. I do remember it was in the depths of the cold winter weather and for that reason I chickened out (well i am in my 70s) so back it went to Kenny and his merry men and got a new sump fitted - not as expensive as you might think. Also around that time I thought the N/S gearbox seal was still leaking but further examination showed it was the gear selector shaft seal - I think this was probably the problem all along so I did that on my driveway - not a bad job to do.

Jan '21 it got a new battery and shortly after that a new exhaust system (from cat to rear) the fixing nuts on the cat flange looked just like yours and had to be torched off.

August '22 did another major service, this time with all filters etc and noted front discs now very poor, although still enough pad to not be dangerous rear shoes now three quarters worn but drums in good nick.

Jan '23 thought better of putting off the front brakes so, in the freezing cold, new front discs and pads and a general check over in preparation for it's MOT, which it passed!

I think that's everything except a couple of years ago it failed MOT because the rear hatch latch had failed so the hatch couldn't be opened. His garage, not Harrisons, couldn't get a new catch, I was sceptical about it being the catch, I thought it more likely to be the wiring where it flexes from the body to the hatch but the garage were adamant that it was the catch. I quickly got one from S4p and passed it to the garage and a day later he had his car back. It had been the catch after all!

This winter it's developed a water leak and the carpets are very wet - the car lives outside - so that's the next job for Grandad. I think the mileage is now sitting at around 57,000 and apart from needing to do rear shoes soon and fix the leak the wee car is going very well. The sump is a well known problem so didn't surprise us but the clutch problems were unexpected but that's the chance you take with buying a used vehicle, maybe it's previous owner was a pedal rider - Fiat clutch hydraulics are known for not being very robust anyway. but other than that it's been a pretty good wee runabout for him and has never failed to get him to his work. I think there's a few years in it yet.

I see you're in Edinburgh, as I am. My stomping grounds are Leith/Trinity/Warriston area, are you anywhere near? Please don't feel you have to reply of course and even then just general area will be quite enough.
Hi

Thanks for the reply. It certainly shows up the weaker points of the Punto are common.

Also thank you for pointing out my location. It was Linlithgow but I am now living in exile in Englandshire. Not far from Lincoln now. I will change my location.

For all its quirks I find the Punto a nice wee car.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. It certainly shows up the weaker points of the Punto are common.

Also thank you for pointing out my location. It was Linlithgow but I am now living in exile in Englandshire. Not far from Lincoln now. I will change my location.

For all its quirks I find the Punto a nice wee car.
You're welcome. The only thing I find a bit annoying about it is that on the open road it's painfully underpowered. However for dodging around town and ferrying children to activities etc, exactly what my boy uses it for, it does the job very well - and, of course, it's easy to maintain and pretty easy to repair and spares are cheap and readily available.
Oh, forgot to mention, he's now got the "dreaded" flashing mileage indicator - Blue and me problem. Luckily it's not flattening the battery and he doesn't use the B&M so he's just living with it. When the weather warms I might try removing the unit altogether and doing a proxy alignment to stop the light flashing. Never done a proxy alignment so that'll be exciting.
All the best to you and I hope you continue to have many happy miles of FIAT motoring.
Jock

Hi all,I haven't posted on the forum for a long time but as this is a very interesting topic I want to share some of my times with my grande punto 1.416v starjet.i bought my car brand new back in march 2007 from Wilson in Epsom and I've now had my car for over 16 years and still loving it.The clutch got replaced back in 2014 due to it not engaging properly for some reason but since then it's been perfect it was fitted at a Mr clutch centre.Quite a while ago the mileage started flashing so I had the proxy alignment done and since that time it's been absolutely fine.The car had its recall for the steering shaft to be checked and re tightened back in November 2009 done by Fiat Wimbledon and all stamped and signed in the service book under the recall section so that was very good.The other problem was some water getting into the boot between the inner and outer skin so i got the boot replaced under warranty as i know this was quite a known problem with these cars.The original battery got replaced in 2018 by Fiat.it lasted 11 years so that was amazing.New battery still going fine so far.its a Magneti marelli so hope it does well too.My car parks outside as I don't have a garage but luckily it's been fine.The paint work still looks very good overall.its paint is new Orleans blue.its regularly cleaned and polished so that helps alot to keep the paint work good.Its mileage is now on 66300mls since new in 2007.over all its been very reliable and touch wood it's never let me down and always started too.As I said I still love my car and enjoy driving it and added bonus it's also ulez compliant as its euro 4 so all good for now.Its the only car I've had the longest in my many years of driving and still loving it..

Doing the maths I’ve owned one Punto or another for 16 out of the last 19 years, which surprised me to discover,

from 2004 to 2007 I had a mk1 1999-T reg lovely little car but went with my ex when we split, then in a quarter life crisis I went back to uni and change careers so needed to get as cheap a car to run as possible, so along came the mk2b 1.3 multijet. I had that car from 2008 till I finally sold it in 2016 also around that time 2014 -2015 I had my grande I preferred the mk2b though.

Also from 2010 - 2012 my now wife had a 1.9 HGT Diesel that died tragically in an accident

I went from 2016 - 2018 without a Punto till I got tempted by 1.6 Diesel Evo Sporting, a fairly rare car with leather interior, climate control, cruise control etc. 120hp and 17 inch alloys for just £1500 kept it till 2021 when it picked a fight with a deer, and the insurance paid out £1400, so while I’ve not owned any one Punto for quite as long as you I’ve definitely owned them for most of the last 20 years.
Sadly they stopped making the Punto in 2018 so I don’t anticipate owning any more now. I did nearly get tempted by a panda cross at a very good price recently but I don’t have time to play about with cars these days 🙁 which is probably a good thing given how knackered my back is now

Hi Andy

I agree - no more since they stopped production.

We have had 3 GPs in total. A 2006 1.4 in New Orleans blue (one of the best fours in my opinion) followed by a 2008 T-jet in Rossi red. The T-jet was a brilliant car and it still lives according to the DVLA. FY08 BPF. My wife nicknamed it Best Punto Forever to help her remember the reg.

The current one we bought as a lifetime car - never going to change or sell it. I coated all the brake pipes etc in grease from day 1 to ensure longevity.

It is interesting reading some of the issues others have had. My daughter’s Punto has had the flashing dash syndrome but so far so good with our.

Thank you for all the responses.

Hi Andy

I agree - no more since they stopped production.

We have had 3 GPs in total. A 2006 1.4 in New Orleans blue (one of the best fours in my opinion) followed by a 2008 T-jet in Rossi red. The T-jet was a brilliant car and it still lives according to the DVLA. FY08 BPF. My wife nicknamed it Best Punto Forever to help her remember the reg.

The current one we bought as a lifetime car - never going to change or sell it. I coated all the brake pipes etc in grease from day 1 to ensure longevity.

It is interesting reading some of the issues others have had. My daughter’s Punto has had the flashing dash syndrome but so far so good with our.

Thank you for all the responses.

Thanks a lot! If you want to choose an essay topic and get a high grade, go to this https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/frankenstein/ website. This can help you choose the ideal essay to complete your academic assignments.
Nice :) Punto is all time my favorite car.

Back