100w main beam lamps

Currently reading:
100w main beam lamps

O

orange bravo

any of you guys got the above on your car? i know they are illegal,but how would p.c plod find out?i've seen a few on ebay, some white/blue ones, and i fancy some.any tips?

there well aware of these bulubs and will pull you if they think there over the top, more to the point your in a hole world of pain of vosa see it

and they stop people were i live

i think the car is designed to handle 55w, pulling 100w though the system and the additional heat thats going to cause may well lead to trouble

imop, unless you want a excuse for the cops to pull you, i wouldn't bother

cheers.i'll get some 55w ice blue/white ones for my main beam, to match my dip lamp. i got some bright white LED's for the sidelight, they look the dogs. i hate the yellow tint of normal lamps. i took a while to get used to the white light, but i think it's a better light to drive with.

It is well documented on here that I have 100 watt bulbs in my main beam and have had for many years. I have never been stopped. I check the wiring and bulb holders every couple of weeks (especially in winter) and there is no damage whatsoever.

Night Breaker bulbs (55w) are supposed to put out 90% more light than standard 55w halogen bulbs. Hypothetically, 55 + 90% = 104. How are plod going to tell the difference between NBs and 100 watt halogen bulbs? Indeed, NBs are supposed to give a whiter light. I'd have thought that'd make plod more wary of them being illegal.

100s. Fit 'em and forget 'em.
Better still, fit Night Breakers. That's what I will be doing as and when the 100s fail.

Mark.
Council estate lad.
And proud of it!
A battle of wits with the unarmed is no fun!

15398a.jpg

Member of the Guild of Experienced Motorists. Lapsed.

Ive got 100watt main beams too, hasn't affected anything, but doesn't seem too much brighter, i will give some NB's a go eventually.

oh and if youve got marea lights,there supposed to work a treat with th NB's.

100w bulbs

i think they might well be alegal. anyway if you don't relay the main beam circuit if oyu put in higher than std 55W bulbds then the wiring cannot take the increased current and melts so you run the risk of your car catchin fire or at very least burnin out your column switch. italian lectrics were never brilliant so can't help think running a high current bulb on std wiring is asking for trouble. unless of course you relay the circuit and use higher current rated wiring and of course fuse the circuit.

i've bought some osram night breakers from ebay. hopefully they should arrive today or tomorrow. will let you know what they are like.i think i'll use them on the dip beam, and use my existing ice white ones i've geot on the dip now, on the main beam.

Anonymous, you obviously haven't read my post above!
No problem with my wiring in about 8 years of having the 100s fitted, main beam only.

You are right about them being alegal (sic) errr illegal, even though they probably only put out about the same amount of light as the 55w Night Breakers.

Mark.
Council estate lad.
And proud of it!
A battle of wits with the unarmed is no fun!

15398a.jpg

Member of the Guild of Experienced Motorists. Lapsed.

im confused now lol sorry 2 be dumb but what do you class has 'Dipped beam' and 'Main beam'?
Dipped beam as in Driving lights/headlights as ive always said? and Main beam for Full beam?
Ive always known lights as sidelights,Headlights and full beam lol

Well ur sideghts r ur sidelights. "Headlights" = "Dipped beam" & "Main beam" = "full beam".
:)

Any1 correct me please if I've got it wrong

side=little light
dip= driving light
main= it's the "big light"

lights ? omg, when i took my driving test, that was part requirement to know the cars bits n bobs, lights etc are called, or no licence.

still, explains why we still see so many lunatics behind a wheel.

Osram nightbreakers are imop the best legal 55w bulb, and mine sit in marea light for so much more improvement over stsndard fiat headlights.

Would it be ok to run nightbreakers in headlight/dipped? aswell as main?

Lol @ OrangeBravo - You could not have put it any simpler.

Fiat Bravo 1.2 80sx -

You can 55w nightbreakers on dipped, full beam and/or the fogs.

Longest Serving BOO Member
sig2.jpg

Bravo: Nov 01 80SX / 75,000 miles
Coupe: Feb 97 20V N/A / 135,000 miles

A 100 Watt bulb draws almost twice the current as a 55W bulb.
Power (P) =Current (I) x Volts (V).

So I = P / V

So for 55W bulbs I = 55/12 = 4.6 Amps
for 100W bulbs I=100/12 = 8.3 Amps
You must always use wiring with a higher current rating then current actually flowing and an suitable rated in-line fuse for obvious reasons - fire. I doubt very much you can even see the wiring for your main beam circuits let alone check it especially the wiring to your column switch which will be buried deep in the loom under your dash. What's that buring smell................
One only has to think of a certain American Puppet show with a star billing frog and pig Welcome to the Puppet Show.........

Cheers for that insy, seens as people rave about em, i mightaswell give em a try!

Oh Mr Anonymous, you make my ribs ache!!

Pray tell, what, exactly, is the rating of the wiring fitted to the Bravo main beam circuit? And what amperage is it tested to?

to be fair, i installed a set of 55w...im not sure what they were, philips somethings, they are road legal and give a white light.
and there great, 3 x better than they were