General 1.9 Multijet Limp Mode No DTCs

Currently reading:
General 1.9 Multijet Limp Mode No DTCs

Sheffy

Hi there

First time poster and first time fiat owner.

Bought this car in limp mode and shortly after driving a P0401 code presented (insufficient EGR flow). I had the EGR replaced, all ports cleaned including the inlet manifold. Code cleared and no EML. However, the car is still in limp mode.

Had a similar fault on our Saab 9-3 which also shares a fiat engine (z19dth) which was fixed with an egr replacement.

Without DTCs I am at a loss at what to do next without wasting money on sensors, turbo, DPF etc.

The symptoms are low power, cannot rev past 3500, no EML. The glow plug light flashes occasionally which I have read could be DPF related. Starts fine so far.

Is it worth getting a multiecuscan compatible ELM and scanning it on there? I presume my OPCOM reader won't work..

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hi

Bit the bullet and bought the multiecuscan and got the registered version.

So, only fault present after resetting codes was glow plug circuit which I'm not fussed about for now.

Tried a regen and it fails once up to 400c and a plume of smoke comes from around the Flexi pipe. I think the Flexi pipe has a split under high load or high pressures and this doesn't allow the DPF to regen. However because of the split, the computer isn't throwing a DPF code and it says it has completed a regen. The MES says "Injected quantities out of permitted ranges" which I don't get.

Going to get a clamp on Flexi pipe, clean the DPF with brick and patio acid and then reassemble and try a forced regen.

Any thoughts?

Anyway I'll keep the thread updated.

Replaced the flex pipe as one complete unit. Tried to do a regen and it failed at 400c again. This time it came up "engine failure", threw up a p2085 fault - EGT sensor.

The EGT sensor is reading correctly (I presume as it is very close to the cat temperature) but the previous owner has butchered the threads, so it doesn't seal properly in the DPF.

I will replace the EGT and hope that it will then allow a regen.

I think I'm getting to the bottom of the issue. If not, it's going!

Cheers

Anyone have "normal" readings for an EGT sensor? I find it strange that it isn't open circuit or any crazy readings, i.e. 999, 0 or constant.

So, the new EGT arrived broken.... Ordered another.

Mechanic managed to repair the existing EGT sensor with a brake pipe fitting to replace the knackered threads.

We then tried to run a regen, same issue p2085 - EGT sensor high reading.

When the forced regen failed it momentarily read 999.98°C. We presume the sensor is going dead at that resistance and the ECU cancels the regen due to the 'high temperature'.

Any thoughts?

Update:

Fitted the new EGT which reads fine now. I then tried a forced regen and it failed again, same as before. The MES again says: "Injected quantities out of permitted ranges". Is this an injector fault?

The car is still in limp mode but no other faults and no engine management light. The only fault code is now P0683 - glow plug circuit.

Anyone got any ideas?

I think you want to got the new Bravo section, this is for the 94-01 cars and from diesels the newest one was the JTD, not multijet.

Just noticed that I replied to this, was supposed to go to the thread on Brava/Bravo forum. Just came here to see the issues

Back