General 1.8 Stilo.... Good buy??

Currently reading:
General 1.8 Stilo.... Good buy??

I love my 1.8. Its class and has just a little more poke than the 1.6 and way better brakes aswell. They are a lot quicker of the mark than the JTD but the JTD is better on the motorway and on fuel. The 1.8 is a lot smoother than the JTD aswell. The 1.8 will do no less MPG than your 1.6. I know cos I have had both. Sound quite sweet too! Choce is yours, just depends on if you want that extra economy. If you are happy with your current economy then the 1.8 is a good buy.

The noisy variator i the only common fault with the 1.8 compared to 1.6 and lower.
Watch for a diesel-like sound when you start the engine.

The 1.8 is a great engine. As others have said watch out for a noisy chattering which could indicate variator issues, which can be expensive to get fixed. It's also good idea to check the oil level every week as they do need topping up a little and often.

You can easily get 40+ mpg from it too, especially on longer journeys.

Well, went to look at it, but it wasnt brilliant. The bonnet wasnt sitting right on one side, and it was a little noisy on start up. The guy at the garage was a c**k, telling me he was doing me a favour by giving me £1700 for mine.... Looks like im gonna be getting a GP sporting instead :)

how can you get 40+mpg? I'm doing 60mph on the motorway and can only just get 40. My daily commute is 20 miles down the M40 - apart from that I do a bit of town driving and average 32.6.

No, quicker than a standard jtd an pure acceleration full stoprevving hard through the gears. Not quicker on in gear acceleration on motorway.

the remap on the 1.8 is also 150-160 bhp too, so its down to economy and noise. good car cracking engine, hence why they chose to use this engine in the rally cars;)

Not quicker on in gear acceleration on motorway.

mine is:p:p:p:p:D

This variator problem...is it common on the 1.6 too? Mine is pretty noisy on startup but quiet and smooth once warmed up??

err it would have a job, it aint got one:confused:;)

only the 1.8 and the 2.4 have the variator (vvt);)

the noise your hearing is quite common on the 1.6 ;)

Last edited:
how can you get 40+mpg? I'm doing 60mph on the motorway and can only just get 40. My daily commute is 20 miles down the M40 - apart from that I do a bit of town driving and average 32.6.

Easily. My combined average is 39.7 mpg, which is based on 30 miles A-road and city driving a day during weekdays, and maybe 100 miles mostly motorway at weekends. Anticipation of traffic, acelerating smoothly, using just enough right foot to keep your momentum going and not being hard on the brakes all goes a very long way to increasing your mpg.

And no, I don't drive like a granny. I recently got 44mpg on a 200 mile motorway trip, cruising at 70mph, with climate control switched on.

Besides, when you can get that mpg you don't feel guilty about burning fuel when you find a nice bit of A/B road and have some fun with the car :)

If you are only getting 32mpg then next time you are at a dealers get them to check the o2 sensors. One of mine failed last year and I was struggling to get 36mpg until it was replaced.

Not in my experience, not by a long chalk.

I think you have misread what I said. I mean the JTD is quicker without dropping down a gear because it has more torque, but the 1.8 is quicker by dropping it down through the gears and winding it up. The 1.8 also has a much high top speed. Also you can pull away in 5th at 25mph in the 1.8 but in the jtd all you would get is a lot of judder. I know these as fact cos we have both. Basically I am saying the JTD is a better motorway cruiser and the 1.8 is a better sprinter. Not much to choose between either! Both crakers in my opnion.

Back