Technical 1.6 or bigger? in a 1,1 punto mk1

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 or bigger? in a 1,1 punto mk1

Richie_Punto

Would it be possible to fit a 1.6 engine or 2.0 engine into my punto mk1.

i'm thinking of buying a 1.6 fiesta ztec engine just not sure if i can get it in?

or a 2.0 vectra engine?

Didnt think i could.

if i where to put a 1.4gt in what work would this include would it be a straight engine and ecu swap?

problem is i've spent alot of money on a kit, retrim etc but i want more power so its not as easy as change cars.

To be fair if i could gain the extra speed and performance any other way id go for that would be the easyer option i was thinking along the lines of a big bore head, new throttle body etc not sure how much bhp this will add tho.

Last edited:
I reckon you could get about 92bhp out of the 1.2 8v without spending more than about £500
e.g.
1.1-1.28v 75bhp engine ~£200 (gearbox is the same as are engine mounts I think), that price would include ecu/fuelpump/fuel regulator etc
34mm to 43mm throttle body bore by tricker ~£90
GSR induction kit and big ass plenum and you need a cinq 899cc or 1.1 'bob' ~ £120
used supersprint or similar manifold and down pipe, the rest you can get in time, start at the manifold.

that lot coupled with a near complete engine rebuild (which doesn't take that long especially when on the previous day some scrotes stole your tools :mad: ), and a rebore/hone etc and a quick head rebuild (maybe a bit of polishing can be done here if you have the patiance) should give about the 90bhp mark.

See pandamonium's website for more info on how to get circa 115bhp out of the 1242cc (hot cams and a ceromonial dumping of all things electrical and injectionated to be replaced by some fair sized downdraught carbs:slayer: )

faster4_tec said:
I reckon you could get about 92bhp out of the 1.2 8v without spending more than about £500
e.g.
1.1-1.28v 75bhp engine ~£200 (gearbox is the same as are engine mounts I think), that price would include ecu/fuelpump/fuel regulator etc
GSR induction kit and big ass plenum and you need a cinq 899cc or 1.1 'bob' ~ £120
used supersprint or similar manifold and down pipe, the rest you can get in time, start at the manifold.

that lot coupled with a near complete engine rebuild (which doesn't take that long especially when on the previous day some scrotes stole your tools :mad: ), and a rebore/hone etc and a quick head rebuild (maybe a bit of polishing can be done here if you have the patiance) should give about the 90bhp mark.

See pandamonium's website for more info on how to get circa 115bhp out of the 1242cc (hot cams and a ceromonial dumping of all things electrical and injectionated to be replaced by some fair sized downdraught carbs:slayer: )
Oh dear, misinformed information and wrong pricing.

I dont know where to begin on that.

faster4_tec said:
e.g.

Tricker's TB costs 130 Euros IIRC (inc postage to/from Denmark) - he opens the TB out to 40mm, regardless of the starting opening, which would either be 30 or 32mm. I think the 38mm TB from a Punto 75 will fit, but I can't remember how much work is involved in fitting it.............:eek:

The GSR F11i/F21i costs, I believe £99.99 and that includes everything, including the Cinq 899 bob (a Sporting does NOT come with a bob, as it has a TB mounted airbox).

I may be wrong here, but I don't think the MPi 75 will fit an SPi - it certainly doesn't in a SPi Cento without a lot of work and money. You can use the 75 block and cam however, but not the 75 head/injection system.

chaos said:
Tricker's TB costs 130 Euros IIRC (inc postage to/from Denmark) - he opens the TB out to 40mm, regardless of the starting opening, which would either be 30 or 32mm. I think the 38mm TB from a Punto 75 will fit, but I can't remember how much work is involved in fitting it.............:eek:

The GSR F11i/F21i costs, I believe £99.99 and that includes everything, including the Cinq 899 bob (a Sporting does NOT come with a bob, as it has a TB mounted airbox).

I may be wrong here, but I don't think the MPi 75 will fit an SPi - it certainly doesn't in a SPi Cento without a lot of work and money. You can use the 75 block and cam however, but not the 75 head/injection system.
Thank you Chaos for correcting the prices, I was wrong for being so blunt and have had an offical warning from a moderator for it.

So a proper answer so not to upset anyone...

Yes the 75 TB is 38mm to begin with.

The problem with a punto 75 engine fitting to centos is that the wiring is on the wrong side of the car compaired to the punto 75 (not the case with the punto as its the same side).

So you need the complete engine, the engine loom and an uncoded ecu which will be available from an m reg punto 75 unless you want to do the trick with the ignition aerial (more posts on this Im sure).

It all fits and plugs into the car.

If you fit the punto 75 clocks you will also get a rev counter (if yours is an s model) and a water temp gauge.

This was bought complete from DA motors for £300 by our friend which we helped fit for him.

Behond this will be costing a lot of money and not worth it, nobody drives the same car forever...

:)

Yours best bet for a bit moore oomph would be a 1242 engine with a decent cam set up and TB, with a full remap as well as standard breathing mods.

That should see you the happ side of 75bhp if not more

Randomman said:
Yours best bet for a bit moore oomph would be a 1242 engine with a decent cam set up and TB, with a full remap as well as standard breathing mods.

That should see you the happ side of 75bhp if not more
Or just use the 75 engine and do the mods later.

1242 60spi engine = £150
1242 C&B Cam = £200
Remap? - Its a chipable eprom costing = £250+
TB? - If you mean a Tricker one its in the classifieds @ = £130
= £730 or £300 from scrap yard

Why disagree to get 75bhp in a more expensive way??

Seriously 75 engine is the best option, if you leave your standard airbox on, nobody would notice the difference either.:slayer:

The group N Cinquecento engine had a power output of 120bhp, which was a modified 1108. It will cost you as much doing something similar power wise as a 20v 2.0l conversion. With the 20v you will get the power:

American way = No cornering ability and a death trap.

The advantage of the 1108 would be having a lot more of fun. But before you even think to go into a 120bhp 1108 conversion, which would definitively be the better option than a 1/4 drag car that needs to run on rails you could look for a 1368cc FIRE engine. This would give you to start with 95+bhp and is much lighter than the 20v and still lighter than the 1242 SPI being a full alloy engine.

With a sports cat, manifold, Mk1 16v ECU (if you can't afford a more expensive standalone) a 16v Mk1 loom, slight modification to the remaining exhaust, proper induction, custom engine mount, modified throttle body, reprofiled cams and some headwork, which is finished off with a proper remap, you will have a car that is fun to drive.

Oldschool said:
The group N Cinquecento engine had a power output of 120bhp, which was a modified 1108. It will cost you as much doing something similar power wise as a 20v 2.0l conversion. With the 20v you will get the power:

American way = No cornering ability and a death trap.

The advantage of the 1108 would be having a lot more of fun. But before you even think to go into a 120bhp 1108 conversion, which would definitively be the better option than a 1/4 drag car that needs to run on rails you could look for a 1368cc FIRE engine. This would give you to start with 95+bhp and is much lighter than the 20v and still lighter than the 1242 SPI being a full alloy engine.

With a sports cat, manifold, Mk1 16v ECU (if you can't afford a more expensive standalone) a 16v Mk1 loom, slight modification to the remaining exhaust, proper induction, custom engine mount, modified throttle body, reprofiled cams and some headwork, which is finished off with a proper remap, you will have a car that is fun to drive.
Fun to drive? lol
is a ferrari alittle nippy then?

Back