Technical 1.6 Bravo overheating-Cooling sys not bleed?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 Bravo overheating-Cooling sys not bleed?

allandoc

My 1.6 Bravo 1997 has started to overheat because the radiator fan is not coming on. I bought a new radiator cooling fan switch and this solved the problem for a few days then the fan would not come on again. I then re-newed the coolant. I scwred the two bleed screws off and filled the coolant until the cooland came out the bleed holes. I then screwed them up. Everything was fine until a fews later the fan would not come on again. Could this be becasue I did not run the engine when I was trying to bleed the system?

If the system was not bled propperly I would expect the engine would not cool probably right from the start. I have no idea what it could be though.

you should run the engine when bleeding the cooling system. does sound wierd tho that it works then doesnt but yeah try running it and bleeding it.:) oh and 1 more thing, does your heater blow out hot or cold?

The Haynes Brava/Bravo manual recommends that every two years regardless of mileage the engine coolant be drained as well as the radiator be flushed and coolant be renewed.
Special care should be taken for the avoidance of airlocks. While the engine is running at operating temperature, switch on the heater and its fan and check for heat output. Lack of heat output could be due to an airlock in the system.

The heater works. I will try it and bleed it with the engine running but what about the thermostat? Have I got to wait till the car has heat up 1st and water can circulate all around engine?

You need to have the engine running and HOT, also the heater ON full, so that the coolant is circulating around the whole system. Locate all the bleed points and work along them in the right sequence, usually starting at the rad and finishing on the return from the heater. Top up with coolant if required.

Back