1.4 Cambelt problem

Currently reading:
1.4 Cambelt problem

P

Paul

Yor help needed!!! I have a '97 1.4 sx and the tensioner failed. I've fitted the new belt and tensioner and had to replace a rocker (all else seems to be OK). I have factory markings on both the crank and cam but it still doesn't start when these are correctly alligned, all I get is an occasional 'pop' as if the timing is completely out. Fiat were useless and told me the marking on the cam pulley shouldn't be relied on, so what's the point in having it then!!! Is there any way of judging the position of the cam without wasting £50+ on a setting tool? Cheers

May seem too obvious but are you sure you have put the leads back on in the right order?

Shabash!

Re: Re: 1.4 Cambelt problem

I haven't had to remove them apart from one by one to check the plugs. I did wonder whether there the ECU needed resetting due to belt failure so I followed the usual procedure of disconnecting the battery for 45+ mins then reconnected but still nothing.

Re: Re: Re: 1.4 Cambelt problem

Have you done a compression test?

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1.4 Cambelt problem

No I haven't Tom but when I took the plugs out to test for a spark there seemed to be a hell of a force individually from each pot which blew collected sand/dust into the air (I had someone else turning it over whilst I was under the bonnet) I may be being naive and I know this is no test but I'm fairly certain there are no holes.

There isn't an auto cut-off switch on these is there as it went up a fairly steep ramp onto the recovery trailer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1.4 Cambelt problem

Nope, you need to do a compression test. There is a big difference between blowing air out of the plug holes and compressing it to 150+ PSI.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1.4 Cambelt problem

Yeah, thanks for the advice, I'll do that. Always the eternal optimist!