General 1.4 16v Fiat grande punto whats your opinion?

Currently reading:
General 1.4 16v Fiat grande punto whats your opinion?

goku52

Hello I'm new to this forum and I am looking on getting a orange fiat grande punto 1.4 16v sporting but I'd like everyone's opinion on this model.

hey what model do you have ? and isn't the 1.4 16v any good ?

hey what model do you have ? and isn't the 1.4 16v any good ?

I have both lol

Tho not driven the Starjet isnt in the garage as a project. My car of the last 3yrs has been a TJet.

Everyhting is the same apart from the engine and gearbox. You just might get bored of 95bhp after awhile and not many ways to improve its bhp

My honest opinion.
It's a good looking car, no denying that.
I find the 1.4 16v, is a bit slow in the low down acceleration stakes, but has ample power when it gets going, between 30 and 60mph, its quite a nippy little thing.
In the insurance stakes, there's little in it between the 1.2 and 1.4 so go for the 1.4.

My eldest daughter has the Alfa 147, 1.9 Mjet, if this is the same engine as fitted to the GP, then it goes like stink, definitely the one to have.
Not sure what it's like on insurance though.

Everyone on here knows my opinions regarding the reliability of the GP.
I'm not alone either, recurrent faults do seem to crop up.

If your'e good with spanners and enthusiastic, go for one.
If your'e not so good with spanners, but have lots of spare cash, again go for one.
If your'e no good with spanners and skint, then i'd think about buying something else.

But that's only my opinion, and no doubt i'll get shot down again.

Last edited:
Hello I'm new to this forum and I am looking on getting a orange fiat grande punto 1.4 16v sporting but I'd like everyone's opinion on this model.

If you looking to mod the he11 out of it, try to opt for something with bigger engine and more horsey horsey under the bonnet.

How old are you? Need to consider costs?

If you're not looking to revamp the car, orange GPs are the envy of many! Like me! (y)

hey I'm 31 and I was also looking for either the 1.4 16v or a 1.9 diesel but I hear the diesel have a dpf and I used to have a Seat leon FR and they had a few problems with the dpf and I don't do long journeys anymore so I think if I got the 1.9 diesel I would have problems what your opinion though ?

It depends on how many miles you do, less than around 15k per yer and petrol generally makes more sense than diesel.

The 1.9 mjet is probably the least reliable of the GP models unfortunately due to fairly common issues with the EGR and gash Vauxhall M32 gearbox. That said they are a great car for the money if you get a good one.

As insurance isnt an issue due to your age id look at the 1.4 tjet rather than the 1.4 16v Starjet, its essentially a turbo version of the starjet but it doesnt have the M32 gearbox.

All 3 are the same trim wise unless its a late GP spec starjet so its really down to which engine best suits your budget and requirements

Dont listen to the whiners about reliability, they are no worse than any other volume produced car and if stuff does go wrong they are generally cheaper to fix than most

I got the starjet and I love it it's a great car and (touch wood) I've had no major problems with it so far. That being said I do kind of wish I had a bit more power which I would of got with the TJet.

All on preference mate, the starjets got better MPG than the TJet but you do get that extra kick from the tjet.

If your'e not so good with spanners, but have lots of spare cash, again go for one.

But that's only my opinion, and no doubt i'll get shot down again.

Haha, that's definatly me, although it's been a lot more reliable (1.2 8v) than I expected, having the fix it again tomorrow bias still in the back of my mind, personally I believe just taking overall good care of the car pretty will keep it going for a long time, my gp is better than ever now that It's been taken care of properly :p

And to the op, at your age I'm suprised you're going for a GP, since insurance isn't a bother. Why not go for an abarth, I know I would haha :D
There again I don't know your money situation, anything better than the 1.2 8v will do you good :)

Last edited:
hey I'm 31 and I was also looking for either the 1.4 16v or a 1.9 diesel but I hear the diesel have a dpf and I used to have a Seat leon FR and they had a few problems with the dpf and I don't do long journeys anymore so I think if I got the 1.9 diesel I would have problems what your opinion though ?

I think you've answered the question, regardless of DPF or not you're not suits to a diesel imo, and petrol would be a better option.

Back