Technical 1.3d 500L, 110k miles, all working normally, except 5-7 seconds of white smoke on startup

Currently reading:
Technical 1.3d 500L, 110k miles, all working normally, except 5-7 seconds of white smoke on startup

makso

Hello, I've recently acquired a 500L 1.3 diesel 2015/16 so the Euro 6 95bhp version on 110k miles.
I didn't pay much for it at all. It was a part exchange, 2 owners but limited history retained. I decided to take a risk on it based on a good test drive and it ticking a few other boxes.

I've driven it around 300 miles, it is behaving perfectly. Engine quiet and responsive. No rattle. No overheating. Clean oil, no loss of coolant, which is also clear. It starts within about a second of turning the key.

However, having owned diesels before I'm a little surprised to see a significant cloud of white diesel smelling smoke emit from the back whenever it's stood for 6-8 hours or more. This lasts for around 5 seconds, after which it is completely clear when driving, revving, accelerating or just sitting on idle.

It isn't cold weather (just under 15 degrees). The large cloud of white smoke seems to come out in pulses (in time with the engine) and its possible the idle at the very start is a little (very mildly) lumpy and I need to confirm this by watching more carefully. It doesn't look great, and isn't nice for anyone still getting into the car at this time. And I've not seen it before on any other diesel, aside from an old Renault that I struggled to start in cold weather (glow plugs) and when it finally ignited it did similar, presumably because it was flooded with diesel.

It's apparently had an oil change before I bought it, however I can't vouch for the work. I'll get it booked into my local favourite and see what they have to say. I don't know when any of the other filters/consumables were changed although it does have 12 months MOT so I assume it's passed on the emissions. It's also had a good run recently.

I'm interested in any observations..!

Last edited:
Hi, I went to film the smoke today and it produced notably less. The weather is a bit warmer and car has been in full sun.

However I now have a stop/start unavailable and a check engine warning.

I hear this is quite common and can be caused by any number of things...

Back