Technical 1.3 multijet with clogged DPF (p2002) - forced regen not working

Currently reading:
Technical 1.3 multijet with clogged DPF (p2002) - forced regen not working

FiatCurrency

Looking for help with an issue on a Fiat Punto 1.3 Multijet (84ps Euro 5 engine). Car keeps throwing code p2002 which relates to a clogged DPF filter and this is coupled with a severe loss in power making the car undriveable and dangerous - difficult to maintain speed above 20 mph and it takes an age to get there.

I shelled out on an ELM 327 usb device and a copy of Multiecuscan which I was confident would give me the tools to solve the issue, it appears to work great and talks to the cars ecu just fine. The problem is: when I execute a forced regeneration the process ends within the first minute and states "completed" with the status of the DPF still showing as clogged. From what I understand the process is supposed to last 10 minutes or more. I must of done this 7 times already turning off the car for 15 seconds between each regen but the car is still drives the same and is throwing the same code. I'm running out of ideas other than to take the dpf off the car and clean it manually or replace with a new one. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG20220623171824.jpg
    IMG20220623171824.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 415
DPF ,s have sensors usually one in front and one behind, now I have never
had the displeasure of setting eyes on a Fiat one but have a look see what's
there and if any pipes and wires are present and in good condition.

It could be that it's it is now clogged for in to do a Regen

If you get to the point you start loosing power the dpf is probably beond saving
I did think of that but it was pulling like a train the day before it decided to become an Italian moped. The complete lack of power was quite sudden. I'm not very warm to the idea of a replacing the DPF at over £300 for the part alone, I might try bathing it in an acid solution the same as this guy:
DPF ,s have sensors usually one in front and one behind, now I have never
had the displeasure of setting eyes on a Fiat one but have a look see what's
there and if any pipes and wires are present and in good condition.
Hoses and sensor look okay at a glance although I have not done any proper testing. Displeasure is not the word I honestly regret buying the car now and wish I went with a petrol model, I was blinded by the £0 road tax and 85mpg but the more you learn about modern diesels your probably going to spend money saved on repairs and fault finding with the addition of a massive headache.

I'm beginning to hate diesel cars with a passion, It's beyond personal now and become a political issue. When I got the car I went round the neighbourhood boasting about not paying road tax and how much money I was going to save and a few weeks later my cars sitting in the street bellowing smoke and leaving soot deposits on the pavement. I just tried to do the right thing buying this car and now I'm the village idiot. Sorry for the rant I just had to get that off my chest. Thanks for the replies.

How long have you had the error..?
Has the power problem been the same??
When I got the car a few weeks ago the engine light would come on intermittently but would always clear on restart. I did't think much of it at the time as the car drove fine. In hindight this might have contributed towards the problem as apparently the engine light being on (whatever the reason) prevents the car from perfoming a regen. I was not even in the know about regens at the time as the last diesel I had was a 306 1.9td which was all mechanical. Even so the car drove fine up until the day it suddenly lost all power and limped home at about 20mph. I only read the codes after the fact with a cheap obd2 reader and it came up with p2002 as a recurring fault. After a bit of reading online I honestly thought Multiecuscan would solve the problem with a forced regen and I could keep an eye on it in the future but it refuses to go through the whole process. The forced regen only takes the car up to 2000 rpm for about a minute and then comes back as complete. I tried pressing the accelerator during the regen and it will reach 3000 rpm but still completes after a minute. Didn't want to try this too many times in case I damaged anything as it's supposed to be automatic with no input from user.

Filter clogging reads at 90% but some people seem to think that's 10% clogged and 90% clear so I'm not sure about that either.

Back