Technical 1.3 JDT can you reuse bottom end bolts ?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.3 JDT can you reuse bottom end bolts ?

Dundulis

Hi everyone. This is my first post here so im quite excited. Recently i've been planing on overhauling the engine on my dad's doblo after it broke down. Seems the seller of the car wasn't too honest about the condition of the motor, it was fine for about a year but then it crapped out. When i checked the conrod bearings they were completely shot, same with the crank bearings, but somehow the head, and camshafts were in great shape.
Im about to start the job and wanted to know if the conrod and main cap bolts can be reused. Also wanted to confirm if head bolts are single use, the repair manual doesn't mention new bolts but i've read elsewhere that they need to be replace if the head is taken off.

Thanks for taking your time to read this gibberish.

Hopefully you've got yourself a workshop manual for that engine, even if not for the vehicle.

The genuine Panda manual does not mention replacing the bolts, but the Haynes does demand new bolts for big ends and crankshaft housing, and the cylinder head. As all of these are tightened using degrees of turn, rather than just a torque setting, it is standard practice to replace them. (Known as yield bolts, or stretch bolts) This method of tightening takes the bolt past its yield point, effectively stretching the bolt. They do not 'spring back' when released, so reusing them can lead to them breaking.

Check each bolt hole before fitting the bolt, If it is a blind hole, ensure it is empty, no debris, and no oil or other liquid, as tightenign down onto that will crack the component. New bolts should be 'lightly oiled'. This means just a slight surface coating of oil, often just as supplied, but don't douse them.

Back