Technical 1.2 HG curse arrgghh!! New engine, hmmm?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 HG curse arrgghh!! New engine, hmmm?

kayaker-ant

Hey guys, opinions and advice wanted!! I have a Bravo 80sx 1999 V reg

A few weeks ago I was driving along when I noticed the temperature went sky high, pulled over Immediately and let the engine cool, checked coolant and it looked low so drove steady till I found some water to top it up. Driving back the temp. seemed to be normal but I noticed a chugging noise and Increased vibration from the engine when stood still. As it was time for a service and thinking that there could be an airlock in the coolant I bled the coolant, changed the oil and filter and the plugs and the problem still persisted with the thermometer becoming increasingly twitchy getting very hot when in slow traffic. Had it checked over by a couple of mechanics and they are in a agreement that either the Head gasket or the Cylinder head has gone so im taking the head off later this week to have a propper look.

If it is the gasket then no problem but if the cylinder has cracked then Im thinking of a new engine as my gear box is crap and could do with replacing. Begin wondering about dropping a 1.6 in so had a read through as many related threads I could find and there seems to be a lot of controversy over this matter and no clear answer. I've read about dropping the newer 1.4 16v engine in but all I want to know if it is possible to drop the 1.6 engine into my 1.2 shell and what parts/work this would require, Ive seen a few 1.6 engines about with around 50k-70k miles for around £300, is this a good price?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated,

Anthony

Back