Technical 1.2 FIRE Engine?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 FIRE Engine?

Lambie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No sorry, there's not going to be a Grande Punto fire engine coming anytime soon. :(

I overheard from a mechanic that Fiat F.I.R.E. engines are non-interference, which I take means the valves don't suffer irreparable damage from belt breaks. I was curious about this engine, but I couldn't seem to find what engine mine has.

Does anyone know how to find this out without being a mechanic? (y) If anyone knows, I've got a 1.2 'Active' 2007 Grande Punto? I don't want to know so I could duck out of a belt change, I'm just curious as this appears to be extremely rare for a belt to operate in this way.

Last edited:
Whether the valves and pistons meet when a belt breaks will depend on how far the valve opens (lift). Some engines have enough space, others don't. Generally though, if there is enough space for no impact, the engine has less power. Sometimes large valves with a small lift will flow as much air as smaller valves with a higher lift. But larger valves need a bigger bore.

Original FIRE engines were non-interference. When the 1.2 went to variable valve timing, it became interference, but that might only be at certain valve timings, so might depend on engine speed at time of failure. Volunteers to donate their engines for testing might be hard to find.

If your engine is the 70hp, it is almost certainly interference, if the 60hp, then not. Another thread on this matter recently was not sure about the earlier 65hp variant.

It is a strange question to keep cropping up. If the belt is changed when due, and the water pump done at the same time, then it really does not matter. Most modern engines are interference, but the owners are not all driving worried.

Whether the valves and pistons meet when a belt breaks will depend on how far the valve opens (lift). Some engines have enough space, others don't. Generally though, if there is enough space for no impact, the engine has less power. Sometimes large valves with a small lift will flow as much air as smaller valves with a higher lift. But larger valves need a bigger bore.

Original FIRE engines were non-interference. When the 1.2 went to variable valve timing, it became interference, but that might only be at certain valve timings, so might depend on engine speed at time of failure. Volunteers to donate their engines for testing might be hard to find.

If your engine is the 70hp, it is almost certainly interference, if the 60hp, then not. Another thread on this matter recently was not sure about the earlier 65hp variant.

It is a strange question to keep cropping up. If the belt is changed when due, and the water pump done at the same time, then it really does not matter. Most modern engines are interference, but the owners are not all driving worried.

I've run a car check site and it states my car is 65 BHP :bang:

I'm not sure how you could check that? I could ask when my belt's changed but the mechanic'll probably tell me to get lost :p

I'm oddly intrigued by this. I'm not much into the mechanics of cars, more the styling, but this seems to be such an eluded mystery with the engine. It's done 65k, but it's used so I'm not 100% sure if they changed the belt after 5 years, so I might book mine in soon, wonder if it's worth asking the mechanic to check?

correct..,

however if @Lambie has used ZERO fuel,
and plans to keep this up.,
then engine SHOULD be safe..

;-)

Who needs fuel? Just a bit of elbow grease, weeks at the gym, a rope and neutral and the car's all good (y)

Back