General 1.2 Aircon question

Currently reading:
General 1.2 Aircon question

Hi guys. With this hot weather my air con is on a lot.

When it's really hot & I have air con on 4 the car sometimes vibrates through the steering wheel quite prominantly. I'm just wondering if this is normal? My Ka is coming up to 3 years old & wanna get it sorted under warranty if possible.

I've heard it can be normal for small engines to "make a fuss" with air con with noises, loud fans and vibrations but am just wondering if this is normal for the 500 1.2?

Wife uses the aircon in her 2011 POP every day without any issues. I've personally never found anything untoward with the aircon when I've been sat in as a passenger or on the very rare occasion, driven it.

You shouldn't need it on 4, 2 should do fine, with possibly 3 for a few minutes to speed it up a bit.

Have you used the A/C throughout the year by the way? I just ask because some people only use it in the summer and then find the performance has dropped. This is because the seals have dried out due to the lubricants in the gas failing to keep the rubber seals properly lubricated, resulting in gas seepage - only regular usage can prevent this. Never has there been a better instance on not using it and losing it :D

Just asking.

Get the gas checked because after three years the system probably needs topping up or totally re-gassing due to natural wastage anyway, especially if it has only been used intermittently.

My A/C is on most of the time, summer and winter, day and night, and I've only had a slight re-gassing done, four years ago. The car is nearly ten years old now and the A/C is still fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys. I went to the Ford dealer today and it's my radiator fan packing up. Luckily it's covered under warranty. £350 just for the part apparently! Warranty runs out in October so glad i sorted it now!

I use the air con on most journeys and it's still ice ice cold so don't think i'll have it done yet.

Was quite funny walking out to the car with the technician, he asks which Ka I've got, the old shape or the Fiat one? :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Great news. Sorted then. I'ts funny to see the shock when you tell them their new Ford is fact a Fiat, and built by Fiat too. I love it :devil:

Back