Technical 06 Plate Punto Selespeed gearbox - pressure accumulator replacement

Currently reading:
Technical 06 Plate Punto Selespeed gearbox - pressure accumulator replacement

townbiscuit

Hey guys,

looking for a bit of advice - not long ago bought Grande Punto 1.4 8V with selespeed gearbox for my wife. All nice and dandy for a little while then the problems kicked in. Often 'check transmission' warning in the dash, won`t go into gear at times, won`t go into auto mode, but can only drive semi-auto but most of the times these things go away either with the erase of the error code or just by driving the car. So mostly intermittent faults we could say. Recently however my wife experiences the following - comes off the highway to a stop and car gets stuck in 5th or maybe 4th. when she tries to drive car stops (probably because she tries to drive it in 4th of 5th then takes a while to start - 3-4 tries maybe). Error codes range from gear selector error (paraphrasing, cant remember) to ECU problem etc. By reading through forums one likely possible cause seems to be the pressure accumulator, which I already bought. I used to work as a mechanic so I`m confident around a car, yet I do not know the steps required to change the accumulator. I would doubt it`s a just unscrew and replace operation. Anyone replaced a selespeed accumulator before? Could you please explain the procedure? Last question - my hydraulic unit is leaking oil. Not severely but it does. Is there an o'ring kit for it which can be bought?

Going through forums seems to me that this car is plagued with gearbox problems - i assume because of the shifting system which is crap?

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. Searched through google and the forum to no avail. Could not find a single resource/tutorial on how to change the pressure accumulator. I have Multi ecu scan which has proved to be quite useful. Waiting maybe other guys on the forum can provide some directions. Otherwise it will have to be the Fiat dealer I guess. Trying to spare the money if I can however.

Thanks for the reply. Searched through google and the forum to no avail. Could not find a single resource/tutorial on how to change the pressure accumulator. I have Multi ecu scan which has proved to be quite useful. Waiting maybe other guys on the forum can provide some directions. Otherwise it will have to be the Fiat dealer I guess. Trying to spare the money if I can however.

You can get complete low mileage units for the cost of patching up yours....

Alfa indus should have 10 years experience...whereas a multifranchise may not be as confident..and of course now warranty ..as its a used assembly you are paying big money to patch.up

Charlie

Hi TB,

it's almost a remove/refitt job; the trick is you have to use the Fiat analyser to release the pressure from the accumulator, I'm pretty sure MES can do that. No need to re-learn the bite point if you don't replace clutch related part(s).

I would fully clean-up the hydraulic unit to identify where the robot is leaking and start from there. As it is leaking, have you checked the fluid level ??

BTW, if you can't release the pressure, leave the car not running for the night, DO NOT open the driver's door, disconnect the battery neg terminal and carefully unscrew the accumulator, pressure should have settled down overnight...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Hi TB,

it's almost a remove/refitt job; the trick is you have to use the Fiat analyser to release the pressure from the accumulator, I'm pretty sure MES can do that. No need to re-learn the bite point if you don't replace clutch related part(s).
]

As Bernie says, physical removal/replacement is pretty straightforward - I used a large pipe wrench to remove the old one as ir was very tight, but basically unscrew/refit.
But do not attempt until system is de-pressurised. MES can definitely do this.

You can tell if accumulator is knackered in MES - pressure reading will fluctuate almost instantly, and pump will activate almost continually. If it is working properly, the pump will raise pressure and stop, pressure should remain (very slowly reducing). Shifting gear a few times should see the pressure reduce in steps until it triggers the pump again.

Alternatively, if the pump and accumulator behave normally, but sometimes the pump fails to trigger, it could be a sticky pump motor. Can be purchased separately, although pump head may need swapping. Also fairly easy job.

However, if yours is definitely leaking Selespeed fluid you may well be in need of a refurbished unit.

You can tell if accumulator is knackered in MES - pressure reading will fluctuate almost instantly, and pump will activate almost continually. If it is working properly, the pump will raise pressure and stop, pressure should remain (very slowly reducing). Shifting gear a few times should see the pressure reduce in steps until it triggers the pump again.

I really like your diagnostic approach (y)(y)

Kind regards, Bernie

As Bernie says, physical removal/replacement is pretty straightforward - I used a large pipe wrench to remove the old one as ir was very tight, but basically unscrew/refit.
But do not attempt until system is de-pressurised. MES can definitely do this.

Alternatively, if the pump and accumulator behave normally, but sometimes the pump fails to trigger, it could be a sticky pump motor. Can be purchased separately, although pump head may need swapping. Also fairly easy job.

However, if yours is definitely leaking Selespeed fluid you may well be in need of a refurbished unit.
Hi what if the pump is capable of pumping fluid as I've checked pipes and removed pressure sensor to check if it comes out but when all together it only gets upto 2-3 bar in pressure and pump just goes on and of but no fluid being sucked up

I undo accumulator without releasing and its empty

Do you think the accumulator is knackered

Also the sensor on the end of robot that is next to reservoir if I remove it there is fluid I thought these should stay dry

I did read there is a hole before the seal could this be the reason it maybe blocked or needs making bigger

Stupid robot it's not even my car and it's stressing me out.

t has A new pump a new pressure sensor, seals checked,filter on inlet checked, correct fluid and amount in tank all sensors checked by removing plug and checking for codes and all show if disconnected

Only code ever have is hydraulic pressure low and clutch bleed does absolutely nothing to help

Just will not go above 3 bar if your lucky to get that high

I really think It's the accumulator but don't want to say replace that if it's not as I did at 1 point which might of just been a fluke got 24bar but that was when I had fitted it back with all sensors cleaned ect and no fluid leaks visible

I think I need to do a post exactly whay I have done and app steps to see if l have missed anything

Hi

The people in the know dont post that regularly..

I once had a clutch slave completely dry.. filthy fluid caused a blockage ... :(

Ive never stripped what you are describing..so cannot offer specific advice :(

My advice:

Post the tale in the Technical section

Then regulars will spot it.. the GP section is pretty quiet now the cars are 13+

You can lonk to it from other sections

500 and panda being the common users now.. qubo also

What vehicle is this.. I believe there maybe subtle changes

Hi

The people in the know dont post that regularly..

I once had a clutch slave completely dry.. filthy fluid caused a blockage ... :(

Ive never stripped what you are describing..so cannot offer specific advice :(

My advice:

Post the tale in the Technical section

Then regulars will spot it.. the GP section is pretty quiet now the cars are 13+

You can lonk to it from other sections

500 and panda being the common users now.. qubo also

What vehicle is this.. I believe there maybe subtle changes
Thanks for reply

I think it's prob same issue as the fluid when emptied was very grotty so it's probably the accumulator not able to get enough pressure and the holes in the fluid lines inside the robot are probably blocked slightly

It's a fiat 500 I only said I'd look at it for him but now it's become an obsession as I will not be beaten by a car

Il look into different threads see if there's advice

Back