Technical 05 punto both airbag and abs warning lights are on?

Currently reading:
Technical 05 punto both airbag and abs warning lights are on?

hi iv got a 05 punto active sport .Both airbag lights(passenger airbag disabled)and the red one are on constatly.the abs light was going on and off occaisionaly but is on all the time now!does anybody know what this could be or if the two are connected?
many thanx

you have a problem unfortunately that needs investigating
they are not related
the abs might be anything from a broken relucter ring to faulty abs module
the airbag light is usually down to dodgy wiring on the lead to the switch by the passenger door
it needs plugging in to the eobd socket in the fuse box and have read the stored codes and act on it ,i usually find its due to a bad battery causes airbag light showing and once codes read and cleaned and a decent battery fitted this problem goes away
abs as i say little bit more difficult and will need checking so you dont throw away money guessing at the cause

Thanx for the advice guys!checked the fuses and there fine.my fan belt was slipping a couple of weeks ago,and had to jump start it.this was about the same time the airbag light came on!ill try get it booked in for a diagnostic check.does it have 2 be a fiat dealer or can any garage do this?

took the car to a local garage,they put a scanner on it and the airbag light was down to dodgy wiring!he reset the fault and the light went off!!.He told me the abs light was down to the n/s/f wheel speed sensor.got a replacement part for £28 from a fiat dealer!(seen them on ebay for £32 second hand!) put the part on myself and the light went out!:D

Last edited:
you'll be lucky to have a fan belt :)
As your car will be one of a kind

The Punto uses a motor to drive the fan

It was probably the auxillary belt (one that drives alternator / PS / Air con) Depending what model/version you have :)

As for the Dodgey wiring, if the light does come back on - get the wiring checked - as its a fault you cant really ignore!

Ziggy

you'll be lucky to have a fan belt :)
As your car will be one of a kind

The Punto uses a motor to drive the fan

It was probably the auxillary belt (one that drives alternator / PS / Air con) Depending what model/version you have :)

As for the Dodgey wiring, if the light does come back on - get the wiring checked - as its a fault you cant really ignore!

Ziggy

when you read the fault codes for the airbag Ziggy122 it gives reason for light on,a few common faults are broken wire in wire below steering,too much clutter in glove box causing wire breakage to dash switch and the one i see most often is due to starter cranking when battery low,you read what the machine says and take appropriable action and obviously no point putting light out if its going to come straight back on, OP says he jump started car when airbag light came on :)

its nice to see OP took the advice to have car plugged in because otherwise he might have ended up changing wrong abs sensor or worse still the abs itself (i saw a chap i know have a man round to read his abs codes the other week and man with the box told him it needed a new abs pump,wasnt for me to tell him his prognosis was wrong because all he did was read what he saw on the screen,a proper auto technician would use this as a starting point not an end point)

so glad its fixed OP and at minimum spend too

well done(y)

Back