General 03/04 Mk2b 16v Active Sport rarity

Currently reading:
General 03/04 Mk2b 16v Active Sport rarity

RichieUK

Hi there. Couldn't think of a better title to the thread so here goes...

I've been saving up for a while to buy another car, and i have my heart set on a Mk2b 16v Active Sport in sprint blue with decent mileage (under 30,000), but i can't find any for sale anywhere near me (Darlington, NE). Is this quite a rare car to buy second hand or am i just been unlucky? I've spotted a few 8v versions around, but i'd really like the 16v since i already have an 8v Punto.

If i can't find one soon, i'm going to be persuaded into buying a yellow one :D

What's the different between Sporting and Active Sport? Budget is max £4,500 because insurance is going to be around £400/£500 aswel :(

What's the different between Sporting and Active Sport? Budget is max £4,500 because insurance is going to be around £400/£500 aswel :(

The sporting has a six speed box which makes it a bit quicker, i know on mk2 it has a spoiler and side skirts aswell and leather steering wheel.

You should be able to get a pretty much new car for that amount of cash really,

I've recently bought an 8v Active Sport for £3,700 on a 54 plate it was advertised at £4,000 so don't forget to haggle. But I can confirm, no aircon.

I've had a quick look on Autotrader for you but there arn't many. There was one in Doncaster with 60,000 on the clock.

I found one on the net and just been to have a look at it (Sporting). It's silver though, not blue. But i really like it. It's the 1.4 version. Done 43,000 miles though on a 54 plate :confused: Would this be a big problem?

btw. Are all Sportings 16v?

Last edited:
Mate Ive got exactly what you want lol but Id recommend the sporting as itd be a bit quiker than mine cos htey dont exaclty move. Also insurance is very high for the Active Sport for me and was quoted for an older Sporting and it was only £140 more for the year. Also Active Sport doesnt have air con but does have a sun roof.

Mate Ive got exactly what you want lol but Id recommend the sporting as itd be a bit quiker than mine cos htey dont exaclty move. Also insurance is very high for the Active Sport for me and was quoted for an older Sporting and it was only £140 more for the year. Also Active Sport doesnt have air con but does have a sun roof.

If the sun roof has been bought as an option, sporting can come with them too!.

And yes all Sporting's are 16v on the Punto.

Sporting has slightly different suspention making it lovely to throw around, better bucket style seats and trim. Normally they are a bit faster but i dont know exactly why. Much better body kit and small spoiler. High insurance but i had a MK2 Sporting 1.2 and there like s**t off a shovell if you push them a bit. I now have a 1.6 16v Stilo and while it does feel more powerfull, around town on tight corners the punto was very similar an absolute dream to drive.
I had just as much fun driving the Punto as i do in the Stilo. Personally i prefer the MK2 to the MK2B looks wise and there is a huge difference in price.
Look at the Electrics because a lot of punto's seem to have a problem with ruining spark plugs but i wrote mine off before i could find out the cause. The garage told me it was the Performance air filter messing with the ECU but i dont buy that at all.

Sporting has slightly different suspention making it lovely to throw around, better bucket style seats and trim. Normally they are a bit faster but i dont know exactly why.

Faster due to 6 speed box?. If you got them money trust me go for the mk2b Sporting 1.4 its worth the little extra ££ for the extra 200cc's :). RichieUK As your local you can have a go in mine to make your mind up if you want? :p. Im in Newton Aycliffe :rolleyes:.

Faster due to 6 speed box?. If you got them money trust me go for the mk2b Sporting 1.4 its worth the little extra ££ for the extra 200cc's :). RichieUK As your local you can have a go in mine to make your mind up if you want? :p. Im in Newton Aycliffe :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the invite Chris, much appreciated (y) But it's ok, i'm picking up my Sporting on Monday :D:D It's the 1.4 version aswel, in silver, immaculate inside and out, couldn't say no to it. Your yellow Sporting looks lurrvly aswel Chris, just seen the photos on your profile. One question i forgot to ask the dealers when i took the car for a test drive was the function of this button, it's near the handbrake and has 3 letters on it, AGR, ASR or something?

Thanks for the invite Chris, much appreciated (y) But it's ok, i'm picking up my Sporting on Monday :D:D It's the 1.4 version aswel, in silver, immaculate inside and out, couldn't say no to it. Your yellow Sporting looks lurrvly aswel Chris, just seen the photos on your profile. One question i forgot to ask the dealers when i took the car for a test drive was the function of this button, it's near the handbrake and has 3 letters on it, AGR, ASR or something?

Yeah thats the traction control :cool:. When you want to have a bit of fun with out the cars computers telling you different press it :). Glad you got the 1.4 its by far the better car its nearly the same economy but a fair bit more power :D.

Back