General Lack of power

Currently reading:
General Lack of power

jasond

Hi all. Hope one of you may have an in-expensive solution for my problem! Bought a 01 Multi 1.9JTD in March of this year. Love the looks and the way it drives and having 4 young boys is good for space. But have noticed recently that the revs do not rise above 3000 when accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gears. My foot is down to the floor and there is no guts at all! I drive a Vaux Combi 1.7 CDTI during the day and it flies compared to the Multi. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Obviously with a full load the vehicle is not going to be as responsive as it would if there was just yourself in.

Also i imagine the multipla weighs a bit more than the combi van seen as it was based on a corsa.

Yours being on 01 reg i dont expect the engine to be run in maybe as much as the combi, which i would have a guess and say its done more miles. Maybe once the multipla engine has been worn in, maybe you will see better response.

Also has the vehicle had a service or is due one?? A service may help if required

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Whats the milage on the multipla? It could be that the multipla has dodgy 3rd/4th gear ratios, i.e. geared more for economy than accelleration, are you noticing any other simptoms, what does it feel like in other gears? It could be exhaust related, manifold damage, or exhaust particulate filter (diesel cat) blocked. Although all of these would be noticable right though the gear range.

Check the EGR valve is operating correctly althought this usually affects performance in every gear. Tell tale sign of a sticking EGR valve is big clouds of black smoke out of the back and really hesitant performance.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.(y) It's done 57k and is due a service early Jan 06. Someone mentioned the sensor before. Now noticed that in all gears it revs freely to 3000 then creeps up painfully slowly. Will carry on as is, then get it looked at after Chrimbo!:cool:

jasond said:
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.(y) It's done 57k and is due a service early Jan 06. Someone mentioned the sensor before. Now noticed that in all gears it revs freely to 3000 then creeps up painfully slowly. Will carry on as is, then get it looked at after Chrimbo!:cool:

MAF - we change 3-4 MAF's on Multi's per month. If it doesnt rev cleanly above 3k and you are suffering power problems throughout then 99% its the MAF. Usually your fuel economy drops too when the MAF is gone, and you are also not doing your CAT any favours.

When you take it for a diagnsotic though, it may not show up as an faulty item, as they do not actually fail - they just start to misread.

If you buy one from us and it doesnt cure it, send it back, we will refund you!
[email protected] or call us on 087 091 091 16 for prices etc.

Back