General Stilo front discs - advice needed ASAP

Currently reading:
General Stilo front discs - advice needed ASAP

Right, as you may know my car is in the dealership for a new front driveshaft. I am also getting the front discs and pads replaced, so decided to go away from oem and get some performance parts.

The driveshaft is being done NOW, but car back in on Thursday for brakes - this is my problem...

...the garage have said go for EBC Greenstuff pads, and EBC drilled and grooved discs - one of the Stilo guys there has them, and rates them!

BUT I am also hearing to avoid EBC discs, and go for Black Diamond instead - choices choices - I need to decide asap because any parts need to be ordered on Monday, for fitting on Thursday.

Any advice? I don't mind paying a bit more for quality, but not prepared to pay silly money, iykwim.

All I can say is that I've heard good things about both products mate, I think you'd be fine with the cheaper option because you don't drive like a nutter do you.... erm hang on :chin:

What a minefield, lol...

Looking on www.motorsportworld.co.uk now - £161.67 for a pair of Black Diamond combis.

When I spoke to Ben about it, he shouted at me not to get EBCs but go for Black Diamond. At least I have weekend to think about it, and get the order first thing Monday morning.....

Back from dealership, in my car :woot:

Ok, chatted to a few guys down there. I am now totally swayed from drilled disks - been a lot of people saying avoid them on this forum, mainly due to cracking, plus a customer down there had some drilled Black Diamond that cracked on him; he recommended I got EBCs.

I saw some EBC grooved ones, with the semi-drilled dimples in it - these were on a tech's car down there. He also sees a lot of cracks with the drilled disks, especially on the Alfas, plus they cake up with brake dust :s

He is coming back to me with a price on Monday, but should beat Motorsportworld (y)

Nothing is set in stone yet, but I need them replacing urgently, so Thursday it is, with a courtesy car.

End of the day, whatever someone recommends is slated by someone else, and vice versa :spin:

Ive never had either personally.. but my m8 had black daimond disc on his polo and they were ace, shall we say they were rather responsive when he braked (y) and since then he moved onto a clio 172 and has been through three set of standard brakes disc and pads in 10months... shocking ay! But i he does drive like it like hes stolen it, shall we say he keeps it in the red line!.. so hes got an a3 quattro now and has had the black diamond disc put on that and no problems that ive heard of... so they must take quite a pounding! :) i kno it doesn't really help much, but just fort id say my bit :D

goo evening all well stuart at the end of the day the choice IS yours you are probably aware that Ive just changed mine its a simple job and improvised and managed to wind back the rear pistons without any hassle if you do go for EBC which are a very relieablebrand name log on to www.tuning.co.uk I couldnt find anyone cheaper they also do OMP Italian brand name but these are drilled not dimpled EBC also do anodised at aroung £35 extra there phone No is01543 252010 good luck

I would avoid drilled discs too. If you get rooved ones don't have too many grooves because they are filing down your pads in no time. Red Dot discs and pads is what I use and most of my clients. I have not had any of them going back to others. BTW Red Dot's mother company who produces the pads in Italy is producing some of the EBC stuff.

If you want to hae a very quiet disc go for the single spiral groove from Red Dot.

Cheers for that (y)

I have a good EBC source where I live, so should be able to beat any 'net price hopefully. At the end of the day, anything is going to be better than FIAT oem ;)

Cheers Peter - the more I research into this, the more I am swayed away from fully drilled discs. The EBC 'dimples' seem a good compromise, and come rated by a few people now.

As for noise, no doubt this will be something that catches me unawares the first time I drive the car.

Stuart try frenitalia for Tarox G88 discs and pads, I have had them and they are the dogs, no noise due to the 40 odd grooves cut into each face of the disc, and no overheating of the disc pads either. They are the only disc and pad combi I would recommend.

dont worry about noise stu you will get some from the start but will get quieter as they bed in and remember NO HARD BRAKING bed them in gently and then give them some:slayer: happy motoring mate and to all you members(y) my personal choice was grooved/dimpled I think the multi grooved possibly could be noisier.:idea:

TBH Stu your best bet is standard replacement disks & Ferodo DP series pads, I only said get the Black diamond because I know several people that have used them in the past & have rated them highly. Please don't get EBC disks for your own sake, they have (apparently) a tendancy to warp very early on & (also apparently) eat pads. Would also agree with NumanR that if you don't mind paying a bit extra then the Tarox disks are the nuts!(y) But again they eat pads as they are more motorsport orientated.;)

Back