General Good news!

Currently reading:
General Good news!

Whey hey - I'M TESTED! :spin: :woot: ...and that little baby goes like sh*t off a shovel! Gearbox is a lot quieter with oil in it an' all... got a bit panicky when the tester said the computer had said it had failed on the brake percentage :eek: ...but when he re-entered the info it came up okay 2nd time - phew! I'll try and get some piccies up soon. Cheers all - thanks for the helpful input... (y) :hug:
...all I need now is a roof rack of sorts... :confused:
can side rails from later Pandas be fitted to older models? cos if I can get some rails I've got some rail fitting roof bars in the garage... :chin:

'BTW how did you manage to put the D/S bearing on the wrong way round and what effect did it have? as it may help when doing it next'

Alan, the kit came with the seal/bears ass. in position inside the boot, but my mate (a full time mechanic - vice free and circlip pliers!) said he normally doesn't bother to swap the seal/bearing ass.) and separated the 2 - he was busy - I got distracted...
..took for ever to tap it on wrong way round as I hadn't got the recommended length of tube either!
Later when I put the d/s back on and realised the bearing was visible the effect was:
:confused: :eek: :mad: :eek: :bang:
Ground down some old long nose pliers to get circlip off and found some 1" copper tube which I cut lengthways into 2 halves to make collets to fit inside the recess on the bearing so I was able to tap it off again (with mole grips loose around d/s acting against copper collets)... otherwise I would have had to go and get another boot kit...
second time I didn't set it up to the collar (the end of machined section on d/s) either just to the rec. 143mm - which (presumably) stresses the boot less... anyway job was a good un in the end (y)
I once got distracted by a neighbour when fitting a balljoint into a Uno lower susp' arm - put it in upside down! - by the time I'd pressed it out and in again it was too loose - had to go and buy the complete arm then... doh...
It poured with rain again as I refitted the driveshaft (soaked again!) but otherwise it would have been a straightfwd job. Next time though i'll def. give a bit more thought to the rec. tube fitting tool as outlined in the Haynes manual as the bearing needs to pressed on very close to the d/s with no force applied to the outer parts of the ass. Kit was non Fiat and about £17 btw
the only other prob encountered was with one of the gaiter clips - with restraightening it fractured - but I was able shorten and reuse it
cheers

Back