Technical 6 speed box

Currently reading:
Technical 6 speed box

microcar

nippy little runt
Hi all just want to ask you brain boxes out there, the punto 55 6 speed box, is it worth having? i have a 1242, in the shed and i was thinking of purchasing the gearbox off my mate, is it worth doing? is the 6th gear a higher gearing? if so will it be better and save more fuel on the motorway? (iknow they dont drink much but hey, every little bit helps!) (y)

cheers!

6th gear is slightly longer, but not massively. Don't expect it to give you a load more top speed.

I'd probably stick with 5, although it's a bit of a novelty having 6.

Hi,
Didn't realise they fitted the 6spd box on the 55 punto, more gears the better on a a small engine, may not be any different top gear ratio but will accelerate through the gears better..... :)

Thanks
Paul T

I'd stick with five, noticed on another post Microcar that you have a Skyline so maybe my arguement will win you over? Anytime spent changing gear means foot off the gas clutch down etc, adding more changes would me longer acceleration times hence many or most super cars do 60 and a lot over in 1st gear giving them quick times.

5 gears for me and 6 if I was turboing.

Liam

bloomfieldliam said:
5 gears for me and 6 if I was turboing.

Liam

I'd actually go the other way. The turbo should give a greater spread of torque across a wider rev range, where a NA high performance engine will have its power in a very limited band and will need more gears to keep it on the boil.

Cheers

D

Most 6 speed boxes don't have a significantly different ratio in top compared to 5 speed ones. Its the spacing of the gears that are different. The Cinq box has a hell of a gap between 4th and 5th. Its a pain on events where 4th is getting a bit breathless and 5th won't pull. A six speed would help.

Cheers

D

thanks guys for your views.. im still non the wiser..haha

yes my other beast the r33 is just totally different and i have a nismo short shift 6 in that but its difficult to compare that car to the cing because its not in the same league.

i like the cinq, its a fun car in town. maybe i will have to try the box and see... :cool:

microcar said:
thanks guys for your views.. im still non the wiser..haha

yes my other beast the r33 is just totally different and i have a nismo short shift 6 in that but its difficult to compare that car to the cing because its not in the same league.

i like the cinq, its a fun car in town. maybe i will have to try the box and see... :cool:

I know what you mean, some of the Portuguese Uno turbo guys may desagree. The first time i took my Z to the track they kept arguing that since my car was rated here at 280hp and some of theirs were pulling 180hp they would be faster because they're lighter, erm i think i never mention mine was NEVER stock:p so they ate dust. I reckon some highly modified cinqs may be able to challenge a stock skyline especially in the tight bends ;) .

BTW: I converted it myself it was originally a Canadian 1991 300ZX NA 2+2 (there are no real 2+2 TT in north america:mad: ).

microcar said:
Hi all just want to ask you brain boxes out there, the punto 55 6 speed box, is it worth having? i have a 1242, in the shed and i was thinking of purchasing the gearbox off my mate, is it worth doing? is the 6th gear a higher gearing? if so will it be better and save more fuel on the motorway? (iknow they dont drink much but hey, every little bit helps!) (y)

cheers!

Hi,
punto mx1 55 6 speed gearbox have lower gearing! it won't be better to save mor fuel, it will be worse for it. Cinq 1108ccm with 6speed gearbox consumes ca.0.5-1l/100km more on motorway then standard cinqu sporting gearbox, but it has better acceleration.

BTW
I am thiking about put standard cinqu sporting gearbox instead 6speed to lower fuel consumption...

Using this:
http://www.race-technology.com/WebPage2/Other/Utilities/GearCalculations/GearCalculation.html

and the data from here:
http://www.clubfiatpunto.com/foro/fiat_punto_mk1.php

if it's all correct then you will have a top speed of 93mph at 6000 revs in 6th, using standard Cinqy Sporting alloys. That may be good for rallying or sprints, or if you can pull 9000 revs more than once

If you use a Cinqy Sporting speedo drive with the 6 speed box, the speedo will read rather high too, making you think you're going much quicker (can work it out if someone is all that interested, but I'm tired and haven't slept since yesterday lunch time)

Something nobody's mentioned (unless I've missed it) is the fact that the gearbox is longer than the standard one, and will catch your passenger's side tyre on full lock. You will also need to remove or alter part of the wheel arch liner to get it in.

Ah thanks for the info.. i really did think the box was a striaght swap with no alterations. umm.... :confused:

Nope. You need to swap the selector mechanism over from the top of the Cinqy gearbox, too.

Something that -may- be a factor is the driveshaft design, too. Later Seicentos have different arrangements, which won't fit a Cinq. I'm not sure if some of the Puntos adopted this as well, perhaps someone can enlighten?

The style that's no good is the one where the inner CV boots don't turn with the driveshafts, but are anchored to the diff.

Back