Technical My 1.6 NIGHTMARE!¬

Currently reading:
Technical My 1.6 NIGHTMARE!¬

paulmacs

147,Boxster S,GP Multijet
I got my 1.6 back yesterday from the dealer here in Belfast after having it in to correct the 'airbag failiure'. They replaced the sensor under the seat. This morning it happened again. One beep, then nothing rest of day.

Tonight driving along the motorway the car started jumping and struggling as if it was running on 3 cylinders. 'Engine fault' was reported. I pulled over and turned off then on, it was shaking violently.

Rung AA who were out in 15mins (nice) and the mechanic reported that injector number 4 has died on the car as reported by the ECU in his wee notebook thingy he attached to the engine.

The car has been towed to Fiat where I will join it in the morning with the AA diagnosis letter and me very angry as to why my car is falling apart one day after they 'repaired' it.

The AA nicely arranged and dropped me off to my waiting courtesy car which Fiat are paying for for 48hrs.

What is it - a new Golf! ;)

What a couple of days!

I took my car in for a routine service a couple of years back and then couldn't get the thing started, there I am sitting in the dealers carpark and can't leave after handing over a couple of hundred quid to have my car made good. Doh!

They came out, took the car round to the workshop and told me the battery had gone dead and too their credit handed me the keys for an Alfa 147 and said come back tomorrow. Came back and its been fine since.

Its just one of those things, it probably would have happened on the golf if you'd have had that.

Arghhhhhhhhhh.................................

the coil packs on modern FIATs are notoriously unreliable, here's a tip however, when you replace one, make sure it's an original, I replaced mine on the Brava with Lucas parts, it blew four of them in three months. I then put an original on and it never broke again. The Lucas ones cost £38, the FIAT one made by Magneti Marelli I believe cost £90 from the dealer. Remember this information in future!

Re: Arghhhhhhhhhh.................................

I asked if someone would collate this weeks ago! :p

And on which models.

By my rought estimate there has been more 1.6 owners commenting. Followed by Abarth owners, then the 1.2 owners. Just curious if its an engine design thing or if it is actually the coil packs? Are they the same between models etc?

i had my first one go on my abarth at 65,000 miles, I ordered a new coil from priory and a lucas one came in a fiat/alfa box. The original was a bosch. If they are likely to keep going I may buy a couple and keep them in the car, a doddle to change.

I believe the bosch PN is Type PS 0 221 504 460 14v

Re: Arghhhhhhhhhh.................................

StiloBoy said:
I asked if someone would collate this weeks ago! :p
Yep, you did indeed, and that was acknowledged by myself in another thread only yesterday......

Just had way too much on recently - but if you are offering? May be worth a rep point ;)

Right Fiat are just off the phone:

Firstly with regards to the continuing airbag problem - they are replacing the seat base unit under the passenger side. They say this will work.

With regards to the injector: MENTAL!

Not one, but injector 1, 2 and 3 are all dead. They are replacing all 4 as they fear 2 weeks down the line having to strip the engine for the remaining one which could still hit the fan!!!

They have no parts unfortunately and due to easter will not have them until next wednesday and its unlikely I can collect my Stilo until next Thursday. They have supplied me with a Pug 206 until my car is fixed. A 1.4LX! hurrah! :(

The Golf from the AA, which is horrible, is going back tonight.

Well did some checking of coil pack failures on here!

After whittling down all the posts by Stu mentioning his failed Coil pack, which was MOST of the posts mentioning coil pack failures.

Here are my findings.

1.2 - 1 unique reported failure.
1.6 - 3 unique reported failures.
1.8 - 0 reported failures.
2.5 - 1 unique reported failure.

These are all the unique users reporting coil pack failures on Stilo's only.

How do you find out how many rep points you have?

Stiloboy.........coils packs are uique to the 1.6 model,the others are on most models interchangable & with other models but 1.6 engine stilo is unique.

Paulmacs,I really hope it gets sorted right & quickly,to many injectors are getting fitted with fault reappearing when its the coil thats at fault even though codes are for injectors.
Seems strange all the injectors are showing as faulty thought :confused: there is a multiplug that can give trouble that feeds the injectors,just a thought?

Nice one Stiloboy - I will have to do some checking & marking later ;)

For rep points, click on User CP - it should give you your score, remembering that you started with 4 points.

I checked only on the words "coil pack" So if i get time i check on posts for just coil, and injectors and add the results of that to my current results. That might be more realistic.

I checked all posts with coil pack, and only marked it if the person commenting on their problems actually posted the result from getting the car fixed, and if this was the coil pack problem. Such as CMC, a regular poster who mentioned his car felt like it was running on 3 cylinders, then his wife drove it and it was fine. So i discounted him etc 'cos he never said the garage changed the coil pack.

paulmacs said:
Right Fiat are just off the phone: .......

...With regards to the injector: MENTAL!

Not one, but injector 1, 2 and 3 are all dead. They are replacing all 4 as they fear 2 weeks down the line having to strip the engine for the remaining one which could still hit the fan!!!

I think it's highly unlikely that three injectors would fail simultaneously - as has been mentioned it's quite probably something else wrong, and the ecu is recording the symptom not the cause.

My old man had a problem on his rover 45 a few months back, youd be driving along at say 30, then the car would lose power and you had to change down. You could be in 2nd with the pedal on the deck and do 10 mile an hour.

Man with computer thing told my old man that it was voltage leakage somewhere tricking the ECU into thinking the injectors where buggered- and was most likely a broken coil but he couldnt find it without the fault happening (it was totally random).

Rover had the car for 2 days and it was a dodgy oxygen sensor on the exhaust. When it shorted the ECU reported 2 injectors faulty. Et voila.

Three words though- Rover aint Cheap

Back