1.6 8 valve or 1.2 16 valve??????

Currently reading:
1.6 8 valve or 1.2 16 valve??????

MyunoLHD....why not wait and ask the same questions in 3 years time? The answers may be different.

The Negotiator said:
MyunoLHD....why not wait and ask the same questions in 3 years time? The answers may be different.

can't you now get a 1.6 16V punto (um... I probably should know, living oposite a fiat dealer 'n' all)

He's 14 from what I've read, but his mate is looking for a car :rolleyes: Id go with the 1.2 16v, but thats only because I cant afford insurance :( I'm assuming the 1.6 is a higher group? Out of interest, what would a 1.6 sporting be like up against a VTR? I'm thinking the VTR would win but by how much? My mates 1.1 saxo does me every time :( but my other mates 55s absolutely flies.. maybe I should get mine serviced :p

space said:
My mates 1.1 saxo does me every time :( but my other mates 55s absolutely flies.. maybe I should get mine serviced :p

The hole in your exhaust cant be helping!!

Erm....Id say the 1242cc 16v is probs a better engine. Less mass to accelerate. The 1.6 8v is a heavy lump, and only having 8 valves cant really help matters

Ok. ive got the 1.2 16v in my Brava. On the Plus side, the 1.2 16v Brava performs pretty much in every way that the 1.6 8v did in the Fiat Tempra. Similer BHP (82 v 86) and very similer acceleration and top speeds.
Main advantage with the 1.2 is that it can still be economical while the 1.6 averages at around 35mpg

Engines/Trims CC/Cyl BHP MPH 0-60 MPG IG
sporting 1.2 16v 1242 / 4 86 110 10.2 40 7
sporting 1.6 8v 1581 / 4 90 111 10.5 35 7

Thats the differences there taken from parkers

Insurance wise, I dont think they differ as its classed as a sporting rather then engine size, but you get the idea over performance and econ from that

Last edited:
As Scorg has posted there isn't much difference between the two engine and th einsurance would probably like to hear 1.2 for a young driver and not 1.6.

Liam

Back