The 1.6 multi jet... Tough enough?

Currently reading:
The 1.6 multi jet... Tough enough?

Considering [email protected]

Not had any dealings with the 1.6

Not common in Fiat. But Alfa do use it a lot I believe

Cambelt waterpump likely.. Any other comments?
I have the 2010 Doblo Maxi van@100k with the 1.6, I bought it cheap with oil in coolant water, it turned out to be the oil cooler part of the oil filter assembly, not uncommon apparently on many makes of car these days, but in a damp dark garage on axle stands working at the back of the engine was a PITA to put it mildly and coupled with poor quality pattern parts that twice leaked oil from the filter drain valve not being shut even with filter housing tight added to the fun.
Plus the oil in the cooling system caused the O rings to swell up meaning once disturbed would not refit, two new genuine Fiat O rings from dealer at £37 in a Fiat bag marked PRC (China) failed to impress.
I also had black smoke issue which after much diagnosis turned out to be a EGR seal at inlet manifold.
Oh! Before that I had to fit a turbo cartridge as bearings shot filling intercooler with oil.
So all in all I have had oil in the water, oil in the intercooler and black smoke from not enough oxygen for the diesel.:)
Although this van is rated a 1 tonne payload I find even empty it lacks the grunt of the 1.9 Doblos I had before even though similarly rated at 105hp and less low end power than my C3 Picasso 1.6 diesel with 223k miles rated at 90hp.
Once driving along normally it is quiet and nice to drive and maybe I have been spoilt with the power of my Iveco Daily 2.8 Sofim engines, so maybe when I have sorted the 1st gear selection issue .........;)
In fairness I bought cheap expecting to have to work on it.

My 1.6mjt Punto had 176k miles on it when I got rid.

The engine was a bit noisy and did have a bit of smoke at that mileage as you may expect but it was still pretty strong.

Not impressed with servicing as the oil filter was right at the back right on top of the subframe so any filter changes left the subframe covered in oil. As said the engine was worn in mine and there was a bit of blow by, I fitted a catch can which filled up quite quickly over the space of about 6 months.
As this engine was derived from the old 1.9, and it's been made smaller, in capacity with a smaller bore and stroke. and the 1.9 had been used in most fiats, Vauxhalls and Saabs and came in up to 2.2L variants. I think its a pretty solid engine. With plenty of development and robustness built up over the years.

At 75K i would have more concern for if the cambelt had been done. Water pump and then you're getting into the territory of needing a new flywheel DMF is almost a certainty.

Mine was the 120bhp "sporting" it claimed similar performance figures to my 2.0L golf but in a lighter car. Honestly though it didn't have the torque of the golf and I think the performance claims were optimistic, that or the engine was getting tired by that point with the high mileage.

Looking at @bugsymike's post above its more what bolts onto the engine than the engine itself that the problem.

In fairness mine did arrive on a transporter and was priced accordingly;)
The oil filter assembly comes with this little spigot/valve that I mentioned and I think the idea was you fitted a hose to it so the oil released on turning the filter plastic top was collected, though I have never done that either.
The oil cooler was part of that filter assembly but even higher up behind engine. Changing it once would have been enough but the third time got a little tiring.:)

Thanks for the replies 😎

It's actually in a 500l. Mpv

Cheap enough.. May be an ULEZ clearance..

Again... plenty to need replacing

Probably too much for me nowadays.
We have probably all noticed that regardless of purchase price , some cars once you have checked them over just go on and on with no issues, whilst others you wish you had never bought!:(

Bravo 1.6 did over 100K and felt just nicely run in. Averaged 64mpg too. Great engine amazing for towing far better than expected from 105HP. Only issue was EGR was replaced at 50K approx. Susequent use of additive seemed to remove the problem as it never failed again.

No..

I see quite a few diesel autos advertised..
But I am not
Actively looking

Tax/VED is probably high again on those 🤔
After April 2017 the VED changed and all cars were to pay the same amount, with there being a premium on more expensive cars for the first 5 years or so,

I suspect every fiat probably pays the same £130 a year or what ever the basic rate is. They didn’t make cars that were expensive enough to get the added luxury car premium

you are tight. It was 165 last year but 17% later its now 185. Tories stoking inflation raising stealth taxes again.
When we got our countryman which is a late 2017 it was ??£140 but my wife pays the tax on it so I’d not realised how much it had gone up, my golf was always £30 till this year now it’s £35 so not a major difference

When we got our countryman which is a late 2017 it was ??£140 but my wife pays the tax on it so I’d not realised how much it had gone up, my golf was always £30 till this year now it’s £35 so not a major difference
My Zero VED cars are still £0.00

Wonder how long it will be before they cost actual money
( I don't get the pay for 6 months option currently..)

17% increase to hrlp yout squeezed budget. My MP has been told what Ithink above above inflation rises. I siggested 17 % pay rise for NHS!

Back