General Auxiliary heaters

Currently reading:
General Auxiliary heaters

Paul L

Auxilliary heating

Has anybody had the diesel heater fitted?

There is one for the engine on the 2.2 but wondered if they use that for heating the interior or fit and extra one..

Regards

Paul

Re: Auxilliary heating

Paul, I believe the auxiliary heater is used to heat the interior but is only operative when the engine is running, i.e. it will bring the interior up to temperature quicker than diesel engine would do on it's own however unlike some cars it cannot be used to pre-heat the car without the engine running. There is a kit that can be purchased that will allow the pre-heater to be used in isolation from the engine, I think there's a thread somewhere on this forum re this.

Keggers

Paul,

I will have a look back at some old threads; this came up last year, and I remembering discussing it with Poggy. I think a company up in Humberside did a unit on a timer, and you could program it to come on a hour before getting in the car, say, on a winters morning, to ensure nice and warm and defrosted.

I did get a quote for it at the time, but tbh never found it a problem, plus it is my wife who uses it first thing with the kids ;)

Thanks for the replies,

It appears the heater can be used when fitted with a wiring kit. I have a part number from Fiat to try for price.

Paul

Paul,

What is the part number? Not sure if you realise, but we all have access to the FIAT EPER catalogue on here. Go to Lets Talk Fiat section for the link, or I may do a hotlink to here in a bit.

Hi,

Try going direct to Webasto in the UK, they sell the kits direct and also offer technical advice. When I did it on our Land Rover Freelander it was very easy and the guy from Webasto provided a lot of info.

The only difficult thing with the Ulysse I think is that the water flow pump is not fitted as standard so you need to add it to the webasto unit which may mean draining the cooling system. This pump is used to circulate the water without the engine running.

I used the one in my Freelander a lot, especially in the morning to defrost the car. It was also handy to use when parked somewhere.

The contact at Webasto is Paul Gofton and the number is 01302 322232 or [email protected]. He is the sales engineer for the Passenger Car division.

Andy

Ok, found it. I got a quote back in Nov '03 from a company called Welptons, up in Humberside I think. Their email as follows:

"As your vehicle is the 2003 model year the climate contonl is not an issue and the fully fitted price for this kits is

New model (2003 approx)

Kit £230.00 inc VAT
labour £176.25 inc VAT

Total fitted price £406.25 inc VAT

You are correct about the contents of the kit exhaust,pump,timer,relay pack and wiring.(your vehicle already has a pre heater fitted which is what we adapt with the upgrade kit)

I would need the vehicle for the day,maybe one friday if u were visiting family for the weekend.

I have contacted Webasto to confirm they have a kit in stock.

If you would like to go ahead with this upgrade maybe contact me by phone and we can sort out the arrangements.

Clive Stancer
Service Manager

Welptons Rover & M.G."

Hope this is useful - I have a contact number and email address if needed.

Hi,

The kit price is about right, but the labout seems high to me. I think Webasto quote suggested labour time if you ask them. For the Land Rover I think it was about 2 hours, which included removing the front bumper as the Webasto unit was tucked in behind the bumper on my Freelander.

I actually fitted mine in the Land Rover workshop as they had never done it before and struggled with the wiring, so I ended up being there after the garage closed with the service manager working it out for them. Fortunately I run a electronic design and manufacturing company so I am used to circuit diagrams etc.

Andy

Thanks for all of the relies....not looked at the forum for a day or two and loadsa messages.

I e-mailed a local Webasto dealer and no reply........customer service second to.....everything!

The Fiat part number is 46222515.

Going to ring my dealer.

Paul

Re: brake fans (?)

Robert M said:
So, pardon my ignorance again, but to settle my mind further, can anyone fill me in a bit more about the auxilliary heating? I had it in my mind that this would be an electrical heater, but I do recall that it was only available on the diesel models - so . . . . does this auxilliary heating system burn diesel?? Cool - although it sounds a bit dangerous to have a little fire lit under the car . . .
Hi Robert,

Slightly OT, but have a look at this link, part of the Webasto website:

http://www.webasto.co.uk/am/en/am_automobile_3177.html

You may be able to glean more info from that, possibly. I think the heater does burn diesel.

EDIT - this posting now moved from 'Brake Fans' thread :)

Hi,

The one thing you have to be careful of is the intial start up current. We also have a Eberspacher (similar to Webasto) hot air heater on our boat and it takes a lot of current to get the glow pin warm enough to start the diesel burn.

It doesn't use much diesel though.

Andy

Back