General Carburetor Problems

Currently reading:
General Carburetor Problems

Nacho

Hi all,
I am writing about problems I am having with my car. When driving it hard or lately at any inconvenient time it will start to “bog” or load up. What I mean is if I push the gas the car will die. Once this happens I can only push the gas a tiny before it will die out. To fix the problem, I have been taking off the air cleaner lid ( this is a 750 non-fire) looking at the top of the carburetor you see a little jet toward the front. I take carburetor/choke cleaner and squirt it into this little hole. I can see it spraying out into the barrel of the carburetor when I spray. Then I start the car and it runs fine. What is making it run like crap until I spray something down this jet/screw?
Nacho

check the color of the spark plugs if they are black the car could be running rich and it needs setting up if not maybe its the vacum advancer thing there was a thread about it a while back its a little hose running off the carb to the distrubiter to advance the spark

there are a few things you can do with small effort and money, but can be very helpfull with this sort of problems (that occure and dissapear...)

1. take off all plug leads from plugs and then other side (including main plug lead from the ignition coil) and spray them with WD-40 or something similar and return them firmly

2. try taking out air filter and shake it a few times to loose dust and crap that is collected in it

3. if you have an electronic ignition, check ignition module (litle metal box, size of box of matches with ribbs on it) if it is hot. this thing sometimes needs better cooling. you can install small PC fan (for CPU is best fitting) to give more cold air. I had that problem and solved it that way

if I think of something else, I will let you know

It's possible, from your description of the problem, and the other comments above, that you have dirt in your carb which is blocking the jet when there is significant fuel demand.

It's probably worth fitting a clean fuel filter, and then cleaning out the float chamber on the carb.

It's a fairly cheap option, even if it's not the answer.

Cheapest option of all is to check if you have a leak in your vacuum advance cartridge:
retarded ignition, and an inlet leak.
Doesn't help at all..

John H,
I want to check for a vacuum leak, but am not sure where the vacuum advance cartridge is located on the car. Also, when I check what am I looking for. I will try cleaning out the carburetor and see if that stops the problem.

Firstly, let me say I am not familiar with a non-fire 750 -
they weren't imported into the UK.

If your 750 has a conventional distributor with five high tension leads into the cap, and you have a vacuum advance cartridge, it will be on the side of the body of the distributor.
The biggest clue will be a small bore pipe from this cartridge back to the inlet manifold, where it will be a push fit onto a "port" there.

Unplug this tube at the port, and blow down the pipe.

If you can blow, either the pipework has perished, or the cartridge has popped.

I know the inlet sucks, so to speak, but you're better off without petrol vapours in your mouth - it's carcinogenic.

probably something like "4" in this picture:

distributor-bits.jpg

Last edited:
Do they sell this piece seperately if I can blow air through it? I am going to check it out to see if this is the problem.

Yes.

It's held on with two screws on the outside, but there is a fiddley connecting rod out of the back which is a push fit on part of the internals of the distributor.

That's the bit which does the timing advance.

The couple I've changed have been done with the distributor removed for ease of access, but you loose the timing when you that -
unless you make a mark across the base of the distributor and where it touches the engine.

If you do that you can line the marks up wheb you put it back together.

Hey all,

I was having some problems which I thought could be a vacuum problem. I tried to see if I could blow through the vacuum cartridge and there was absolutely no pressure. I could blow through it very easily. So it is bad and needs to be replaced, right? Are these cartridges expensive? Thanks.

Serge

Well, I checked the vacuum problem and it was not it. I then decided to pull off the carburetor and tear it apart. I cleaned the various parts and put it all back together. I put the carburetor back on the car and it ran perfectly. I had previously rebuilt this carburetor once before. I believe my air cleaner assembly is leaking in dirt and junk, because there are little pieces of grass and dirt inside the air cleaner that the air filter should have stopped. Everything is good other wise so thanks for the help.

John H said:
I don't know the cost in Italy...

In the Uk they are teens of UKP, for the Magnetti Marelli distributor.
I paid the genuine Marelli part 7,50€... but I took a look at the Fiat EPER site and the price is around 10UKP...maybe it's worth walking around to find an honest price

Hi Enzo.

A couple of points

does you UK price include VAT at 15% ?

you'd walk a long way in my part of the UK (supposed to be the Uks second City) to find FIAT dealers:

11.74 radial miles to Warwick - Grays are good, and have old stock too.

Another dealer is 12.18 radial miles away, and isn't interested in the older stuff at all.

The best ones (independents) don't feature on FIATs dealer locator at all..

I don't remember if the price was charged by the tax, and I can't check it again as the site doesn't work now :bang: !The situation for spare parts here is absolutely different for prices and availability...even with Ford and Renault.
One point:how much is the rubber seal outside the distibutor?I replaced it 2 days ago because I noticed a small oil leak that dirtied the thermostat...1€ and half an hour of work and two greasy hands (n)

It's really cheap, less than £1. But there is a minimum order quantity from FIAT of 15 and your local dealer may not allow the purchase of one. I found out later that my local dealer would sell me one spearately.

But if that is too much, any good quality washer will do. I used used one from a pack of assorted washers I picked up from a hardware store.

Last edited:
Back