Technical Reversing lights not working

Currently reading:
Technical Reversing lights not working

Tivvyfan

Stilo 1.9JTD 02 plate - can someone please tell me where I can find the reversing light switch - exact location please as I am unsure what it looks like - any photos would be a great help - many thanks

An easy double check to make sure it's the switch (and not a fuse or bad electrical contact or even duff bulbs) is to check if your rear wiper works automatically when you select reverse with front wipers on. If that doesn't work either then odds are its the switch
reversing light switch.jpg
Switch looks like this and is usually on top the gearbox

Last edited:
An easy double check to make sure it's the switch (and not a fuse or bad electrical contact) is to check if your rear wiper works automatically when you select reverse with front wipers on.
View attachment 44328
Switch looks like this and is usually on top the gearbox
On a JTD it is on the rear of the gearbox , out towards the passenger side wheel and accessed from underneath the car with the engine under tray (if you have one) removed.

You will need a 19mm offset ring spanner 10 minute job, switch about £12 if I remember correctly.

Thanks Deckchair5 for boths posts and John55 and Cris1117- much appreciated - now that I know what and where the switch is. Got a quote for switch from Fiat dealer around £20 - many thanks all

Last edited:
Thanks Deckchair5 for boths posts and John55 and Cris1117- much appreciated - now that I know what and where the switch is. Got a quote for switch from Fiat dealer around £20 - many thanks all
Go to a good motor factors shop and they should have them for half that price. I just changed mine recently, bought it from fiat and then was asking about something else for the car in a local shop when they mentioned they had reverse light switches, but not the part I wanted.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, just done mine after reading this thread took about 15 minutes and cost me around £5 for the switch from local motor factors, happy now I've got reverse lights although I cant get mine to do that mirror thing.

Thanks for this, just done mine after reading this thread took about 15 minutes and cost me around £5 for the switch from local motor factors, happy now I've got reverse lights although I cant get mine to do that mirror thing.
That mirror thing is rubbish anyway (at least on mine) it moves a bit, but not really in a way that is very useful for reversing.

It is the only wiring plug going into the gearbox so it is not like you can get the wrong one. Look up from underneath at the gearbox and you will see it on the outside end, nearest to the passengers side front wheel.

LOL,
yeah I found it easily in the end, easier to get to by removing the n/s wheel and the side trim.
Had to order the switch from Fiat as my local motor factor didn't have it listed and woudl take a week to get it from Lucas.
Should get the Fiat one on Fri morning, £17+VAT.

I have a 1.9 JTD 52 plate - the reversing light switch is not working - I Removed the engine tray cover but could not see any switch under the engine (passenger side) - I plan now to remove the NS wheel, will this give me access to the switch? - any diagrams would be useful - thanks

cme,
the switch is on the back of the gearbox rather than under the engine. It is easier to see with the n/s wheel and wheelarch liner removed as it's over that side.

With wheel removed look towards the engine/gearbox above the brake disc, you will see an electrical connector sticking out of the gearbox from left to right, with what looks like a bolt head underneath it. This is the reversing switch.
From the picture above that Decks posted, the shiny bit is inside the gearbox so you won't see that but the other end (white plastic) is the where the electrical connector will be attached.

Disconnect, unscrew, replace with new switch, reconnect........ job done.
You'll probably see the end is worn on the old one, mine had a little flat spot, LOL

Hope this helps and hasn't taught you to suck eggs too much, :):)

Well I have fixed it - thanks - Not the easiest of places to get to - Had to

1 Jack up car - remove front near side wheel
2 remove the inner wheel arch liner - 7 screws (6 Philips)
3 Remove the second wheel/engine liner
4 remove the connector from the switch - not easy as clip was facing the wrong way and you cant see it - had to work a small flat blade into the clip to release it -
5 Remove the switch - again not easy to get too due to location - used a 19mm ring spanner
6 Replace switch - make sure the clip ends up facing out - for the next time
7 Replace parts in reverse order

Would post a picture of the switch in situ if I could work out how?

Last edited:
Back