Styling Do the Sei windows have a factory tint?

Currently reading:
Styling Do the Sei windows have a factory tint?

As title really, looking a tinting my window smyself, at least give it a shot. Of course i wan't to be legal though, so if theres any tint on thwindows from the factory i will need to take it into account when calculating percentages.

Cheers,

Kristian

Hi Kristian,
yes there is a very slight tint on the seicento windows, if you put your window down slightly and look at the difference between the two you will see a slight blue tinge, least its blueish on mine.

OZ

No because the multipla i had had an even darker blue tinge to the windows so it is a slight tint, as told to me by fiat.
no dont know the % of it sorry.

OZ

No probs :) lets see if anyone else does, or i could just go for a 20% or 25% tint, should give me loads of room for error.

Alternativly, i wonder what the local police would say if i poped my car along, with a bit fitted to the window for them to test :D before i apply it all lol

Kristian

I believe now it is virtually illegal to add any tint to your front windows and VOSA are out and about enforcing this, this is because many cars come with tints as standand and even a light smoke may take you above this limit.

Law = 25% tint on front 30% tint before B pillar.

To be honest the goalposts are forever getting tighter on this as the years go by and what is legal now may not be this time next year

Last edited:
Yeah, i have done a fair bit of reading and stuff is quite contradictory and not clear cut at all.

I'd imagine if i did do a light tint at 20-30% on all but the front I'd be OK, as its not exxessive and not too noticable. If i got stopped then I'd just take it off again, from the front windows anyway.

Thats why I wan't to know the tint of the front if they are slightly tinted so i can definatly fall below the limits :) and be OK.

If someonw has a link to an official source that states that it is stickly illegal to apply a tint of less than 30% to side windows in front of the pillar, then let me see it, and I'll drop the whole idea of the front's. :) It seems OK looking at the VOSA site, I can't see anything that mentions it there?

I'm looking for a subtle tint, not a real dark one.

Cheers for all ya help so far :)

KRistian

well i have never heard of a sei get pulled over for factory fitted window tint, so if it is tinted it is real light, less than 10% i would say.

So you would be ok.

I didnt think it was tinted at all to be honest.

Its a bit of a loophole, no one can seem to find a definate answer so you might want to risk it.

I have a light tint on the front

before

Picture002.jpg

After

Picture008.jpg

I am one for the professionals on a job like this, as the pros of professionalists outweigh the pros of DIY

Last edited:
I wondered if they had factory tint so i could add more, but the total tint has to be less than or equal to 30%. If the sei windows have a tint already, say 10%, that means i can only tint a further 20%.

Sadly i've been looking and the lowest i have found so far is 28%, which is quite a light tint. IF the sei has no tint, then it'll be fine, but anything >2% and I'll be illegal :(

I have sent an e-mail to VOSA enquiring about the legality of the front window tinting, so hopefully i will get a positive response.

sei tinted = 1 vote
sei no tinted = 1 vote

keep the thoughts coming :)

Kristian

if the law keeps changing might be a good idea to leave them standard. as far as i can tell i have not seen any limit on the side rear tints, can make it into a van as far as i can tell.
50% on rear sides and 25% on front sides should be fine. seems in manc they are clamming down on this with use of bikes.
Alternativly get a progressive tint that is darker towards the bottom of the window

Well I got an official reply form VOSA :) quoted in its entirity below is my question and the reply:

I have seen a lot of talk about the legalities of window tinting, and have
also broswed your site and viewed the window tinting pdf.

I am considering tinting my side windows, front and back, and rear window,
with a tint less than or equal too 30%. My windscreen will not be touched at
all.

Several sources say that applying a tint of ANY degree to the front sides
(anything in front of the pillar) is illegal! Others say that as long as it
falls within the limit of <30% its fine to do?!

Can you please provide me with clarification? I am law abiding and don't
wish to do something to my car that could possibly result in legal action.
I'd like the subtle tint especially at the moment, to take the edge off the
sun from the side and hopefully keep the car that bit cooler. Of course if i
do procede after clarifiaction from yuorselves, then I will inform my
insurer.

Thanks for your response,

Kristian Tippins

Thank you for your e.mail.

The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 as amended actually
specify the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen
and front side windows. The limits are:

Motor Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985:
The windscreen and front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to
be transmitted through them.

Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985:
The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
The front side windows must allow at least 70% light to be transmitted
through them.

If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, then
the vehicle does not meet legal requirements.

As a very rough guide, if the tint is more than just a light colouring of
the glass, then it is possible that it is excessively tinted. This
requirement does not apply to windows that are behind the driver.

Normally, a manufacturer would only produce vehicles that comply with legal
limits and if the vehicle does not, it is more than likely the glass has
been tinted after leaving the factory.

As a rule of thumb most manufacturers tint vehicle windows down to the
legal limit when they are manufactured, therefore, any extra tint applied
means that the vehicle will not meet the legal limit. This has the knock on
effect that any alteration made may well affect your insurance as the
vehicle will not comply with the Road Vehicle (Construction & Use)
Regulations 1986 as amended.

Ian Byrne, Enquiry Unit
(See attached file: Email Customer Survey.doc)

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions presented may be those of the originator and do not necessarily represent those of VOSA.

If you were not the intended recipient, you have received this email andany attached files in error; in which case any storage, use, dissemination,forwarding, printing, or copying of this email or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please destroy all copies and notify the sender
[and [email protected]] by return email.

VOSA's computer systems may be monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.

Nothing in this email amounts to a contractual or other legal commitment on the part of VOSA unless confirmed by a communication signed on behalf of the Secretary of State.

It should be noted that although VOSA makes every effort to ensure that all emails and attachments sent by it are checked for known viruses before transmission, it does not warrant that they are free from viruses or other defects and accepts no liability for any losses resulting from
infected email transmission.

Visit www.vosa.gov.uk for information about the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.
On leaving the GSI this email was certified virus free.
The MessageLabs Anti Virus Service is the first managed service to achieve the CSIA Claims Tested Mark (CCTM Certificate Number 2006/04/0007), the UK Government quality mark initiative for information security products and services. For more information about this please visit www.cctmark.gov.uk

Notice the part in bold, I couldn't use this letter in a court of law it seems, but the following conclusion can be made:

It is legal to tint in front of the B pillar still, as long as your light levels are within the legal limits

Hopefully this email will clear up a lot of the confusion regarding tinting.

now back to the origianl question, do my windows have a factory tint? lol Maybe an email to fiat is in order, andy idea what contact I should use???

Cheers,

Kristian Tippins

Last edited:
best bet is go in to a fiat dealer and ask them straight up. they'll probably have all the stuff there to look through. Looking at my 53 sporting i would say there is 5% tint on the side windows already.
If you are stopped by the pigs for the tints make sure they take 3 readings to get and average. so top, middle and bottom i think is that they go for.

Back