Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2013   #1
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 228
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
tessiedog has donated!
United Kingdom 
1.4 16v engine

Hi folks
Thinking of changing my 2004 Stilo Active 1.4 16v for a Grand Punto. For me one of the best things about the Stilo is the engine, which is fantastically revvy and to my mind delivers fantastic performance for the capacity (as well as really good fuel economy and a low insurance group). Anyway, point is - is the same engine used in any of the current range of Punto - have seen some advertised with the 1.4 motor, but don't seem to be the 16 valver?
Cheers
Stuart
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

tessiedog is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-02-2013   #2
No strings on me
 
Eklipze3k's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 14,846
Thanks: 659
Trader Rating: 0
Eklipze3k has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 1.4 16v engine

Short answer - no. The 1.4 16v is used in the Abarth though I think.
__________________
Eklipze3k is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-02-2013   #3
Speed Reader of the Year!
 
Most Easterly Pandas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,314
Thanks: 1231
Trader Rating: 2
Most Easterly Pandas has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 1.4 16v engine

It is used, but not in the same form, it's got a VVT setup.
__________________
Most Easterly Panda's - Panda'ing in East Anglia
Stockest of mk2 Panda Parts, PM for any parts requests
1993 Classic Panda Selecta, 1989 Panda 750L,
2015 Kia Soul EV, 2009 Panda Eleganza & 2005 Panda Climbing 4x4 (LPG)
Most Easterly Pandas is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-02-2013   #4
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kdy, Fife
Posts: 648
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: 1.4 16v engine

The grande had the 1.4 8v (77PS), 1.4 16v (named Starjet @ ~95PS) and a 1.4 16v Turbo (Named T-Jet @ ~120PS)
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

scoop987 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-02-2013   #5
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 399
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: 1.4 16v engine

The 105 multiair is the same engine with a multiair system. If you like the 1.4 16v you will love the 105 multiair.

The sporting has the same multiair engine again with a turbo.
__________________
Driving: Alfa GT 3.2 V6 in black and Abarth 595 145bhp in Red.
Ransoman is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-02-2013   #6
Speed Reader of the Year!
 
Most Easterly Pandas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,314
Thanks: 1231
Trader Rating: 2
Most Easterly Pandas has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 1.4 16v engine

Quote Originally Posted by Ransoman View Post
The 105 multiair is the same engine with a multiair system. If you like the 1.4 16v you will love the 105 multiair.

The sporting has the same multiair engine again with a turbo.
What a multi air system
__________________
Most Easterly Panda's - Panda'ing in East Anglia
Stockest of mk2 Panda Parts, PM for any parts requests
1993 Classic Panda Selecta, 1989 Panda 750L,
2015 Kia Soul EV, 2009 Panda Eleganza & 2005 Panda Climbing 4x4 (LPG)
Most Easterly Pandas is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-02-2013   #7
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kdy, Fife
Posts: 648
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: 1.4 16v engine

Quote Originally Posted by Most Easterly Pandas View Post
What a multi air system
Its the fancy valve-train system that FIAT have developed for the intake valves. Its basically means that each cylinder's valve-train is controlled completely independent from each other. It uses solenoids, oil galleries that are controlled by the cam lobes (Basically just to tell the solenoid when to operate).

All thats good but also quite scary as when the engine is rev'd to 6000rpm, each solenoid (4 of) operate at 750 times a second. It also apparently reduces emissions but upto 15% and increases power by upto 10%
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by scoop987; 21-02-2013 at 20:36.
scoop987 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-02-2013   #8
Speed Reader of the Year!
 
Most Easterly Pandas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,314
Thanks: 1231
Trader Rating: 2
Most Easterly Pandas has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 1.4 16v engine

Quote Originally Posted by scoop987 View Post
Its the fancy valve-train system that FIAT have developed for the intake valves. Its basically means that each cylinder's valve-train is controlled completely independent from each other. It uses solenoids, oil galleries that are controlled by the cam lobes (Basically just to tell the solenoid when to operate).

All thats good but also quite scary as when the engine is rev'd to 6000rpm, each solenoid (4 of) operate at 750 times a second. It also apparently reduces emissions but upto 15% and increases power by upto 10%
Ah right, thats the one with VVT (Variable Valve Timing) then. I thought that was the starjet with VVT
__________________
Most Easterly Panda's - Panda'ing in East Anglia
Stockest of mk2 Panda Parts, PM for any parts requests
1993 Classic Panda Selecta, 1989 Panda 750L,
2015 Kia Soul EV, 2009 Panda Eleganza & 2005 Panda Climbing 4x4 (LPG)
Most Easterly Pandas is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-02-2013   #9
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kdy, Fife
Posts: 648
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: 1.4 16v engine

Quote Originally Posted by Most Easterly Pandas View Post
Ah right, thats the one with VVT (Variable Valve Timing) then. I thought that was the starjet with VVT

Nope, The "Starjet" 1.4 16V has bog standard VVT where the camshaft turns based on oil pressure. The Multiair system is fiat's "next generation" VVT system. See:
MultiAir MultiAir
Thanks Most Easterly Pandas thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

scoop987 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-02-2013   #10
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 724
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Switzerland 
Re: 1.4 16v engine

Multiair is far more than VVT.

VVT only allow to change valve opening timing. Multi air allow this, but can change open duration and even allow more than one open/close operation in intake cycle !

Multi air 16 V use 4 valve per cylinder but only on camshaft for exaust. Intake is managed by seleno´d and oil pressure.

A nice video :
http://youtu.be/3y0jIGq36Og
__________________
Punto 2012 Easy - 1.4 8V 77CV - Blue
Mkala is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-02-2013   #11
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kdy, Fife
Posts: 648
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: 1.4 16v engine

Quote Originally Posted by Mkala View Post
Multiair is far more than VVT.

VVT only allow to change valve opening timing. Multi air allow this, but can change open duration and even allow more than one open/close operation in intake cycle !

Multi air 16 V use 4 valve per cylinder but only on camshaft for exaust. Intake is managed by seleno´d and oil pressure.

A nice video :
http://youtu.be/3y0jIGq36Og
But it still uses the exhaust cam on when to open by using some form of oil gallery valve so the solenoid knows when to open the valves.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

scoop987 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Stilo 1.4 16V engine in Punto mk1 1.2 16V 85bhp kimlong13 Cinquecento / Seicento 1 21-03-2012 21:57
(Tu) Stilo 1.4 16V engine in Punto mk1 1.2 16V 85bhp kimlong13 Punto (Mk1) 3 21-03-2012 21:01
(Tu) Stilo 1.4 16V engine in Punto mk1 1.2 16V 85bhp kimlong13 Punto (Mk1) 0 20-03-2012 23:23
(T) Punto engine swop - fitting mk2/3 16v into mk1 16v fostertom Punto (Mk1) 8 12-02-2011 23:05