General MK1 electric window motors in a MK2

Currently reading:
General MK1 electric window motors in a MK2

Neojames2k

Hi there,
I have a 1993 mk2 bog standard uno 45 fire and I want to retrofit some electric window motors into the front doors i have seen some mk1 turbo motors for sale, would they fit or not?

cheers in advance for any help
Neojames2k

yeah the motors will fit no probs but u will have to make the switches fit somewhere [:p] heh

Dunc

uno%20sig%20pic.JPG
Standing 1/4 mile at Santa Pod - 14.63 @ 94.57mph

only problem is mine is a 5 door, I read in another post that they are different sizes or at least parts of them are, fitting the switches isn't a problem, i'm gonna either cut holes in the arm rests or put a plastic plate in the ashtray

They should fit no problem. On my old mk 1 Uno 45 3 door, I managed to fit the front electric windows from a 70 S five door. This was a very old 70 S ('A' registered) and it had the window switches in a pod under the radio console. Later electric window Uno's had the switches in the front door armrests.

There were actually two types of lifting mechanisms, and the Uno I took them from had both types, one on each side!

One type has a metal strip bolted to the lifter arm, and the window is simply a push fit into the metal strip. The other type had a plastic plug with two 'ears' sticking out of the lifter arm. There is a hole at the bottom of the door glass, and you simply push the hole over the plastic plug until the 'ears' pop through and hold it in place.

All Uno's have provisions to house the electric motor mechanism, which simply bolts into place of the original manual winders.

Make sure you get all the wiring (it's a seperate loom to the main loom), switches and also the control box, a kind of small ECU. This control box also controls the central locking system. It's located on a ledge under the drivers side of the dashboard, just above the inner wheel arch if I remember rightly. On a mk1 Uno it was at least!

It's a fairly simple swap, though you need to have a wire going directly from the alternator to the control unit so that the windows only work when the ignition is switched on. Check the Haynes manual wiring diagrams for clarity.

So if I could fit the 5 door electric windows into a 3 door, logic dictates you can fit the 3 door electric windows into a 5 door!

I've also heard that the electric motor mechanisms from the Cinquecento and Tipo will also fit, but I have not tried that myself.

Back