Technical Cambelt tensioner, how to check?

Currently reading:
Technical Cambelt tensioner, how to check?

Jan

A simple question:

How do I know if the tensioner is ok? I just had the cambelt changed for a reasonable price £80 for my Bravo 1.4sx -97. The guys at garage told they didnt change the tensioner, as it looked ok. How can I be sure? Sorry, Im not very good with mechanics...!

Thanks again.
Jan

If its black, thats bad news as thats an old version tensioner, if its white it should be o.k but it should be changed at each cambelt.

As a rule of thumb I would replace the tensioner and guide bearings at the time of belt change. Don't forget they too have done the same mileage as the belt. The white plastic tensioners found on the 1.8, 2.0 are renouned for failing after changing belt only. The black tensioner on the 1.6 is slightly more forgiving but I would not risk it. Seen far too many fail unexpectedly. Cinq and Seicento belts will rarely make the 63k without braking!

Hi Jan,
I would recommend you change the tensioner as soon as you can. It's a stressed plastic component thats over six years old now. Check FiatExperts post for how urgently you need to do it. If the garage still say it's ok, ask them if they'll add the tensioner onto the cambelt warranty.

banner3.jpg

A mate of mine showed me a good trick. I had what i thought was a noisy cam belt on my '98 HGT, he said it could also be the tesioner and put a large screwdriver on the central spindle of the tensioner while it was running to see if it gave off any vibrations. It was quite obvious when he did this that it was the tensioner on its way out.

change the tensioner as soon as you can i got it from a fiat mechanic they must be changed with the belt specially if its the original one and that as a fiat dealer any brava/bravo they took in as a trade in replaced orignal belt and pully regardless of milage
but "fiat say there is no fault"

Back