Head gasket Problem

Currently reading:
Head gasket Problem

davideamesde

Hi all, I have recently noticed that I am losing coolant at a steady rate and have also realised that the underside of my oil filler cap is just starting to go a golden colour so I'm guessing that either I have a gasket problem or worse still a problem with the head, my question though, is, these liquid sealants that you can get, are the ok to use as a temporary fix? Or can they do more harm than good?
Thanks in advance guys ?

I agree with Jim but some do seem to work on YouTube but question is they work then but rarely do you see someone upload a video a year on to see if any issues.

But a headgasket failure is a big jump to go too. My fiancé vauxhall gets some mild goo on cap but that is because she does small trips to work and it is condensation forming. What is your driving like with the car? If you type in YouTube signs of headgasket failure or replacing a head gasket as some may show you signs you can check these out first. Is oil mixing in the coolant expansion tank? Do you get thick white smoke? Is the car overheating I. E the needle going over above the midway mark. You maybe losing coolant due to a split pipe and then add that with short trips = Looks like head gasket. You can buy on ebay those coolant compression kits for about £39.00 and it will find any leaks in the cooling system (again type in on YouTube how use a coolant pressure tester and you will see and understand what this kit is for.

I agree with Jim but some do seem to work on YouTube but question is they work then but rarely do you see someone upload a video a year on to see if any issues.

But a headgasket failure is a big jump to go too. My fiancé vauxhall gets some mild goo on cap but that is because she does small trips to work and it is condensation forming. What is your driving like with the car? If you type in YouTube signs of headgasket failure or replacing a head gasket as some may show you signs you can check these out first. Is oil mixing in the coolant expansion tank? Do you get thick white smoke? Is the car overheating I. E the needle going over above the midway mark. You maybe losing coolant due to a split pipe and then add that with short trips = Looks like head gasket. You can buy on ebay those coolant compression kits for about £39.00 and it will find any leaks in the cooling system (again type in on YouTube how use a coolant pressure tester and you will see and understand what this kit is for.

Thanks for that, I have had a look on line and a lot of the the things they talk about like bubbles in the expansion tank, over heating and poor idling speed I dont have, it's just the loss of water with no external visible signs and a small coating of coffee coloured oil on the under side of the cap.

I think you could be worrying for nothing. How is your oil level. Is it higher and does it.look like the coffee coloured texture. To be honest I would invest in coolant pressure tester and a sniff tester (get a quality one + research YouTube on how they work) you may need to spend about £80 but IF 9t is a head gasket if you can catch it What is your driving like with the car before may damage is done and the car need new engine. But I'm more to its something else.
Thanks for that, I have had a look on line and a lot of the the things they talk about like bubbles in the expansion tank, over heating and poor idling speed I dont have, it's just the loss of water with no external visible signs and a small coating of coffee coloured oil on the under side of the cap.

Absolutely not. They bung everything up. I still can't believe they get away selling this stuff.
I would generally agree to stay away from them. The only direct experience I have which I've observed with my own eyes was when I first got interested, many years ago, in Hillman Imps - which later became a ridiculously self fueling obsession, but no more of that. The first one I bought was very cheap and for a good reason, it had a blown head gasket. This was a very common problem with the Imp engine and was often not simple to fix. I temporarily poured a "leak stopper" into the radiator which slowed the leak but didn't really stop it. Eventually I took the head off but it was too late and the engine was ruined. What was really noticeable though was the brown sludgy deposit which had settled into every nook and cranny and was lying as a layer in the bottom of the water jacket. So I just know it's going to be in the radiator tanks and heater matrix etc, etc.

So - No, never again. As with most car problems, fix the cause properly don't bodge it. Often in the long run a cheaper option anyway.

Oh aye YouTube eh! :D Do not be fooled by the spiel. Even as a temporary measure( then again why the hell would you:confused:) As Jock has just elaborated on the aftermath of opening up an engine & discover the chemical disaster left behind. Just as aside, makers of this stuff never reveal the "secret" ingredient that works the magic.....:rolleyes:

Think of the pressure the head gasket has to contain each time a fuel charge is fired off. There's no way a resin mixed with water and sludge can ever contain that sort of force. This shows 750psi (50 Bar). This is over simplified because the outgoing exhaust gas inertia will take the cylinder pressure into vacuum before the inlet valve even opens.

Cylinder-Pressure-Lrg.gif

I don't know what car you have, but many Fiats have a steel coolant pipe across the from of the engine block. It corrodes and as its hidden from normal view can get really bad un-noticed. The basic design is used on the Alfa TS four bangers and all FIRE engines.

Last edited:
Hi there’s this illuminous dye kit I think it’s cheap enough and apparently it really helps find any small leak of coolent , I personally haven’t used one but it might help pin point something

Hi.

Have to agree that head gasket is prime suspect..

The oil carrying water is what generates the 'mayonnaise' at top of engine.

Pull off the 'cam cover'..and look for yourself :)
This is a doddle compared to a headgasket inspection.. ;)

Leaky front steel tube.. quite possibly a leak path.. but NOT a means of putting water into oil..!!

Tell us about the vehicle..

Use.. mileage.. your history with it :)

Charlie

EDIT.. old thread.. my apologies.

Last edited:
I find the idea of a dye - as suggested by Fialfa - very interesting I've heard of it being used in air con systems but didn't know there was one you can add to your coolant. I doubt if it would find the majority of blown head gaskets though as they, most usually, leak internally either between oil and water systems or, more usually perhaps, from a cylinder to the water ways.

If "mayonnaise" is forming on the underside of the oil filler cap it's most likely the gasket has blown allowing water to emulsify with the oil. You need to be a little careful with using this alone as your diagnosis because some engines, especially if used only on very short journeys, tend to create an emulsified deposit due to condensation which forms due to the engine never getting hot enough to drive out this condensate. But, from what you describe I think the head gasket is the likely culprit.

Please do let us know how this pans out won't you? I myself would be particularly interested to know, if it does indeed prove to be the gasket, which cylinder it blew through on? My perception is that the No.1 cylinder seems to be the first to go and that was certainly what went on our old Panda when her's failed.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You can get coolant test kits to check for hydrocarbons. Positive test = blown head gasket. Water get into the oil via the affected cylinder(s).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DX-1-COM...585687&hash=item3b2bb1525c:g:gUoAAOSwyhBcb~im

Colour changes if the coolant is contaminated with combustion products.
Aye, I've seen this sort of thing in use and it works well. Never heard of a dye you add to the coolant though? Mind you there is often an obvious powdery white/pink/blue (depending) witness mark where a leak is in evidence.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Running a bad head gasket (apart from risking even more damage to the engine) puts so much c**p down the exhaust you can also ruin the exhaust catalyst. The O2 sensor will probably be toast anyway but might survive if you get it fixed (gasket and coolant leak) as soon as problems arise.

Back