General wider tyres?

Currently reading:
General wider tyres?

Most good tyres places would just refuse to fit tyre's that don't fit the rim correctly

There's a bandwidth, tyres will fit on various rim widths, or vice versa. So that should be possible within the required specs. However, the tyre size may not be legal for the car, so there's an issue

Wider tyres (one size) will be okay.

But you need to make sure you keep the rolling radius of the tyre the same (or at least within 5%) or you might get fouling problems. And badly oversized tyres look a bit pony :D.

So if you have 175/65 you can go to 185/60 for example.

But even a bigger tyre might not prevent kerbing, especially since the aspect ratio is reducing. The only way you would get much protection is if the tyre is significantly wider than the original (so it's on the limit of being too wide for the rim).

The easiest/best if not exactly the cheapest way to do it is to buy tyres with a built in rim-protector. Otherwise just park further away from the kerb. I never heard of anyone ever getting a medal for parking precisely 20mm from the kerb. Give yourself 20cm instead.

Ralf S.

There's a bandwidth, tyres will fit on various rim widths, or vice versa. So that should be possible within the required specs. However, the tyre size may not be legal for the car, so there's an issue
If you do almost anything to your car which moves it away from the standard spec, in any way, you would be well advised to notify your insurance company. Many times you will find it makes no difference to your premium, but if you don't tell them you may well find yourself "out in the cold" when you go to make a claim!

The simple answer is to improve your driving. Modifying your car beyond manufacturers specification so that it can cope is not the solution. Not to mention the insurance implications.
Volvo 240 bumpers will be next...

Last edited:
To be fair, I can understand where Dennis is coming from. When I was a lad I could park my old beast precisely 5cm from the kerb and straighter than a very straight thing from planet Straight... but once it's dark, or wet or you're in a hurry you only have to get it wrong once or twice and your shiny wheels are scraped.

These days I give it a bit more clearance (not least because in The Land that Time Forgot, cyclists ride on the pavement and fang your mirrors and paintwork with their knees, elbows, pedals etc. I tried shooting a couple and throwing their corpses into the river but others soon come along to take their place) so parking further from the kerb makes sense.

Cars driving past seem to take more care but I guess sooner or later any car parked on the street is going to get a scrape. But, as above, very wide tyres that deform slightly on the rim is less of a good idea than tyres with rim protectors. My sister's Megane has always had them and her wheels (bearing in mind they're 20 years old) look like new still.

Ralf S.

Yes, very easy to make a small mistake and rub a kerb. The lower the tyre profile, the easier it is to scrape the wheel. And to be honest, in my experience even tyres with rim protection will only protect against the lightest "kiss".

To avoid scraping your wheels, you have to curb your enthusiasm for getting close to the kerb!

Back