Technical Diesel quality for the 1.3L Multijet

Currently reading:
Technical Diesel quality for the 1.3L Multijet

jaywalk

I've dug around a bit and today there's plenty of choices when it comes to diesel fuels in Sweden. Not all pumps carry the same oil. I can for about the same price find diesel that has:

* Cetane number from 51 to over 60
* No FAME (RME) or up to 7%
* No HVO (biodiesel) or up to 30~35%

And of course plenty of other variables, but I'm mostly aiming for two goals: Maximizing the amount of renewables and optimal cetane number for this engine.

Anyone know what the 1.3L mutijet was designed for? Of course it's a common rail so it can adapt the injection angle. In a perfect world it should always be right no matter the cetane number. But we don't live in a perfect world.:)

Growth in FAME is no problem, the tank is small and doesn't last many days with my use...

For reference I have a 2006 4x4, so the 51kW-version of the 1.3 MJ with EGR but without DPF.

I'm also considering starting to log exhaust temperature to understand the process better, but maybe that's a topic of its own!

You need diesel that meets EN590.
It's usual for that to be around 51 cetane.

EN590 can only contain for up to 7% biodiesel or fatty acid methyl ester.
It's pretty common knowledge that common rail diesels don't tolerate bio in much higher percentages and the internet is awash with owners that have tried and failed!

Stick to EN590 and you'll be ok.

Thanks for the info Goudrons! I'm only talking about what's available as "Diesel" in the pumps here, no fishy business today.:)

Some examples:
* OKQ8
* Statoil (now Circle K)

Both PDFs in Swedish but the tables should be understandable nontheless. Both are EN590 and up to 5% RME and HVO (synthetic diesel) about 25-30%. Statoil has >60 cetane, OKQ8 >57.

Since I haven't bothered looking too closely earlier I probably have used some of all combinations available to this date, never noticed any major differences in the car.

I have found that my Multijet isn't that tolerant of diesel it dislikes. I usually use Maxol diesel but once I received a 15p off per litre for Sainsbury's diesel which I felt was too good an offer to let pass. Regretted it immediately. My car ran like a pig. It felt like it was running on 3 cylinders and it was almost struggling to get up the hill to leave work. I thought there was something wrong with the car. But when the tank was done and I filled up with my normal fuel, all was fine again. Will never do that again. If they were giving it away free for a year, I'd still say No!

Interesting! I tried finding the datasheet for Sainsbury's fuels but was not successful in the 2 minutes I tried. I'd really like to find out what specifically made your panda go so bad. I think they have to provide data and safety sheets if someone asks for them, at least as long as the UK hasn't brexited (does that work ok as a verb?:). Any brit here care to try, or have someone found it already with better search skills than mine?

Just today this topic was in the news here in Sweden, Preem have started selling diesel with 43% fossil, 7% RME, 50% HVO (mostly pine oil based). EN590 compliant and all that. Might be worth a test!

I cannot 'prove' this but heard it from reliable sources (scientists testing car emissions), that supermarket filling stations are often supplied with petrol that is becoming 'stale' - the more volatile components have evaporated away to a point where it is nearly out of spec. They can buy and then sell this cheaply and quickly enough for it not to be noticeable to most drivers,.

I know you are referring to diesel.

From my own past experience, when I had a diesel Multipla, on two occasions after filling the tank with supermarket fuel, it ran very poorly, with one tank full causing the engine light to come on and the car go into 'limp' mode on long hills. Filling it again from a non-supermarket garage cured that problem without anything else changing.

My current 4x4 MultiJet makes a very different (rougher) engine sound if filled with supermarket fuel. My Volvo V50 is horrible to drive if filled with supermarket diesel.

So, based on this very unscientific experience and 'suggestion' from those who understand these things, I avoid supermarket fuels wherever I can. I believe there is a difference in spec or quality.

Last edited:
Completely agree. In fact I have now switched over permanently to Shell V-Power Diesel as it is much, much superior in comparison to even non-supermarket diesel. The key is to keep using it exclusively for best results.

I hope a get a little commission from Shell for this consumer message. :D

I see! Interesting to hear this. We don't really have your equivalent of "super market fuel" here as all the filling stations that I'm aware of are from companies that only deal with fuel, e.g. a filling station next to a supermarket will be Statoil, Shell or similar just as anything you find along a motorway.

I've done a few tanks since last time, one of which 50% HVO and no changes in the car behavour compared to 94-95% fossil, 5% RME. I'll keep on testing and as one factor will see if I can over time notice any difference in fuel consumption versus fuel source.

Back