Technical Playing music from my iPhone?

Currently reading:
Technical Playing music from my iPhone?

Bonnie

I'm a newbie(-ish... signed up a few years ago but don't post!) and don't know much technically stuff about cars, so please bear with me!

I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.1 and would like to be able to play my music on my car speakers, but can't figure out what sort of device I would need to do it. Does anyone else have this setup and has been able to successfully do it?

I don't know whether there's a piece of kit I could use to connect my phone somehow to some hidden port somewhere, or whether Bluetooth would work. Nothing I've tried so far has been successful.

I have a 2009 Fiat Panda Mamy.

:confused::confused::confused:

I'm a newbie(-ish... signed up a few years ago but don't post!) and don't know much technically stuff about cars, so please bear with me!

I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.1 and would like to be able to play my music on my car speakers.... I don't know whether there's a piece of kit I could use to connect my phone somehow to some hidden port somewhere....

I have a 2009 Fiat Panda Mamy.

Welcome(ish)! (y)

If you have the following head unit (HU)...

...then pressing the CD button twice should give you the "aux in" function. :idea:

However, you'll need to attach a cable to the back of the HU -- as described in this thread -- to connect to your iPhone (using the headphone socket...). :cool:

I've done this in our 2009 Panda Eleganza; and the homewardette uses it all the time with her iPhone 4S. It 'fools' the HU into believing there's a CD changer attached (to the aux in port); and works really well. You just have to find a neater way than I did of threading the cable through...! ;)

However, if your unit has Bluetooth, or a CD changer already attached (and I can't remember how the Mamy was spec'd, I'm afraid...) -- or you have steering-wheel controls -- then you'll need someone with better expertise than me, I'm afraid.... :(

Good luck! Let us know how you get on...! :)

Other options would be an fm transmitter, would set you back 20-50 quid. Check out Belkin branded stuff, work well and good quality.
What I would go for is a new headunit with aux in, or Bluetooth, or both! The coolest one I've found which would suit.your needs isthis one . It has a holder built in and uses your phone screen as a control using a free app. Pretty cool!

Except the fm transmitters get a lot of interference from the phones mobile signal. Definitely try the rear aux port, failing that, do what I did and buy a Sony head unit (around £100) with Bluetooth audio and connect your iPhone wirelessly with no interference :)

Thank you all! :)

Our car does have Bluetooth capability and steering wheel controls for the stereo, so perhaps it wouldn't work with the first method suggested... or would it? Might be worth a try, if we're brave enough to "mod" the car!

A friend of mine splashed out on an FM transmitter and said the quality wasn't good and it kept picking up on other cars' radio signals. Don't think his was cheap either. :(

Hmmm maybe all this is telling me I need to upgrade to the new Panda... ;) :rolleyes:

I bought a JVC stereo which is a single DIN and got a facia adapter with a little shelf, the stereo has a rear USB input which I wired an iPhone cable into. Gives the added advantage of a charger which my Active doesn't have!

Back