Technical Oil Degradation Reset Tool

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Degradation Reset Tool

TD5

Dear Forum Members,

I am about to get my 2009 1.9 Mjet serviced by a local established independent tomorrow and have read much on here about service reset and oli degradation counter issues.

I came across a Sealey product VS8623 which seems to suggest that it can do the service and counter reset and wondered if anyone had used one before and if it would work for a 2009 model as the technical information states 2001-2006. I have emailed Sealey just in case the documentation is out of date.

Any help / advice welcomed.

Many Thanks

Peter

Check out fiatecuscan !

All you need is a laptop, a cheap ELM327 adapter cable and the free version (according to support list no full version needed for reset) of the software.
It's useful for further use and gets you a lot of information about your little car ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: TD5
Check out fiatecuscan !

All you need is a laptop, a cheap ELM327 adapter cable and the free version (according to support list no full version needed for reset) of the software.
It's useful for further use and gets you a lot of information about your little car ;)

Hi Malibu,

Thank you for the link I have emailed them to ask if the current version of the software will perform the reset for a 2009 1.9 MultiJet 120 as I can't find it in the list.

If anyone else has changed the oil on this model and managed to reset the counter please advise.

Thanks in advance

Peter

An update from Sealey in case anyone is interested.

"After checking with the manufacturer they confirm this is only suitable for 01-06 and not 09 !

Unfortunately we have nothing else in the range at the moment !"

I have not yet heard back from ECUScan but have come across a Sykes-Pickavant device so I will be contacting them.

ATB Peter

An update from a really helpful guy at Sykes-Pickavant as follows:

"We are sure that we cover the 1.9 multi-jet system on the Fiat's. But we cannot find the exact match for your VIN number and a 1.9 Multi Jet engine on the Fiat tester. We have tested a 120BHP 1.9 Multi-jet engine on a Grande Punto with complete success."

Can any of you more knowledgeable technicians/enthusiasts confirm if the two engines are similar enough for this to be a possibility?

ATB

Peter

PS - Not heard back from FiatEcuScan yet but have posted a question on their forum

Thank you T, I did go back to SP and enquire as to whether their GP had a DPF and they replied with the following :-

"Hi Peter,

If your car has a service light and a oil degradation light then your car will have a DPF fitted. Your ECU will have to check the condition of the oil in the engine when a DPF filter is fitted in the exhaust, so when this light comes on in the dash a oil change is required. This is separate from the service interval.

We are confident that our tool will turn the oil degradation light out on your Doblo."

From some of the other posts I have searched I understand that there is some sort of counter that captures the number of times a regen has happened and assesses the oil quality based on that. In turn when fresh oil is put in you need to reset the counter otherwise it has no means of knowing. So if I have not misunderstood the other posts it is not a light that needs extinguishing but a counter that needs resetting. Can anyone confirm if I am on the right track with this at all as I am sure there must be a few people who change their own oil etc. on a 120 MultiJet?

I bought my car at the beginning of the year and it had only covered about 5k miles at the time in its first year. I have added a further 10k to it in the last 4 months and almost all the miles a motorway or dual carriageway so I am not sure when I might have been prompted for an oil change.

Any comments, observations welcome and thanks in advance

Peter

PS - No response on the Fiat ECU Scan product yet either

Hi All,

Progress on this has been a little slow of late as I was 'rear ended' by a Transit pickup a month ago and it has taken the repairers rather a long time to source the rear wheels, tyres and offside back window but all done now.

As a slight aside when the tinted offside rear window broke it literally shattered into 1'000s pieces - fortunately no-one was hurt but I was really lucky not to have the dogs with me at the time - I was sort of expecting it to shatter like a windscreen tough.

Anyway, the car is back now and I had the following reply from Yani at Fiat ECUScan.

"Yes, you can definitely clear the annual service reminder with current version of FiatECUScan.

I’m not very sure about the Oil degradation as I’m not sure exactly which type of engine/ECU your car has. It is either “Bosch EDC16C39 CF4” or “Bosch EDC16C39 CF5”. The 1st one is currently supported by FiatECUScan and you can reset Oil degradation, but the 2nd one is not supported yet. It will be supported soon... so if you have this engine then watch for future releases.

You can also download the free version of FiatECUScan and use the “Scan” function to scan your vehicle and find out which type of engine ECU you have.
"

With this in mind I have bought a USB connectable ODBKey reader and will hopefully soon be able to report some progress.

At the moment, the Fiat Doblo 1.9 Multijet is not listed as an available vehicle in the software and reading the forums it looks as though you have to try a few other models and see which matches best - I will start with the 1.9 JTD and would welcome any other suggestions if any readers have connected their 1.9 MultiJets to this software.

ATB

Peter

I'm an early FiatECUScan user (and a site moderator) and Yani and FiatECUScan is the way to go for any Fiat / Alfa vehicle.

The biggest problems with some 'clone' KKL and ELM hardware devices (especially the cheap Chinese devices) is bad, intermittant or iffy connections to the cars systems.

I would recommend anybody/all to look at Gendan.co.uk for your hardware AND CABLES!
I've used their kit for a very long time now and have had no problems or issues.

Suggest everybody thinking of getting their own diagnostic kit/software (regardless of make) look at the FiatECUScan forum and espcially those threads related to getting some/many cheap ELM devices connecting properly

• Thanks
Personally I don't have a problem with any software but if the oil deg is reset it must be because the oil was changed & not just to put light out to sell the car.

Absolutely CORRECT!

As we both know, especially with DPF equiped cars, correct oil change and correct associated resetting is absolutely essential. Failure to comply will eventually result in very expensive tears.

I find peoples desire for 'cheap' or to even 'bypass' recommend/required service requirements a total lunacy and ultimately a very expensive failure. Sadly I guess the expected expensive failure hits the person who just recently bought the car.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Thanks
I had oil degraded message on my "new" purchase.. however after a couple of good motorway runs and an injector cleaner.. it now only says.." change oil" which is an improvement of sorts anyway.. waiting for my scanning hardware so I can see what these messages really mean.!
Interesting point is when the fuel is low and the low fuel light is on I do not get any of these annoying messages!
Particularly annoying is the "ABS EBD turn off engine" intermittent ones! :(

All it needs doing is resetting the timer clock for oil change and oil derogation, they are not sensors only timers / clocks.

Arnold Clark's software cannot reset the timer. They have tried and failed many times.

I have now got 1 cable to try the FiatECUscan software and it is all looking good except now I have to pay for licence so I can reset the timer.. and Buy the full cable set to be able to find out what sensors is down on the ABS / EBD system. :(

Looking at the software although I have a 120bhp 8 v 1.9 Multijet, the ECU, on first look, is the same as the 1.9 JTD.

I will report on a new thread when I've got it sorted.

Ebay item number 250830476557 full set of cables / conectors for £36.95 inc P+P Bargain! ;) :D

• Thanks
Hi All,
Just noticed this post and thought I'd chip in my tuppenceworth.

I got my 8v Croma 1.9D multijet serviced at a local garage yesterday and they couldn't reset the oil indicator either. The ECU is a Bosch EDC16C39 CF4.

I plugged in my KKL cable and laptop running FIATECUscan v1.6 and ran the diagnostics to check.

The oil was 17% degraded (remember this means the opposite of what you think!) and was showing 8500km to next oil change.

Particle filter was 60.53% obstructed and average distance between regenerations was 1118km at an average time of 534 seconds.

I tried to use the oil replacement actuator and it reported execution failed. Switched the engine off, plugged it back in, tried it again and no message. I checked the diagnostics and it's now showing oil 100% deteriorated and 50,000km to next change so I guess it must have worked. :slayer:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Morning All,

Just noticed some more activity on this subject so thought I would report complete success using the FiatECUScan product. I was able to update the two parameters to say that the oil had been changed and that a service had been carried out.

I would have liked to have tried the other products as well but as I had a laptop available and the FiatECUScan software provided additional functionality that's what I went for.

In terms of cost (assuming the laptop already available) I spent just under £150. The FiatECUScan s/w was about £45 and the cable I went for was £93.50 ( http://www.obdkey.com/obd_usb_info.asp? ). There are cheaper interface solutions available but I did a bit of reading and fancied this one.

For a little more detail, once connected I ran a scan and it produced the following report :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scanning ...

Engine
Bosch EDC16C39 CF4/EOBD Diesel Injection (1.9, 2.4)
ISO Code: FD 86 CB 85 A8

Body
Marelli Body Computer MY03
ISO Code: 40 83 91 02 AB

Dashboard
Service Interval Reset (Comfort)
ISO Code: 32 83 10 02 1C

COMPLETED
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My car is a 120HP 8v MultiJet Doblo and although this is not mentioned in the software compatibility list the 1.9 JTD also appears to have the same components installed so appears to be compatible.

There is a lot that this software can display and I guess the art is in knowing how to interpret it and what to look for in the event of a problem but here is a listing of the parameters on my 2009 120HP MultiJet for interest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F2 Info
ECU ISO code FD 86 CB 85 A8
FIAT drawing number 51809513
Hardware number 0281013675
Hardware version 00
Software number 1037388119
Software version 3442
Homologation number 22344
ECU programming date 05/30/2009

Service Interval Reset
ECU ISO code 32 83 10 02 1C
ECU programming date 07/03/2009

10/06/2011 19:01:49
A/C pressure sensor: mBar
A/C request:
Accelerator pedal track: Acc. Pot. Track 1
Air temperature (Boost/Manifold): 72.36 °C
Air temperature (MAF): 38.26 °C
Air temperature signal (Boost/Manifold): 1,280.3 mV
Average distance last 5 regenerations: 426 mi
Average temperature of last 5 regenerations: 633.66 °C
Baro pressure: 1,005 mBar
Battery voltage: 12.610 V
Boost control/solenoid: 74.96 %
Boost pressure signal: 1,617.5 mV
Boost pressure: 1,002 mBar
Bosch EDC16C39 CF4/EOBD Diesel Injection (1.9, 2.4)
Brake light switch: OFF
Brake pedal switch: Released
Clutch pedal switch: Pressed
Cruise control request:
Cruise control switch:
Desired boost pressure: 980 mBar
Desired fuel pressure: 270.00 bar
Desired intake air quantity: 3,275.5 mg/i
Differential pressure sensor: 0 mBar
Distance to next Oil change: 31,069 mi
Distance to next Oil change: 6,835 mi
ECU ISO Code: FD 86 CB 85 A8
ECU programming date: 05/30/2009
EGR control: OFF
EGR valve opening: 4.00 %
Engine ECU: Programmed
Engine oil level: %
Engine oil pressure: Not significant
Engine speed: 0 rpm
Engine start permission: Allowed
Engine temperature light:
Engine temperature light: OFF
Engine temperature: 81.26 °C
EXECUTING ADJUSTMENT...
Failure indicator light:
Failure indicator light: Flashing
Fuel gauge: 23.023 %
Fuel pressure (Gauge): 4.30 bar
Fuel pressure sensor: 503.3 mV
Fuel pump relay: OFF
Fuel temperature signal: 2,726.9 mV
Fuel temperature: 33.66 °C
Gas pedal position signal 1: 777.0 mV
Gas pedal position signal 2: 395.8 mV
Gas pedal position: 0.00 %
Gear engaged: None/Neutral
Gearbox type: Not learnt
Glow plug circuit: OFF
Glow plugs indicator light: OFF
Hardware number: 0281013675
Hardware version: 00
Homologation number: 22344
Inj. correction Cyl. 1: 0.00 mm³/i
Inj. correction Cyl. 2: 0.00 mm³/i
Inj. correction Cyl. 3: 0.00 mm³/i
Inj. correction Cyl. 4: 0.00 mm³/i
Inj. correction Cyl. 5: mm³/i
Injector code Cyl. 1: 8SR5B2AAA
Injector code Cyl. 2: A1S1HBCAA
Injector code Cyl. 3: AIAR765AA
Injector code Cyl. 4: AIAAC2EAA
Injector code Cyl. 5:
Inlet circ. solenoid valve opening: %
Intake air quantity signal period: 0.553 ms
Intake air quantity: 0.0 mg/i
Lambda oxygen concentration: %
Lambda sensor signal: V
Last 5 regenerations average duration: 599 sec
Max. engine speed time: 0.00 sec
Maximum engine speed: 0 rpm
Number of programmings: 0
Odometer at last DPF replacement: 15,671 mi
Odometer at last Oil change: 15,672.2 mi
Odometer at last programming: 0.0 mi
Odometer at last regeneration: 29.0 mi
Odometer: 15,687.9 mi
Oil change (only for version with DPF)
Oil change counter: 1
Oil degradation level: 100.00 %
Overrev count: 0
Particle filter status: Not clogged
Particle filter temperature: 120.36 °C
Particulate filter clogging: 17.06 %
Pre-catalyser temperature: 37.46 °C
Pressure regulator opening (DRV): %
Pressure regulator opening (MPROP): 0.00 %
Regeneration progress: 0.000 %
Software number: 1037388119
Software version: 3442
Throttle angle: 5.00 %
Total fuel quantity: 0.000 mm³/i
Universal code: Disabled
Vehicle speed: 0.0 mph
Vehicle version: with DPF
Water in fuel warning light: OFF

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps and all the best.

Peter

Should also have mentioned that I was running FiatECUScan 3.03 (latest version as at beginning of July 2011) under Windows XP.

Screenshots attached

Attachments

• Dobbie ECU Params.pdf
    420.9 KB · Views: 241
Back