Register Login
Save up to 15% with Adrian Flux insurance!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2014   #1
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 15
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
"Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Hi. I have recently taken my ducato to a diesel mechanic to try and source the problem with the over fuelling smell coming from the exhaust.

He had an idea that the fuel pump could be out of timing? So he's checked the timing and everything is spot on. He found a split fuel hose that he change. The engine is a mechanical turbo diesel so very basic with no egr valves etc.. So I've been told.

He advised maybe the next thing to do would be to send the pump off to be checked /reconditioned if required.

Wanted to get some more input from anybody that is used to this type of engine? It's had full engine service. Injectors have been re-tipped and tested. All hoses have been checked. Now timing and fuel pump timing is all correct.. What's next!!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Darn66 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-11-2014   #2
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Hello , This is interesting , can you tell me if you sorted it ? When the mechanic 'checked' the
timeing , what method was used . sorry I didn't spot your post earlier . regards Tony
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

wheelnuts is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-01-2015   #3
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 15
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Hi Tony.
Sorry for the late reply but for some reason the notifications for received messages doesn't work..? Still not sorted yet but to be honest not really looked into it as I've been busy. The mechanic checked the positions of the markers on the pully wheels.. But I have since taken it to somebody else and the asked me the same question as you.. His question to me was did they use a dti gauge? Is this a more precise way of setting the injection pump?
Regards
Darren
Thanks Duffy1948 thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Darn66 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-01-2015   #4
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 545
Thanks: 28
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

What kind of miles are on it? If the timing doesn't sound off, you have normal power and noones been fiddling with the pump. I'd be looking at injectors.

Its pretty common for people to turn up the fuelling on the pump check the smoke screw still has its anti pamper intact. Some of those pumps have a timing advance on them when cold that may have failed.
Thanks Darn66 thanked for this post
Likes Darn66 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ecunotemu is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-02-2015   #5
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Portugal 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Hello Friends.

I have a 1992 ducato 2.5td and seem to have a lot of white/blue smoke. And the smell its a bit bad.

Do you achieve some conclusion to this problem?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

gomesdm is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-02-2015   #6
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 424
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Quote Originally Posted by Darn66 View Post
Hi. I have recently taken my ducato to a diesel mechanic to try and source the problem with the over fuelling smell coming from the exhaust.

He had an idea that the fuel pump could be out of timing? So he's checked the timing and everything is spot on. He found a split fuel hose that he change. The engine is a mechanical turbo diesel so very basic with no egr valves etc.. So I've been told.

He advised maybe the next thing to do would be to send the pump off to be checked /reconditioned if required.

Wanted to get some more input from anybody that is used to this type of engine? It's had full engine service. Injectors have been re-tipped and tested. All hoses have been checked. Now timing and fuel pump timing is all correct.. What's next!!

What pump is fitted to it Bosch or Lucas ?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

K333fer is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-02-2015   #7
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 22
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

maybe test injectors if they arent atomizing fuel properly ,this will cause unburnt fuel to go to exhaust . if you remove them and fit them back on pipes turn over engine ,you can look at ends of injectors and see if you are getting good atomisation .or dribbling .be carefull fuel exits at very high pressure .
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

muso1958 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-02-2015   #8
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 424
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Quote Originally Posted by muso1958 View Post
maybe test injectors if they arent atomizing fuel properly ,this will cause unburnt fuel to go to exhaust . if you remove them and fit them back on pipes turn over engine ,you can look at ends of injectors and see if you are getting good atomisation .or dribbling .be carefull fuel exits at very high pressure .

That's is dangerous not only from the point of fuel entering the body at around 180 bar but also for the fire risk please don't try this
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

K333fer is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-02-2015   #9
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 22
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Hi ive been a diesel engineer for 40 yrs this is why i suggested caution . obviously no naked flames and no fingers on ends of nozzles !
incidentally the pressure is similar to that exiting a pressure washer .I hope most have the sense to not put your fingers there either.
One could always put each injectors in plastic bottles or jar to avois any mess .
This is how a diesel specialist checks spray patterns on a test bench .
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

muso1958 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-02-2015   #10
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 424
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Quote Originally Posted by muso1958 View Post
Hi ive been a diesel engineer for 40 yrs this is why i suggested caution . obviously no naked flames and no fingers on ends of nozzles !
incidentally the pressure is similar to that exiting a pressure washer .I hope most have the sense to not put your fingers there either.
One could always put each injectors in plastic bottles or jar to avois any mess .
This is how a diesel specialist checks spray patterns on a test bench .

As engineers, mechanic.technitians, we have it drummed in to us how dangerous it is during our training , and know the dangers and no disrespect to any guys on here who want help fixing their vehicles theirselves but we don't know their capabilities do we , the amount of common rail stuff I've had brought in to our place that people have played with and been told I my mate told me to slacken the injector pipes to check for fuel is unbelievable really , was just airing on the side of caution no disrespect Ment
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

K333fer is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-02-2015   #11
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 22
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Quote Originally Posted by K333fer View Post
As engineers, mechanic.technitians, we have it drummed in to us how dangerous it is during our training , and know the dangers and no disrespect to any guys on here who want help fixing their vehicles theirselves but we don't know their capabilities do we , the amount of common rail stuff I've had brought in to our place that people have played with and been told I my mate told me to slacken the injector pipes to check for fuel is unbelievable really , was just airing on the side of caution no disrespect Ment
Totally understand your point ,Maybe i should have rammed it in a bit more re being cautious.I have done this many times but obviously with all work on large heavy objects If not reasonably profficient in DIY dont do this ....or climb under your suspended vehicle without axle stands or use a craft knife by pulling it towards you ,or touch your exhaust when its hot i suppose i could go on forever.
I think though injectors are favorite ,It will probably cost around 50 to have them checked ,but no doubt they will be below spec even if they are still capable of doing the job ,this will invariably mean a big bill for having them recon'd
I always prefer to check stuff myself before handing over to someone who may well just want to make money out of you .
Apologies for any misunderstanding
Likes The Seasider, varesecrazy, K333fer liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

muso1958 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-02-2015   #12
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 15
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Thanks for all the input guys.. And don't worry I won't take my fingers off!!
The injectors have been fully reconditioned, tested & re-tipped so I am assuming that they are ok.
The pump I am not sure about there does seem to be various types in the manual I have but a bit reluctant to mess about with it to much.

I haven't fixed the problem yet and I am assuming there is a problem? but after reading one of your comments about it being a cold start issue might make sense as it does get better once the engine warms up a bit.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Darn66 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-02-2015   #13
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 545
Thanks: 28
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Quote Originally Posted by Darn66 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys.. And don't worry I won't take my fingers off!!
The injectors have been fully reconditioned, tested & re-tipped so I am assuming that they are ok.
The pump I am not sure about there does seem to be various types in the manual I have but a bit reluctant to mess about with it to much.

I haven't fixed the problem yet and I am assuming there is a problem? but after reading one of your comments about it being a cold start issue might make sense as it does get better once the engine warms up a bit.
Is your idle rpm correct?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ecunotemu is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-02-2015   #14
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 545
Thanks: 28
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

Quote Originally Posted by Darn66 View Post
a bit reluctant to mess about with it to much
If you turn the lda screw anticlockwise it will reduce the fueling when you not in boost. If you have to turn it to the point that you have too low idle/judder you will have to adjust the idle screw to increase it again. If its overfuelling the idle is probably high anyway. If you record the number of turns / fractions of turns and direction you can set it back the way it was if you're not happy.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ecunotemu is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-02-2015   #15
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 15
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: "Over Fuelling"1991 2.5td 290 Ducato Hymer

I Would say so? The only thing which seems strange is when you turn ignition key glow plug light lights up and doesn't go out but the engine starts straight away without any hesitation.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Darn66 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Ducato 1991 2.5td oil light. Darn66 Ducato 7 10-08-2014 18:09
(G) Ducato Hymer B544 1991 JonnyReggae Ducato 4 26-10-2013 01:55
(G) WANTED - DUCATO 1991 2.5TD owners manual FLOYD THE BARBER Ducato 12 26-07-2012 19:44
(T) Ducato 290 2,5D 1991 diesel pomp problems vmsantos Ducato 0 27-02-2011 19:25
(G) "Revise" Rear Suspension On Fiat Uno 1991 ery Uno 2 12-02-2003 00:31