Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
New Esseesse - Water sloshing/gurgling noise on acceleration

I picked up a brand new Esseesse 2 weeks ago (Snows Hampshire) but due to this and that it's only done 50 miles so far, and has been garaged the rest of the time.
Initial runs no issues; Drove it back from the dealer, and then a round trip to town with no issues, and then on the 3rd trip out after pulling out of our parking area, round a little turn and then pulling out onto a main road onto a straight and accelerating we all heard what sounded like water sloshing/gurgling/trickling from behind the dash (more left side, say behind the glovebox) and it was loud enough my dashcam picked it up.

After a slosh or two it stopped and it didn't happen again until a few miles into the return journey. Next journey out on the first straight bit and accelerating it did it again but was then fine and didn't happen on the way back. Out again last Saturday and it did it again in the same place, just out of my road and accelerating, but it wasn't quite as loud this time.
I also noted this time we actually had the usual water droplets under the car when we stopped which hasn't appeared the previous times out although the air cons been on every times its been out (not sure if relevant or not)

It was inside the showroom and has been garaged the entire time I've had it, and so the only time it has got wet recently was when they washed it just before handing it over. I have heard of water gathering in the scuttle
panel/tray but it doesn't do it on cornering and I've had as good a look as I can without taking it to bits and it looks dry in there, so sign of any water.

I initially asked about it on FB and the consensus was either blocked scuttle, air in the coolant system or as the heater matrix is around that area it could be normal operation as it adjusts and the water pump is circulating the coolant.

It's going back to the dealer to get a seat badge fixed (found a tiny snapped piece on inspection) tomorrow, and I've asked them to take a look at this issue at the same time.

Has anyone else had this? Other than the noise it appears to drive fine and isn't overheating (although the bonnet is hot to the touch after its been out, way hotter than my 500 TA).
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
chris3234 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New Esseesse - Water sloshing/gurgling noise on acceleration

My first guess is definitely air in the coolit system I'd avoid driving it as much as possible until the dealers looks at it especially in the current hot weather

chris3234 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
United Kingdom 

Thanks, I didn't use it and took it in last Thursday and told them I thought it could be that. To my surprise the guy booking it in said he thought it could be the same thing and the reason the bonnet was getting to hot to touch was due to bad cooling.

Tbh I used to dealers and garages just fobbing people off or trying to, but he actually listened and agreed which threw me lol

So as I'd already noted before dropping it off the coolant was filled up way to high (it was over max) so they took that out, bled it, and refilled it to the right level and it seems fine now.
Likes Baglady1990, Ralf S., varesecrazy liked this post
Old 3 Days Ago   #4
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 

Scary a 'new car' has too much coolant in..

Maybe it had an air pocket.. and it was still given its 'full volume'

Good to hear it appears to be sorted
Likes Baglady1990 liked this post

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Days Ago   #5
United Kingdom 

Yes.. sounds like the "overfill" was preventing the system from purging itself.

You usually only hear gurgling when the head gasket has gone (then because it's getting gas in it, quicker than it can purge itself).

Yours sounds good now though..

Ralf S.