General I went for a test drive in an Abarth today

Currently reading:
General I went for a test drive in an Abarth today

But it's a meaningless measure. If Draigflag fills up twice a week but only puts 20l of fuel in and I fill up once a week and put 40l of fuel in......

Then you get better mileage per tank, durrrr! :bang:

On a side note, is this forums average intelligence decreasing, or am I getting shorter tempered?

PS> Wanna buy a 500 with no airbags? Some old woman hit it with her bag. No damage. Honest.

Then you get better mileage per tank, durrrr! :bang:

On a side note, is this forums average intelligence decreasing, or am I getting shorter tempered?

PS> Wanna buy a 500 with no airbags? Some old woman hit it with her bag. No damage. Honest.
Do I? I put the same amount of fuel in as him. To work out mpg you need to know what mileage someone does and how much fuel they use to do that mileage.

That's why tanks per week is a meaningless measure.

Do I? I put the same amount of fuel in as him. To work out mpg you need to know what mileage someone does and how much fuel they use to do that mileage.

That's why tanks per week is a meaningless measure.

Its not meaningless. I just wanna know how much miles you get out of full tank when brimmed. But if you dont wanna tell me then im sorry i asked. Ill ask elsewhere.

Its not meaningless. I just wanna know how much miles you get out of full tank when brimmed. But if you dont wanna tell me then im sorry i asked. Ill ask elsewhere.

First of all almost no one brims their tank. I do and I've had 42 litres in my car a car before and 460 miles from a tank BUT I don't own an Abarth.

Here's an Abarth owner but they don't brim their car and run it low

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ricey155/500

Here's me who brims my car

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/306maxi/500

As you can see it makes a big difference to the distance you can travel but of course I pay more per tank than anyone else because I'm putting more fuel in.

What you're ACTUALLY interested in is MPG. Which is the actual distance a car will go on a set amount of fuel.

Jane here chooses to refuel earlier than myself and as such the best mileage she's had from a tank is 300. I've had 460 from my car, but it doesn't mean that Janes car only does 2/3 the MPG of my car.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/janep/500

Like I said, tanks are a misleading unit because for some like myself a tank is 40l of fuel and for others it's 20 or 25l.

You seem to think that I'm trying to pull the wool over your eyes and deceive you or just trying to be unhelpful. Nothing could be further from the truth....

People tell me they get, say, 300 miles to a tank, whereas their last car only got 290. They then try and tell me thier new car is more economical. I discover their last car was a totally different model/manufacturer/size and so their comparison is meaningless. I ask how many miles per gallon they get, and they don't have clue.

All a total waste of time. I am talking about women here though, whose husbands take care of all their car related matters except their opinions on cars; which are also meaningless.

Last edited:
People tell me they get, say, 300 miles to a tank, whereas their last car only got 290. They then try and tell me thier new car is more economical. I discover their last car was a totally different model/manufacturer/size and so their comparison is meaningless. I ask how many miles per gallon they get, and they don't have clue.

Exactly.

People are strange with fuel and often don't understand the mathematics of it all. I once went away for a week with some friends after we'd finished school and my mate filled up the rather massive tank in his 80's Range Rover and then split it 4 ways shortly after we'd set off. I was tempted to say "Errr shouldn't we pay to fill the car up after you've come back? So we're paying for the fuel you've ACTUALLY used rather than what you've just put in your car" but tbh he just wouldn't have understood.

Sometimes I feel like some sort of heretic for having a good understanding of mathematics :ROFLMAO:

I thought i answered this question? Oakley: My Abarth is the most fuelled up 500 on the site, i have covered the most miles and brim it until there is fuel visible sitting in the nozzle every time so my calculations are 100% accurate.

You can see my average miles per tank for the past 10,000 miles (almost) is 232 miles. My best was 286. That is what you will more than likely get too. Hope this helps.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/fiat500abarth/500

p.s. my current tank i've done almost 40 MPG so it's pretty good sometimes! :)

I thought i answered this question? Oakley: My Abarth is the most fuelled up 500 on the site, i have covered the most miles and brim it until there is fuel visible sitting in the nozzle every time so my calculations are 100% accurate.

You can see my average miles per tank for the past 10,000 miles (almost) is 232 miles. My best was 286. That is what you will more than likely get too. Hope this helps.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/fiat500abarth/500

p.s. my current tank i've done almost 40 MPG so it's pretty good sometimes! :)

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Like I said miles per tank is relatively meaningless..... mpg actually means something.

Put it this way. If you were to run your tank dry (as I do) and have a good run (going on your fuelly stats) you could get 330 miles out of a tank of 42 litres, if I were to only run my car as low as yours and put 30 or 32 litres in and had an average run then I could end up with 330 miles on a "tank" of fuel.

Now which car is going to be more costly to run in terms of fuel? If we're talking in terms of miles per tank they both did just as well, but your car drank 12 litres more fuel than mine and consequently cost you more money. Now does it make sense as to why miles per tank is a bit of a silly measure especially when you're trying to work out the cost of owning a car.

Statistics are useful, but only if you're using them in the right way.

Maxi all that mattered to Oakley was how much it was going to cost him per week in fuel, he can do that a number of ways, one is by seeing how many miles he can do on a tank, another is to look at my average MPG over the last 10k, assume he will get similar, work out the cost per mile (16p) then times that by however many miles he does per week/month/year. If he did 12,000 miles a year then it would cost him 12,000 x 0.16p = £1920 a year or share that into 52 = £36.92 a week.

But i don't think he cares right down to the last penny. Not many people risk damaging their £15,000+ car or breaking down in a dangerous spot by running their car dry. I've had over 38 litres in mine just for the record.

Maxi all that mattered to Oakley was how much it was going to cost him per week in fuel, he can do that a number of ways, one is by seeing how many miles he can do on a tank, another is to look at my average MPG over the last 10k, assume he will get similar, work out the cost per mile (16p) then times that by however many miles he does per week/month/year. If he did 12,000 miles a year then it would cost him 12,000 x 0.16p = £1920 a year or share that into 52 = £36.92 a week.

But i don't think he cares right down to the last penny. Not many people risk damaging their £15,000+ car or breaking down in a dangerous spot by running their car dry. I've had over 38 litres in mine just for the record.

As I've said time and time again miles per tank is misleading and not a true measure

Filling up my car with 32 litres of fuel @£1.20 and travelling 330 miles will cost me 38.40
Filling up your car with 42 litres of fuel @ the same price and travelling 330 miles will cost you 50.40

Same miles per tank, over a whole year if you have 52 tanks that's £624 more you'll spend. MPG alloys you to compare cost a lot more directl.

Well this is going back a bit now, but I'm pretty sure the priority was to find out how much extra it was going to cost him per year in fuel compared to his Stilo. I think with all the info in this topic he has the information he needs to work that out, what ever way he chooses.

I personally think cost per mile is the easiest way to do that.

Well this is going back a bit now, but I'm pretty sure the priority was to find out how much extra it was going to cost him per year in fuel compared to his Stilo. I think with all the info in this topic he has the information he needs to work that out, what ever way he chooses.

*sigh*

Life is too short to be concerned about mpg etc, if you purchase an Abarth,
I know I don't. It's a sporty little number that's built to be enjoyed.
If you can afford to spend in the region of 16k on a small car, I'm sure
fuel consumption won't really be an issue.

Just buy & enjoy. :)

Life is too short to be concerned about mpg etc, if you purchase an Abarth,
I know I don't. It's a sporty little number that's built to be enjoyed.
If you can afford to spend in the region of 16k on a small car, I'm sure
fuel consumption won't really be an issue.

Just buy & enjoy. :)
And that i do! I don't really care what it costs me, but being a slight statoholic i do like to keep a record of everything just out of interest really. Besides, by keeping track of what you spend, you can concentrate on what you £ave, sorry save! Ka'ching! ££££££ ;)

This is true :D So cheers again DraigFlag.

Argh I give up. I tried to help you to get a more accurate measure of how much an Abarth was going to cost you or save you over your current car but you've thrown it back in my face for no real reason :doh: As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Argh I give up. I tried to help you to get a more accurate measure of how much an Abarth was going to cost you or save you over your current car but you've thrown it back in my face for no real reason :doh: As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

I know u was - but you got all technical when it wasnt what i asked for. Appreciate the info, but again it wasnt what i asked.

Back