General First test drive of a 595 Trofeo

Currently reading:
General First test drive of a 595 Trofeo

I test drove a 595 Trofeo on Monday at a local Abarth dealer. 2018 red model. I was blown away by the stability for such a small car - it was steadier than my Avensis, no exageration. The ride was firm but again, not teeth shakingly so as I expected. The exhaust was also not overly loud, although it certainly would make you turn your head when its cold started for a second. It sounds absolutely beautiful, and I'm not usually one to find exhaust notes impressive unless it's something truly special like that of a Ferrari with V12 etc! This model had the digital TFT instrument cluster too which is quite nice while driving - Sport Mode changed it all to red, but to my surprise it made a substantial difference to the drive: power kicked in faster, the exhaust was noticeably louder as well and the steering felt a little different. I was up at about near 70 without realising. Truly a unique and phenomenal experience.

They're looking for £14k which doesn't seem bad - suspiciously cheap for a main dealer, in NI, right now with how car prices are as well. 11.9% as well which isn't great (bring back lockdown 6.6% offers!!!).

My big issue would be moving from the Avensis practicality to this. I'm itching to get back into the Fiat world, as great as my car is today it's lacking the character and the pride of ownership that I always had with my Panda's. In saying that, getting used to manual lights, wipers, mirrors etc, plus what is sure to be lack of comfort on a 1.5+ hour drive - is what is making me think twice. The dealer also wants to offer me 8k part exchange which is a bit of a joke, they won't move on that. I paid 12k last January, they are now selling a one year older, similar miles identical spec Avensis for 12.5k.... I reckon I could get 10.5/11 looking at AutoTrader but who actually has that cash in pocket at the same time... would be difficult to sell in practice - any tips on that so I'd at least not lose some of the money I put into my car?

Did any of you have a similar kind of hold up in terms of wanting to buy an Abarth? What made you finally go for it?

The giant smile on my face. It's even more fun than my 100HP was. And I drive at least once a year to Croatia and back with my boattrailer. 1700 Km one way so definetely longer than 1.5 hour... No issues.

gr J
That's definitely more of a trek!

I'd love to drive an old Panda 100hp just to say I had! Only ever saw about 5 with my own eyes in person too.

The other thing stopping me is presently, though my friends all drive decent / recent 3 door BM's, the Avensis is always the go-to for long journeys. And I'm one of those folks who will offer to drive, or take my car too.. I can't see half of them fitting in the back let alone wanting to for more than a quick trip. Trying to weigh it all up. It's more that I'm coming from a large car to it, that I'll think "ahhh if I didn't switch" versus the past where with the Panda it was always more being blown away by what the little car could do. But the 500 in general versus Panda is a big drop in headspace / room... but none of the Abarth sweetness under the bonnet there with no 100hp successor on the Panda line :-(

I usually drive with just my wife (and a 3,5 Kg Toypudel), but we've been away with 4 (35 year old daughter and 33 year old son) and they said that there was a little more room than the Panda had.
All my camping gear fits just as easy asit did in the Panda.

Attachments

• 1631695128896.jpg
    1631695128896.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 1631695128903.jpg
    1631695128903.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 51
Have you tried We Buy Any Car (although I am not sure they're in NI)? Offer pretty good money and a lot more than Cazoo do.
No hassle and money in the bin, they also settle finance too.

11.9APR is steep. Get a bank loan.

Have you tried We Buy Any Car (although I am not sure they're in NI)? Offer pretty good money and a lot more than Cazoo do.
No hassle and money in the bin, they also settle finance too.

11.9APR is steep. Get a bank loan.
Although this Abarth 595 is now sold and I've dampened the notion (for now) to get one, we do have WBAC. I sold my DS3 in 2021 to them and actually made a profit (£300). They were offering decent money for my Avensis a couple of months ago but the killer for me is all the money I've put into it. I could walk away from it, think I owe about 8.4k settlement but until I've had at least a year out of these Primacy 4's etc, I reckon it'd be a bad shout to trade in now. Also been putting in genuine oils / filters etc twice as much as required by the book... All good with the 'keep it til the wheels fall off' approach, but then selling it makes all of that a big waste. Floated it on AutoTrader but quite unlikely to get even what it's worth on there from private buyers.

11.9% is way too high. I got 9.9% in 2019 as my first ever finance.. 6.6% in 2020 because of their desperation to sell cars. I think I'm on 7.9% something with the Avensis..

In 2021 I applied for Santander who had something insane like as low as 2.8%. They're my bank too so I applied. They approved it... but at 24.9% .... I've never missed a payment in my life and have had various credit cards / store plans (also never paid a penny of interest where possible), usually am somewhere between 20-40 points of a full 999 on Experian and always end up getting big credit limits when I open a credit line too. So it's beyond me why they said 24.9. Issue being, I couldn't keep applying for all the other low rates at the time, as allegedly applying for loads quickly means they lower your score.. so I played it safe and accepted the 7.9. Was really annoying because they said something like "new laws mean we need to offer everyone the same" which makes zero sense to me. I think they make it up as they go along

Although this Abarth 595 is now sold and I've dampened the notion (for now) to get one, we do have WBAC. I sold my DS3 in 2021 to them and actually made a profit (£300). They were offering decent money for my Avensis a couple of months ago but the killer for me is all the money I've put into it. I could walk away from it, think I owe about 8.4k settlement but until I've had at least a year out of these Primacy 4's etc, I reckon it'd be a bad shout to trade in now. Also been putting in genuine oils / filters etc twice as much as required by the book... All good with the 'keep it til the wheels fall off' approach, but then selling it makes all of that a big waste. Floated it on AutoTrader but quite unlikely to get even what it's worth on there from private buyers.

11.9% is way too high. I got 9.9% in 2019 as my first ever finance.. 6.6% in 2020 because of their desperation to sell cars. I think I'm on 7.9% something with the Avensis..

In 2021 I applied for Santander who had something insane like as low as 2.8%. They're my bank too so I applied. They approved it... but at 24.9% .... I've never missed a payment in my life and have had various credit cards / store plans (also never paid a penny of interest where possible), usually am somewhere between 20-40 points of a full 999 on Experian and always end up getting big credit limits when I open a credit line too. So it's beyond me why they said 24.9. Issue being, I couldn't keep applying for all the other low rates at the time, as allegedly applying for loads quickly means they lower your score.. so I played it safe and accepted the 7.9. Was really annoying because they said something like "new laws mean we need to offer everyone the same" which makes zero sense to me. I think they make it up as they go along
I think it’s best to keep the Toyota in the current climate. Interests rates aren’t the best and car prices are inflated (unless you’re after a used electric car).
I have owned a 595 Comp for a couple of years now and I would say I wouldn’t have it as a main car. Not the most practical and rock hard suspension.
As a second car, it’s great.
If you do go for an Abarth, further down the line, then I would recommend you try the lower spec T-Jet 595. Ride is so much more forgiving and it’s a lot more cheaper.

Back