General I went for a test drive in an Abarth today

Currently reading:
General I went for a test drive in an Abarth today

is it rude to go for a test drive just because you are desperate to drive one ???
Are you serious!? I'm guessing most people who test drive a car have no intention of buying it! Go for it! I keep my eyes peeled for those 24 hour test drives, did 340 miles in the last one of those, now that's a test drive!

Besides, you are considering one anyway? (y)

Well, I had the 1.2 Sport. It was a bit slow. Test drove an SS which had some mileage on it. Ordered one the following week.
It only has the 135BHP and 3,400 miles and it's way faster than when new and stunningly better than the 1.2 Sport was.

Still running ours in, its only on 650 miles so far but its quick enough to bring a smile to my face! With the sport and TTC button on its such a laugh! For 135hp i still cant believe how quick it is, and the noise it makes is fantastic!

Had a lot of attention this weekend at cadwell park as well :D

I drove my A500 at Oulton when it had just broken past 600 miles and it was very quick (nothing could really touch it on the day). It hasn't become any quicker and is now nearing 10000 miles. If anything it lost some of its sparkle due to a broken suspension mounting that just got fixed (and is now as good as new).

The overall feel of performance is pretty dull until you start chucking it around corners. By comparison I drove a Mito 1.4 16v while my car was being fixed and it felt quicker despite being 3 seconds slower to 60mph, the reason is there is such a difference in performance as it revs up. The A500 in comparison is relatively brutal across the entire rev range but lacks the sudden change in torque that the NA 1.4 engine showed in the Mito.

If all you are going to do is run up and down motorways or pootle around town there is no point (none worth mentioning) to buying an Abarth. If you're going to do some touring down the lanes or track days then there is little comparison between a regular 500 and an Abarth - the Abarth excels by a huge margin and will run rings around the slower, rolly polly 500.

My only argument against the A500 is the standard tyres are not up to lengthy track day sessions and it wouldn't take much to completely destroy a new set of tyres inside a few sessions.

This is true information. Would it really be worth it just to potter up and down to work on the motorway.

Yeah but you'll find it difficult to potter in one of these. Even when you try your hardest, someone in a Diesel Golf on steel rims will think they stand a chance and you will be duty bound to put them in their place. :slayer:

Thats all i need to here.

EDIT: How many miles do you get out of your tank on pure motorway?

I'm currently getting around 35mpg. I put in around 30 litres a week of the 99 octane Tesco petrol and this usually lasts a week. Also, my A500 has been chipped with the GTECH piggyback, coming out with 163bhp and it certainly suprises a few of the bigger cars ;) Even with the standard 135bhp you can whip some! Trust me I've been there and done it!! lol

I'm currently getting around 35mpg. I put in around 30 litres a week of the 99 octane Tesco petrol and this usually lasts a week. Also, my A500 has been chipped with the GTECH piggyback, coming out with 163bhp and it certainly suprises a few of the bigger cars ;) Even with the standard 135bhp you can whip some! Trust me I've been there and done it!! lol

How many miles in a week do you do? I do 250, so would that be a tank a week for me too?

I get 35-37mpg during normal driving on the motorway journeys I useed to do for work but I only spend about 4 miles each way now and it is little more than a quick blast with the rest in urban traffic. A tank lasts me two weeks now which is a lot better on my wallet.

Got about 14mpg on track...

How many miles in a week do you do? I do 250, so would that be a tank a week for me too?

I'm sure I've said this before but the whole x tanks per week and x cost per tank thing is misleading and not what you want to know. Different cars have bigger tanks than others and so on....

MPG is the best way to measure the cost. Some people **** themselves when the tank shows under half and some people like me like to run the car rather low on fuel and then brim it.

Don't ask "how many tanks" a week, ask what mpg someone is getting.

I'm sure I've said this before but the whole x tanks per week and x cost per tank thing is misleading and not what you want to know. Different cars have bigger tanks than others and so on....

MPG is the best way to measure the cost. Some people **** themselves when the tank shows under half and some people like me like to run the car rather low on fuel and then brim it.

Don't ask "how many tanks" a week, ask what mpg someone is getting.

No offence; but im pretty sure i can ask for what ever information i need to gain knowledge about a certain car :confused:

No offence; but im pretty sure i can ask for what ever information i need to gain knowledge about a certain car :confused:
But it's a meaningless measure. If Draigflag fills up twice a week but only puts 20l of fuel in and I fill up once a week and put 40l of fuel in......

Back