Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #601
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
donkeyuk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

HI

also where about is the dipstick to check oil level for the gearbox I have been told that there is one but I cant see it anywhere, am I right in saying the the transition fluid goes into the plastic reservoir with the screw top lid just under the battery department
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donkeyuk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #602
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,420
Thanks: 255
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyuk View Post
HI

also where about is the dipstick to check oil level for the gearbox I have been told that there is one but I cant see it anywhere, am I right in saying the the transition fluid goes into the plastic reservoir with the screw top lid just under the battery department
What type of fluid did you put in the plastic reservoir?
Was it low before you put fluid in?

How much fluid did you need to add?

Dipstick for gear box , I don't know.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

jackwhoo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #603
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
donkeyuk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Quote Originally Posted by jackwhoo View Post
What type of fluid did you put in the plastic reservoir?
Was it low before you put fluid in?

How much fluid did you need to add?

Dipstick for gear box , I don't know.
The oil that I was given by halfords is "Gear Oil" EP75W/80 GL-4

I put less then 1/4 cup in
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donkeyuk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #604
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 8,745
Thanks: 911
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyuk View Post
The oil that I was given by halfords is "Gear Oil" EP75W/80 GL-4

I put less then 1/4 cup in
!

If you have put gear oil into the selespeed fluid reservoir, this is not good news.

Your car has a manual gearbox with a robotic selespeed unit bolted onto it. The gearbox uses normal gearbox oil (which is what you bought); the selespeed unit uses its own specialist fluid made by Tutela. You need to plug the car into a suitable computer and run diagnostic software even to properly check the selespeed fluid level, as the system must first be depressurised.

According to the manufacturer, if you put anything other than the correct fluid into the selespeed unit, you risk ruining the pump and actuator.

This is the fluid you need for the selespeed unit.

Unless you know what you are doing, I strongly suggest you do not do anything else, and that you do not drive the car until you have sought specialist advice.
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"


Last edited by jrkitching; 2 Weeks Ago at 21:22.
jrkitching is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #605
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,420
Thanks: 255
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyuk View Post
The oil that I was given by halfords is "Gear Oil" EP75W/80 GL-4

I put less then 1/4 cup in
Oh no , I am so sorry to hear that.


The oil halfords gave you is for the gear box. Not the selespeed/duologic unit ,often called the "robot" .

The robot is what controls the clutch and gear change functions in your car.

The robot needs very special oil.
DO NOT ADD any more of the wrong oil to the robot.

You definitely need to find a dualogic specialist. Not just an automatic gearbox specialist , not a fiat dealer they will say they know what they are doing but they always say that and most often don't but will charge you more than the car is worth.
You need a dualogic specialist.

In the meantime try the battery and battery lead fixes.
If that doesn't work You may end up looking for a new car.

Was the robot fluid low in the reservoir?

Also check the brake lights aren't on all the time when ignition switched on. The robot doesn't like it if it thinks the cars brakes are on all the time.

Was your car unused for weeks during lock down?

PS selespeed, dualogic, duologic are different names for the same thing
Likes jrkitching liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by jackwhoo; 2 Weeks Ago at 21:23.
jackwhoo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #606
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 8,745
Thanks: 911
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

I came across this article recently, which may be of interest. It appears to be translated from Russian, and isn't he easiest of reads, but there's quite a bit of technical information in there.
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

jrkitching is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #607
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 8,745
Thanks: 911
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Quote Originally Posted by jackwhoo View Post
The robot needs very special oil.
DO NOT ADD any more of the wrong oil to the robot.



Tutela CS (the correct hydraulic fluid for the robot) is fully synthetic; Halfords GL4 is a mineral oil. Putting mineral oil into a system designed for, and run with, synthetic fluid can cause irreperable damage to the seals.

If serious seal damage has occurred, then it's going to need a new actuator and a new pump; probably an uneconomic repair on a 12yr old car. It may possibly be sufficient to drain, flush and refill the system with the correct fluid; this is probably worth trying as the next step, but this will need to be done by someone with both the equipent and knowledge to do it properly.
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

jrkitching is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #608
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
donkeyuk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Quote Originally Posted by jrkitching View Post



Tutela CS (the correct hydraulic fluid for the robot) is fully synthetic; Halfords GL4 is a mineral oil. Putting mineral oil into a system designed for, and run with, synthetic fluid can cause irreperable damage to the seals.

If serious seal damage has occurred, then it's going to need a new actuator and a new pump; probably an uneconomic repair on a 12yr old car. It may possibly be sufficient to drain, flush and refill the system with the correct fluid; this is probably worth trying as the next step, but this will need to be done by someone with both the equipent and knowledge to do it properly.
Thank you for the reply all, I feel very stupid now lol.

question if I was to drain it out ( there was only alittle added) could I refill with the correct fluid ?

What do you mean using correct equipment to do this ?

The car has not been used since putting the wrong fluid in so should not have done to much damage, I HOPE
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donkeyuk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #609
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,420
Thanks: 255
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyuk View Post
Thank you for the reply all, I feel very stupid now lol.

question if I was to drain it out ( there was only alittle added) could I refill with the correct fluid ?

What do you mean using correct equipment to do this ?

The car has not been used since putting the wrong fluid in so should not have done to much damage, I HOPE
Don't feel stupid lots of people do it.

Don't open the drivers door , that causes the robot pump to run which will mix up the fluids.

If you havent opened the drivers door or switched on the ignition since wrong oil.Your best bet to try to remove the contaminated fluid "on the cheap" would be to suck all the fluid out of the reservoir and refill with selespeed fluid(not atf) .

In the meantime open the bonnet, without opening drivers door, disconnect battery negative lead to ensure robot pump doesn't run mixing the wrong fluid with the correct fluid.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by jackwhoo; 2 Weeks Ago at 22:36.
jackwhoo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #610
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
donkeyuk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Thank you for all your help, I will try and empty the tank and replace will get back to you with how it goes lol.

Any easy way of draining it out
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donkeyuk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #611
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,420
Thanks: 255
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyuk View Post
Thank you for all your help, I will try and empty the tank and replace will get back to you with how it goes lol.

Any easy way of draining it out
Oil suction pump????
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

jackwhoo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #612
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 8,745
Thanks: 911
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Quote Originally Posted by jackwhoo View Post
Don't feel stupid lots of people do it.


In the USA, valeters sometimes top up the windscreen washer fluid when washing/parking cars; when the Alfa selespeeds first hit that market, a surprising number of them put the washer fluid in the selespeed reservoir. Apparently even main dealers were doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyuk View Post
I will try and empty the tank and replace will get back to you with how it goes lol.
I really don't know if this will be enough, or how thoroughly the contaminated fluid needs to be flushed from the system, but at this stage, you have little to lose from trying. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.


Quote Originally Posted by donkeyuk View Post
What do you mean using correct equipment to do this ?
You need software to control the operation of the selespeed system when doing stuff like this. It's needed even to check the fluid level.

Go investigate multiecuscan.net, which also has its own forum.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyuk View Post
Any easy way of draining it out
Cheapest way is with a syringe and rubber tubing.

Be aware that some Alfa's have a baffle in the reservoir which prevents you from getting the fluid out this way; I don't know if this applies to the 500.
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"


Last edited by jrkitching; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:59.
jrkitching is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #613
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
donkeyuk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Hi,all

I have managed to drain all the oil out and replaced with the correct fluid,the car still has no reverse and still slips into neutral when slowing down.

Someone did mention before about when you open the drivers door you should here a weering sound like a pump going but that dont happen on mine, could this be the problem ie not enough pressure ( pump failed? )

When I do drive the car it changes gears no problem it's very smooth it's just when u slow down. It also says check transmission check manual.

Any ideas at all ?

Thank you
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donkeyuk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #614
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
donkeyuk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by donkeyuk View Post
Hi,all

I have managed to drain all the oil out and replaced with the correct fluid,the car still has no reverse and still slips into neutral when slowing down.

Someone did mention before about when you open the drivers door you should here a weering sound like a pump going but that dont happen on mine, could this be the problem ie not enough pressure ( pump failed? )

When I do drive the car it changes gears no problem it's very smooth it's just when u slow down. It also says check transmission check manual.

Any ideas at all ?

Thank you
Could the relay have failed on this too?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donkeyuk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #615
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
donkeyuk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: The one and only Dualogic failure thread

Hi all

Sorry to be a pain but is anyone able to shed any light on this really keen to get this solved,

Really much appreciated

Thank you
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donkeyuk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) 500 Dualogic failure cowaznik 500 66 22-06-2016 08:50
1.2 Panda Dualogic Failure scelik22 Panda 7 14-02-2015 09:18
(T) Gearbox Failure on 1.2 Dualogic. Iorek Panda 8 07-02-2015 14:34
(T) Dualogic failure number 2 ahmett 500 14 04-10-2014 11:26
(G) Dualogic transmission failure webinfoguy Grande Punto 2 18-05-2014 23:06