Register Login
FIAT Auto Specialist Team
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26-12-2012   #1
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Camber

Hello guys, tomorrow i am planning on changing my 4 tires. I have done 60000km on them so i was thinking of adjusting the camber to factory settings even though the tires are wearing evenly all across so i dont think there is an issue with it and i dont feel tugging at the steering wheel. What do you guys think? What causes a change of camber, too much sliding on the front? Is it i best check all 4 wheels for camber or only the front 2?


What is the factory setting for the Fiat 500 in terms of camber?
Thank you for your advice.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ahmett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-12-2012   #2
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,751
Thanks: 851
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Camber

camber isn't adjustable on the 500
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-12-2012   #3
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,751
Thanks: 851
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Camber

Unless you buy camber bolts
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-12-2012   #4
Um......
 
jnoiles's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
Thanks: 106
Trader Rating: 0
jnoiles has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Camber

Or you put in the top mounts the wrong way around. Then you score 1.5 deg of negative camber on each side. Variable as the top mount slowly deteriorates though.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

jnoiles is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-12-2012   #5
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 9,060
Thanks: 964
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Camber

Quote Originally Posted by ahmett View Post
Hello guys, tomorrow i am planning on changing my 4 tires. I have done 60000km on them so i was thinking of adjusting the camber to factory settings even though the tires are wearing evenly all across so i dont think there is an issue with it and i dont feel tugging at the steering wheel. What do you guys think? What causes a change of camber, too much sliding on the front? Is it i best check all 4 wheels for camber or only the front 2?
In which case, leave well alone .
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

jrkitching is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-12-2012   #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Re: Camber

Quote Originally Posted by jrkitching View Post
In which case, leave well alone .


Sorry guys i meant wheel alligment! Do i need to get that looked or shall i leave it well alone = )


Once again, apologies for my lack of technical knowledge!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ahmett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-12-2012   #7
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Devon and Umbria
Posts: 2,137
Thanks: 212
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Camber

Quote Originally Posted by ahmett View Post
Sorry guys i meant wheel alligment! Do i need to get that looked or shall i leave it well alone = )


Once again, apologies for my lack of technical knowledge!
Step away from the suspension!!!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

babbo_umbro is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-12-2012   #8
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 9,060
Thanks: 964
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Camber

Quote Originally Posted by ahmett View Post
Sorry guys i meant wheel alligment! Do i need to get that looked or shall i leave it well alone = )
I guessed that was what you meant.

If the tyres are wearing evenly, all should be well. The two main reasons why it might go out of alignment are if the suspension is excessively worn or you hit something very hard (like a kerb or a pothole) with one of the front wheels.

If the person checking and adjusting the alignment isn't competent and careful, it's easy to get it wrong and I've seen too many prematurely worn tyres after cars were needlessly adjusted incorrectly. Whilst we're on this subject, FIAT themselves aren't too good at getting it right, even out of the factory. This is one case where I'd adopt the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy.

Keep looking at the tyres regularly and at the first sign of feathering or uneven wear, definitely check the tracking - but otherwise, leave it well alone.
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

jrkitching is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-12-2012   #9
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Re: Camber

Quote Originally Posted by jrkitching View Post
I guessed that was what you meant.

If the tyres are wearing evenly, all should be well. The two main reasons why it might go out of alignment are if the suspension is excessively worn or you hit something very hard (like a kerb or a pothole) with one of the front wheels.

If the person checking and adjusting the alignment isn't competent and careful, it's easy to get it wrong and I've seen too many prematurely worn tyres after cars were needlessly adjusted incorrectly. Whilst we're on this subject, FIAT themselves aren't too good at getting it right, even out of the factory. This is one case where I'd adopt the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy.

Keep looking at the tyres regularly and at the first sign of feathering or uneven wear, definitely check the tracking - but otherwise, leave it well alone.

Thank you for the advice JR! I will leave it alone. I check the tires like once every few weeks anyway. I was thinking of doing some burnouts before I change my tires today but its a shame I have the dualogic auto and I don't want to break the gearbox so no burnouts for me!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

ahmett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(OT) Can anyone say camber? sevans91 Cinquecento / Seicento 15 25-10-2012 21:33
(S) Camber m20b25 Bravo / Brava 5 27-04-2011 02:49
(T) camber problems gpactivesport Grande Punto 18 31-03-2011 10:02
(T) Camber Dom130 Grande Punto 9 04-01-2011 03:32
(T) Camber on 1.2 8v Abarthracer Punto (Mk2/2b) 18 01-10-2010 14:05