Technical Bought a mk2 x-reg - few issues

Currently reading:
Technical Bought a mk2 x-reg - few issues

3 thou is 75 microns. The surface roughness on the head left by the original fly cutter after casting is bigger than this, and is taken up by the compressible gasket. I'm sceptical that would make any difference. Nevertheless, it won't hurt, and you have peace of mind.

Thanks for that.

As for price - skimmed, bead blasted, valves relapped and checked for flushness and stem seals replaced - £70. I supplied the stem seals.

Tbh at this stage I need to get the car back together. I was looking for some guidance on what seals are which within the gasket set.

I have identified the inlet seals, temp sensor seals, exhaust manifold seals and cam cover seal(s).

Struggling with the rest.

I'll pop some pics up of the ones I don't recognise.

Coil pack o ring seal - check.
Throttle assembly seals - ?
Inlet seals - check
Exhaust seals - check
Thermostat seal - check.

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1456835321.405529.jpg

These are the seals that are left. Middle is thermostat seal. The other 2?

Coil packs you mean? I thought that but it was too small. I actually bought one of those seperately and fitted that one instead.

The top one looks familiar but just can't think where it would go.

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1456929660.960981.jpg

Gonna use this to establish that the timing set up right. This ok to use?

Gonna put the head on tomorrow, screw it down and set up the timing. If I have time will add the engine mount back on, with all the covers and see how much of this I can get done.

Friday is probably the day it might fire back into life. Fingers crossed.

I have a Haynes manual on my tablet but it's not always easy to refer to that while I'm in the middle of working on the car. Does anyone have the picture of the order for the head bolts and tightening stages?

Thanks again guys.

Ok. Forgot I had an induction for my little girls nursery today plus a puncture in my golf which meant that I was delayed in starting today.

So got the head on, bolted it all up correctly and was just checking with a mate how to get the timing spot on. He tells me that I need to be careful to put the head gasket on right. After a bit of guessing I just had to whip the head off again and low and behold I had put it on right. Lol.

Anyways spent ages trying to get the timing right as I was struggling to get the right tension on the tensioner. Got it eventually. Bolted the engine mount and the timing belt covers on and started to get the inlet into place to put the nuts on and it started hailstones!!!

Anyways. I've got the inlet and fuel rail to put back on, exhaust manifold and then thermostat etc.

Looks like the rain is off. Might get a bit more done.

Got the exhaust manifold, inlet manifold, fuel rail, thermostat,rocker cover all back on. Only got battery, throttle body, ecu and airbox to fit.

Couple of issues.

The wire from the oil pressure switch snapped. Didn't tug it or that just came away.

Is it easy enough to change these sensors?

The airbox is melted pretty bad at the front. I've changed the filter but eventually I want to fit an induction kit cause it's not as messy looking.

Any recommendations?

Before I start the engine anything I should do? I haven't replaced the coolant yet but it will run for 15 secs without any issues.

I haven't changed the oil yet but again my plan to start it up and see how it's running and then change the oil and filter.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Fingers crossed it will be working by Sunday.

Got the exhaust manifold, inlet manifold, fuel rail, thermostat,rocker cover all back on. Only got battery, throttle body, ecu and airbox to fit.

Couple of issues.

The wire from the oil pressure switch snapped. Didn't tug it or that just came away.

Is it easy enough to change these sensors?

The airbox is melted pretty bad at the front. I've changed the filter but eventually I want to fit an induction kit cause it's not as messy looking.

Any recommendations?

Before I start the engine anything I should do? I haven't replaced the coolant yet but it will run for 15 secs without any issues.

I haven't changed the oil yet but again my plan to start it up and see how it's running and then change the oil and filter.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Fingers crossed it will be working by Sunday.

My son said going for this one because has crank case breather attachment and cheap. Actually my idea but if its wrong don't blame me, will let u know if it fits ok

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121840198459?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yeah let me know cause £25 relatively cheap. Obviously this is all on the basis that my punto starts. lol.

Ok guys. As expected it's not starting.

Things I've checked.

Firstly - the code light is coming on and going off ok.
Secondly - can hear the pump priming.
Thirdly - there is a smell of fuel
In the engine bay after attempting to crack in.

When cranking it's just cranking doesn't try and catch.

I think I've got the wiring loom that runs across the top of the engine upside down but everything still connected in the right place.

The only issues I've been experiencing is the leads getting them back into place.

But even if one lead was dodgy it would still start?

Any suggestions on what to check next?

Didn't remove crankshaft pulley or crankshaft sensor.

Timed correctly? I think so. Used the bell housing plus the cam shaft pulley arrow and they lined up. Maybe could be 1 or 2 tooth out max but it's not even threatening to start.

I read on here someone had something similar and it was cause there battery was fault and they replaced it. I can't imagine that my unipart battery is under 5 years old so that could be at fault.

It gave me a few strong cranks before it slowed down so I doubt it is that but it's on charge currently.

The fact that it's not even threatening to start makes me think it's maybe spark related.

A mechanic I know gave me a checklist to work through but with no battery power to crank the engine and check things like spark or fuel, I'm kinda at a loss. I had a wee wiggle at the crankshaft sensor but seems solid. My dashboard just shows the standard lights when ready to start but as soon as I crank it the dash lights all disappear so maybe it's not able to draw enough from the battery?

Any of this make sense?

Back