Technical Bought a mk2 x-reg - few issues

Currently reading:
Technical Bought a mk2 x-reg - few issues

Hi.

Yeah but then I'd need to drain it again. I don't need to use the car until end of the week so will sort it properly. I've accidentally put the cambelt cover back on without the crank sensor wiring inside it. Oops.

Gonna need to squeeze it back in. I've got a sneaky suspicion that the misfire is still there. Lol.

Only thing I haven't replaced is the coil packs so far. Lol. I have spares so that's the job for Thursday. Coolant battery tray and taking the car for a run.

Don't have the right cable. Got an opcom adaptor but can't get it working. Looking at getting one.

Oh it's all went tits up.

Filled it with coolant and it's poured out the thermostat. Upon inspection the 10mm bolts I've used are too long for the thermostat. Think they off the top of the cam cover near the coil pack? If anyone has a picture of the bolts off the thermostat or the cam cover next to the carrier I can compare.

Anyways in my attempt to switch the bolts around I accidentally dropped a bolt into the gearbox through the inspection hatch at the top of the gearbox (mine doesn't have a cover)

So there is a bolt in the gearbox. Removed the lower gearbox panel next to the sump and can't see it. Rotated the engine and still it isn't near the bottom.

Started the car up and it's not making any funny noises.

So trip to scrapyard tomorrow for the correct bolts and then need to fill the car with coolant again. Worst case scenario I'll need to do the clutch aswell if that 10mm gets lodged somewhere nasty.

Just can't believe this.

You're positive in went in there? seems pretty unlikely:slayer: maybe the gear box drain plug is magnetic and its stuck there, has it gone in where the timing marks are what are the chances unless you actually saw it I wouldn't believe it. Pretty sure there will be enough clearance to hopefully get away with it. You can get the bolts from any hardware shop I did, the ones from the scrap yard will probably just snap when you try to unscrew them.

Last edited:
It defo went in. There is no cover. It stuck at the top and I tried to pick it out and it slipped down the side.

I turned the engine manually and heard it fall further.

I'll maybe pop into b&q and grab one.

Might phone fiat as well.

The bolt size isn't an M6.

It's bigger than that but not an M8. Maybe like a 6.5 or something like that?

Obviously fiat isn't open until Monday again so I'm stuck. Gonna go to the scrapyard early Monday morning. Only option really.

Ok.

Found a scrapyard that was open on a Sunday. Bit of a pr*ck of an owner but managed to get another air box and 4 bolts. The 2 off the cam cover and the 2 off the thermostat. Just lucky the bolts didn't shear as the battery tray ones did.

The bolts are rusty so whacked them into Coke to clean them up.

Will put the thermostat back on and get the coolant into the system tomorrow and hopefully I can finally get this up and running.

I'll then find out about that bolt and whether it's gonna cause me any issues.

I'll get some videos of it running.

I need to get an ob2 cable as I think I have an ecu code stored.

And it's running.

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1458556815.823321.jpg

It's still idling rough though.

There is an engine management light on as you can see but I don't have the cables to check it.

Anyone know if there is a store I'll be able to get them from or whether I have to order them online.

Thanks

Management light off.

I've changed coil pack, plugs, leads, throttle body, head gasket and all the seals for exhaust and inlet.

I've got a blow in my exhaust, would that cause the sticking revs?

Or is it the ecu?

accelerator cable isn't caught is it? ECU wouldn't cause high revs, misfire yes, you really do need a code reader £10 or less until then you're guessing.

It's not so much sticking revs as much a slow to return to idle?

It also idles poorly. It might be the hole in the flexi causing the issues so I'll get that changed first.

And I've ordered the cables.

Won't be exhaust, so have to look elsewhere. i started 1 with no exhaust didn't idle badly. definitely got timing right? and no air leaks.

Last edited:
Cheers for that.

I've got the exhaust anyways as mot due next month.

Could it be crank sensor? Done some reading last night and some peoples problems were fixed with that.

sticky throttle body?
certainly more likely than crank sensor and free to try. so remove air filter box and rev manually and make sure its returning to idle position correctly. Crank sensor will probably show up MES if its faulty. Not into keep buying parts until you have tested all the free stuff.

Last edited:
I'll try checking the throttle body.

Anything else I can check? It's got a rough idle as well, can't see that being the throttle unless the stop is too far out?

ECU USUALLY shows p0351 fault weak signal to coil A/B

Hopefully my cables will arrive today.

I think I've already checked the throttle cable moves freely.

Maybe mess around with the stop and see what happens with that.

I suppose if the inlet manifold was cracked it would the issues I'm experiencing. I just don't think it's that as the car doesn't get any better when it's cold or warm.

So you sprayed and clean the breather on throttle body? Think might lose power with leaking manifold not sure about just idling.

Last edited:
Back