Technical Bought a mk2 x-reg - few issues

Currently reading:
Technical Bought a mk2 x-reg - few issues

I've took the throttle body off and fully sprayed it with carb cleaner and cleaned it with a toothbrush. Even changed it over for a spare one I've fully cleaned as well. No difference.

The only thing that made a slight difference was the map sensor cleaning but I don't know if they fail that much or whether that would give the symptoms I'm seeing. It worked better for like 5 miles after I cleaned that but went back to normal again?

While you're still checking everything you should do the valve clearances, check and re-shim accordingly. You've had the valves and head looked at so clearances will almost certainly have changed a bit, and they may have been out before. If you're clever and think about it then for each "closed" position you rotate a piston to you can check 2 valve clearances at the same time.. one on that cylinder and another on it's "partner" -.e.g. 1 and 4, 2 and 3.

Remember that you had running problems initially and the HG and compressions weren't too bad so there is probably something lurking. Exhaust leaks can cause problems especially if they are upstream of a lambda sensor, they will mess up the local mixture and give the wrong reading back to the ECU.

Valve clearances?
I'm not sure how to do that, the machine shop relapped the valves and replaced the valve stem seals and they checked the head over for me. Would they have checked it?

I think the leak in the exhaust is below the lambda.

It was quite white when it was running on Monday out the exhaust but put that down to it sitting without the exhaust manifold on for weeks and the car is on the drive not in the garage. Gonna take it a run today. My cables arrive today so hopefully can do some number checking and make sure sensors are operating the way they should.

There is plenty of threads on here about what to expect from coils etc so I'll have a check and compare my data.

Maybe need to do a compression test again when it's warm as well.

Ok guys.

Bad news.

Firstly replacing the exhaust didn't sort anything.

Secondly the car is f*cked. It's needing a power of welding. The guy before had painted it underneath to make it look better but it's completely rotten at the rear of the car. Needs extensive welding to rear and repair welding to existing repair on front drivers footwell.

So I'm out. I don't know how to weld and it's beaten me this car.

So I'm selling it with all the spares I have. If anyone wants to take it id be happy to sell it on cheap as I'd rather see someone get the use of the car. But I need to cut my losses unfortunately.

Really appreciate everyone's help but it's not worth me spending anymore on it as it's supposed to be a cheap runaround and it's just not anymore.

I sold it last night for £100. Just wanted it off my drive. I've got loads of spares for it. So gonna advertise them on the forum and gumtree. Obviously do a deal for any forum members as rather it kept other people's cars on the road.

As jazz452 says, it's defo worth getting another mk2 Punto: buy carefully, and you'll have a great little car on your hands. And you'll have a better idea of what to look for now, so you can avoid getting another 1 with issues.

I check oil and water, if coolant is clear liquid walk away, to many topups, if coolant looks ok start engine if it ides rough for 3 seconds walk away. leave ticking over for 1 minute if engine starts to rock,walk away. the last 1 i bought passed all I drove 50 yards and bought it. 2 months later ECU went cheap and easy fix, it runs like new car
for now.:slayer:

Ok guys appreciate the support you've all shown.

If my attempts to sell the stuff fail I might buy another punto as a run around.

I've got my eye on a fiat coupe at the moment, hence why no rush to get a punto again.

I've put an ad in classifieds. Anyone who's helped me, if anything you need let me know and I'll sort you out with a good discount.

Thanks again for all your help.

Guys these punto parts still not sold. I'll be in Lincoln area next weekend if anyone wants to offer me £50 for the whole lot!!!

As for my next car ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1460015651.052307.jpg

One of the jobs I'm getting done is rust inspection and undersealing. Not having this happen again!

Just saw messages from people from last year who wanted those parts. I unbelievably still have them. So if anyone wants them contact me.

Back