Barbara_s_Panda_4x4_004.jpg

Panda (Classic) Barbara's Panda 4x4.

Introduction

My Partner Barbara has finally got her own Panda.

It's a 1990 4x4 in a lovely light blue metalic. New wheels and tyres were added today, new tan interior, engine upgrade, and chunkier tyres to come soon.

Not so much fun is a gearbox overhaul. :(

Finished the first door panel..............

Three more to go, even though I'm not going to use them now. I've seen a better option for the interior so have to start it all again :( :D.

So if anyone wants to buy a complete custom interior in beige ( Alfa front seats with matching Panda rear, door and rear side panels, matching dashboard ) let me know. Otherwise I'm sure I can use it myself in another Panda, already have two in mind :p.

Would look really good in that Sisley you want to restore Vernon! :idea:

It certainly would if someone wanted to go that way with it, but I think most would want it restored to original spec. I'm happy either way

Having said that, I've got Alfa seats coming out of my ears at the moment, I'm quite looking forward to restoring the Mk1 where it will be all original. :p

Just bumping this thread as I'll be back on it now that the White 4x4 is gone. I only have about a week to spare to get it ready for the NEC show :eek: as I need to move Gavin's panda project on too. Long days coming up :(.

One step closer, at least it's back up to the workshop now........

There's no way the running gear and engine swap can be done in time so I'm just going to concentrate on bodywork and interior........

The rear seat has been a problem. I wanted to do something a little better this time, the Panda seats look nice clothed in Alfa leather but they still lack shape, so I've asked the trimmer to add a little more foam. The trouble is there isn't enough good leather on the Alfa back seat to cover it :(. I bought some matching vinyl to make the dash and door cards, the dash is done but what's left has now been used to supplement the leather on the back seat. Apparently it's finished, but I haven't seen it yet. This now means that I have to get hold of some more vinyl for the door cards, the problem there is that the colour supplied is not always consistent. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This was the situation when hurricane Sandy hit..........

Interior stripped ready to start building the new. Things have moved on since this but don't have pics yet.

More rock sliders made for this one, will be getting them and the sump guard powder coated this week.

Well the sump guard and rock sliders went today. I had a look at their swatches and have chosen a lovely colour. I did have something in mind but when I saw the colour I've chosen I knew it was even better suited to the car than what was in my head, so looking forward to getting them back.

Seat subframes are nearly done, dashboard is in, carpet is waiting for some more adhesive but the extra sound insulation is in.

Finding some more matching material for the door cards is proving a real pain, wish I'd ordered more when I bought that first piece :bang:. It doesn't look as if I will find some before the NEC so may have to fit temporary panels. :(

I've removed the original 4x4 stickers and have no plans to renew them, not with originals anyway, but will experiment with a couple of alternatives.

I'm being deliberately vague as I want to reveal the finished look before I run through the details, but here's a little teaser pic for now.....

Last edited:
One more day to go and still loads to do. :eek:

I think I've solved the poor running problem that stopped us showing at the Newbury classic car show at the weekend. I've changed the distributor for a spare and it's ticking over much better, but I can't try it on the road as it's been in bits since.
I hadn't noticed before but the rear silencer is blowing, I've tried everywhere but can't get one before the NEC so it will have to go in a little noisy. :(

All the exterior is now done so it's just the interior to finish tomorrow, but that's quite a big job now as I've managed to get some leather for the door and rear panels that match the seats. I fitted the old original interior from the white 4x4 for the Newbury show so that's got to come out now. Seat subframes are finished and just need painting, plus some other bits and bobs need paint too but may not have time.

I also fitted some modified front ball joint carriers today to try and get rid of the positive camber on the front wheels, again I won't know how effective they are till the car is all back together and I can drive it out of the workshop. Late night tomorrow I think. :(

Picked up the dashboard today, very pleased with the result. :)

The main material is a lovely alcantara, I won 2 1/2 metres of it on eBay for £6 :p. Front roll is vinyl, I asked for a window to be cut in it so that I could use a veneer around the foam roll to create a wooden dash panel of sorts :eek:.

The sun visors have been covered in perforated leather, another bargain. The upholsterer had the leather as offcuts from a job he'd finished a couple of years ago, sold the lot to me for £20, and there's plenty left to put elsewhere ;).

Gavin's dash should be finished next week too, for the Panda Panda project. Looking forward to seeing the result.

With all the goings on here at work and home I'm struggling to keep upon things but I have to point out just how jealeous I really am after reading this post. What your doing is exactly what I'd planned for the French Panda but simply don't have the time to do. Even down to the same materials. Amazing work you are doing :worship: and one I'll now be watching while kicking myself that I'm a year away from doing. :worship:

One request though, can you make the photo's a good size so I can really see the attention and work that's going into it.

Truly excellent work my friend. :slayer:

With all the goings on here at work and home I'm struggling to keep upon things but I have to point out just how jealeous I really am after reading this post. What your doing is exactly what I'd planned for the French Panda but simply don't have the time to do. Even down to the same materials. Amazing work you are doing :worship: and one I'll now be watching while kicking myself that I'm a year away from doing. :worship:

One request though, can you make the photo's a good size so I can really see the attention and work that's going into it.

Truly excellent work my friend. :slayer:

Thanks Stuart, praise indeed coming from you. (y)

I will be bringing this up to date as soon as I recover from the NEC!

Just a couple of exterior shots for now, taken yesterday......

Thanks Stuart, praise indeed coming from you. (y)

I will be bringing this up to date as soon as I recover from the NEC!

Just a couple of exterior shots for now, taken yesterday......

i am loving the new look it looks perfect mate

also have you thought about clear side repeaters if there the same as cinq ones the clear seicento ones will fit straight on :yum:

i am loving the new look it looks perfect mate

also have you thought about clear side repeaters if there the same as cinq ones the clear seicento ones will fit straight on :yum:

Thanks John (y)

Yes I have some Rover ones to fit along with chrome bulbs, I have chrome bulbs for the front indicators too so I can do away with the orange inner piece. I've fitted them to Charmania too, long time ago now :eek:, there will be a pic below if I can post using the phone......

Looking good (y) I'm a bit of a lover of originality but with the photos of your lovely interior and Alfa seats on the NEC thread your converting me!

I love originality too, I'd never mess with my Mk1 or Sisley For example, coz they're too rare, but when I started messing around with Pandas they were just cheap second hand cars with very few people appreciating the purity of the original design. Now people seem to be catching on to what we've known for years and original Pandas are finally becoming classics. There are still enough original ones around that I can take a few to do my own thing with but I've felt for a little while now that the time when I need to move on to something less precious is approaching fast. :eek:

Looking good (y) I'm a bit of a lover of originality but with the photos of your lovely interior and Alfa seats on the NEC thread your converting me!

I love originality too, I'd never mess with my Mk1 or Sisley For example, coz they're too rare, but when I started messing around with Pandas they were just cheap second hand cars with very few people appreciating the purity of the original design. Now people seem to be catching on to what we've known for years and original Pandas are finally becoming classics. There are still enough original ones around that I can take a few to do my own thing with but I've felt for a little while now that the time when I need to move on to something less precious is approaching fast. :eek:

Couldn't agree more. As most of you know I only like original as a rule, BUT the Panda Vernon's doing for me will be the exception to prove the rule. It had to be an unloved car, not a rare or particularly desirable version, and not one I already knew!!

There are enough unloved ones to carry on modding at the moment Vernon, but the end of the world is nigh....... :p

Thanks John (y)

Yes I have some Rover ones to fit along with chrome bulbs, I have chrome bulbs for the front indicators too so I can do away with the orange inner piece. I've fitted them to Charmania too, long time ago now :eek:, there will be a pic below if I can post using the phone......

Just realised you're not John! :eek:. Getting my Cheeky Cinqy and Cheekylittlescamps mixed up. :p

Back